Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crockett305
Shoot your rifle until you are completely familiar with its capabilities and go kill an elk…
The 3 things that will instill confidence: 1) practice 2) practice 3) practice[/quote]

Take them all to the range, shoot all of them out to 400 yards from varying field positions.

I think you will soon figure out which rifle is primary, back up, and so forth. May even decide to move one down the road. crazy

Every combo listed will take an elk.

Arcus Venator
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
You should keep thinking about it and stay home...

With a 493 mile walk and a river to swim ahead of you, you might want to ponder things beyond your fantasies.
Comprender.?!?!?🤣

In that case pick the rifle chambered in the biggest and baddest cartridge you have. Don't practice and don't bother with a good zero. Rely on the "knock down power" to get the job done......

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/10/23.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
OP, Curiosity on my part, which one of the rifles you posted about would not be suitable and why?

Maybe the real question is “OP, Which bullet are you thinking about running.?”🙂

I’ve found my bullet and load for whitetails the 110 gr TTSX out of either the 270 Winchester or WSM.
For moose my 35 Whelen and 35 Whelen AI works, but I’m not into the recoil all that much anymore.

I’ve never shot an Elk.

Inside of 400 yards I figure velocity trumps B.C. especially when using a bullet constructed like the TTSX.

I haven’t picked my bullet yet.
And there comes a point when I begin to sacrifice S.D. For velocity, but I don’t know how much that matters within that potential distance on that particular animal.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The answer is one of your 270win with 145gr eldx.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

.270 with a partition or accubond.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuzzH

.270 with a partition or accubond.

This ^^^^^^

Happen to set my 270 up AB but it shoots Partitions just as well with the exact same load.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Guy could close his eyes and walk into any one of them rifles and do fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Iffn' you can handle the 300 with 168 TTSX that would be my huckleberry. Easy out to 4 hundred

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You should keep thinking about it and stay home...
Yup, the campfire these days. Nothing but azzholes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you lose your ammo on the way the 3006 / 270 might be easier to replace.

It’s funny I thought the 280 would have more of a following?

What’s the deal?

BTW best of luck.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Which rifle are you the most at home with, fits you the best, have the most confidence in, are more likely to shoot with in practice? Forget the 'numbers'. Numbers don't kill elk, luck and good shooting does.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I dont know what is wrong with people now days. A guy is just asking other hunters opinions on what riflle they would use. He shouldnt have to listen to these smartass remarks from some moron that probably doesnt even hunt elk. Most of us on here would like to help another hunter out, but there is always a few that think they are funny and smart, that just show their ignorance. If you cant help the man out, keep your big mouth shut. Just my opinion. Good luck on which rifle you decide on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d go with any of them. All great options.

400 yards is gravy with any of those listed.

Yep, where I hunt I could take a different one every day. The OP's list is a good one. Any would work, given the proper bullet and if the rifle is sound: reliable and accurate. I'd be thinking about other things like what I was going to do after the elk was down. Is the OP prepared in that manner? Good sharp knife (knifes) bone saw, game bags, pack frame, headlamp and flashlights and a good gps, just to name a few. The rifle is always the least of my worries.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with the most accurate in your hands,

1Minute
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Perhaps under ideal conditions of weather, angle, time, position etc. for a dedicated shooter. This serendipity probably does occur sometimes.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yep, where I hunt I could take a different one every day. The OP's list is a good one. Any would work, given the proper bullet and if the rifle is sound: reliable and accurate. I'd be thinking about other things like what I was going to do after the elk was down. Is the OP prepared in that manner? Good sharp knife (knifes) bone saw, game bags, pack frame, headlamp and flashlights and a good gps, just to name a few. The rifle is always the least of my worries.

My fellow coworker is an Alaskan guide AND ALSO is a Colorado Outfitter.
I did ask him about the points you mention and he assured me that he had all those bases covered.
His suggestion was for me to run the trigger, and he would do the rest.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by patberg
I dont know what is wrong with people now days. A guy is just asking other hunters opinions on what riflle they would use. He shouldnt have to listen to these smartass remarks from some moron that probably doesnt even hunt elk. Most of us on here would like to help another hunter out, but there is always a few that think they are funny and smart, that just show their ignorance. If you cant help the man out, keep your big mouth shut. Just my opinion. Good luck on which rifle you decide on.

I’ve been here since 2009, and have watched the ‘fire’s culture devolve into what you are commenting about.

The best thing one can do is to remember who you are and not to allow anyone else to effect your own authenticity from your own self awareness.

I, over the years, here and elsewhere have always enjoyed a good sparring session. Now days, I’ve got better things to do.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
If you lose your ammo on the way the 3006 / 270 might be easier to replace.

It’s funny I thought the 280 would have more of a following?

What’s the deal?

BTW best of luck.

The 280 is a fine choice.
I suspect that the less attention to it that you have picked up on is due to the facts you stated above.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Which rifle are you the most at home with, fits you the best, have the most confidence in, are more likely to shoot with in practice? Forget the 'numbers'. Numbers don't kill elk, luck and good shooting does.

Forgetting the “numbers” I’m most familiar with my Model 70 Featherweights.
They are heavier, and settle down better for me than the Kimbers.

I’m kind of answering my own question here.🤣

Your post makes a lot of sense, especially in light of what others have said “any of them will work.”

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Crockett305
Shoot your rifle until you are completely familiar with its capabilities and go kill an elk…
The 3 things that will instill confidence: 1) practice 2) practice 3) practice

Take them all to the range, shoot all of them out to 400 yards from varying field positions.

I think you will soon figure out which rifle is primary, back up, and so forth. May even decide to move one down the road. crazy

Every combo listed will take an elk.[/quote]

Agreed.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 338reddog, 45_100, 22 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.