Hop To
Page 25 of 37 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 36 37
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by rainshot
By whose clock do you measure time; God's or man's?
I believe every word of the Bible to be inspired by God, but for one to figure that His“day” is 24 hours and His “year” to be 12 months, is foolishness.
His being is all powerful, and He is timeless.
Someone once told me that “for a human mind to understand God would be like a dog learning algebra”.
I periodically reread chapter 38 of Job.
“ And God answered Job out of the storm….
Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth?”
Reon

Exactly. Amen!

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Coyote10
I believe every word of the Bible to be inspired by God, but for one to figure that His“day” is 24 hours and His “year” to be 12 months, is foolishness.
Someone once told me that “for a human mind to understand God would be like a dog learning algebra”.
Reon

Exactly. Amen!

So, in human terms, a day is the Earth revolving around its axis once. A year is the time it takes the Earth to make one orbit around the sun. Why does the Bible, which I assume is supposed to be a text for humans to understand, use words that don’t fit this meaning? Why not use words that would covey the actual length of time?

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys continue to forget God created time for us. The times God gives are simple to understand for someone without an agenda.

How long did it rain?

How long were the Israelites in captivity?

How long was Jesus in the tomb?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ringman
You guys continue to forget God created time for us. The times God gives are simple to understand for someone without an agenda.

How long did it rain?

Until it stopped.

Until they were let go.

Until he got out.

Pretty simple, really.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

How long did it rain?

So if a day is not a day, a year is not a year in the Bible, the statement that the Earth is only a few thousand years old (according to the Bible) is absolutely zero sense. That few thousand years could be 4.5 billion for all you know. There would be actually no way of knowing since the Bible’s description of time does not convey any useful information.

IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reon

Exactly. Amen!

Genesis specifically says mornings and evenings of each day of creation. A morning and evening is the definition of a day, sunrise to sunset and not a thousand or million years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The earth's age and Christianity are two separate issues. 2000 plus years ago, Jesus was resurrected. Before that, it's a guess. But one day in our puny brains could be 10,000 years in God's eyes, or vice versa. God made the earth. This is a fact. Why? Because the Bible says so, an a Christian should take the Bible literal. Faith. It's all about faith. I don't ask why. It's because I have faith in what the Bible tells us.

As far as the earth's age? Maybe God made it to be 5 million years old to begin with. Who knows? I just know, God made the heavens and the earth and all was good. He made day and he made night. He created man. He created woman.

As far as evolution, I believe that living things can evolve to adapt.
Like a labrador retriever having webbed feet or something like that for example. Not that we came from organisms that grew into monkeys and then evolved to humans.

God created the Earth. Believe in Jesus and his sacrifice for your sins and you can ask him one day. Only one way to the Father. That's a fact.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Made it 5 million years old at the beginning? How does that work!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Like a labrador retriever having webbed feet or something like that for example. Not that we came from organisms that grew into monkeys and then evolved to humans.
You believe and don't believe those things because you haven't studied.

Evolution doesn't propose that one kind of animal evolved into monkeys, and then we evolved from them. We still are monkeys, and apes, and humans. A species never stops being the clade that it used to be. A species cannot evolve out of its clade. On the contrary, we are still apes, the same way we are still monkeys, the same way we are still mammals, the same way we are still tetrapods, the same way we are still vertebrates, the same way we are still chordates, etc. etc.. The human species, zoologically speaking, will never stop being apes, monkeys, mammals, tetrapods, vertebrates, and chordates.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by DBT
Feel free to prove science wrong. You'll get prize for it. Roll up your sleeves and set to work!
It has been done more than you will ever admit…
DBT: The science you and others trusted so much the last 2 or 3 years has certainly backfired and killed or maimed a bunch of folks that followed the "science". The results of that experiment will be coming in for a while to come. I am part of the control group as are a bunch of stubborn Americans.

We will see.
How many years has the theory that mRNA is a good way to make vaccines survived scientific scrutiny? Not long, I'd suggest. So it doesn't have near the same status as Darwin's Theory of Evolution, which has withstood over a century of scientific scrutiny.

There's reason to doubt, in fact, whether it has ever risen to the status of theory. More likely, it's never made it out of the hypothesis category.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DBT

Because God can do anything. He knows the number of hairs on your head. He created a man and a woman from his rib. To make a rock out of thin air is nothing.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Evolution doesn't propose that one kind of animal evolved into monkeys, and then we evolved from them. We still are monkeys, and apes, and humans. A species never stops being the clade that it used to be. On the contrary, we are still apes, the same way we are still monkeys, the same way we are still mammals, the same way we are still tetrapods, the same way we are still vertebrates, etc. etc.. The human species will never stop being apes, monkeys, mammals, tetrapods, and vertebrates.

You keep being a monkey bro. I'm saying that each species is it's own and didn't evolve from another. They evolve over time to their environment to adapt and live. A human came from a human, which God made. An ape came from an ape, which God made. It's not a hard concept. Evolving to an environment is no more than an animal having a summer coat and a winter coat, or an artic fox having a white coat in the winter months, or why a dolphin or bat uses sonar, and so on...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A human came from a human, which God made. An ape came from an ape, which God made. It's not a hard concept.

In light of what we know about such things, and assuming you mean by your above statement that humans aren't (zoologically speaking) apes, monkeys, mammals, tetrapods, vertebrates, etc., it is indeed a hard concept. Impossible, in fact.

We agree that God is the Creator of all that is. He commanded the coming into existence all the matter and energy in the universe. As to how living things came about, God tells us. He says that, with regard to them, he commanded the earth and the waters to bring them forth, and they did. It doesn't say that he micromanaged how that was done.

That's not to say he didn't know exactly how it would all occur when he started the ball rolling. That's the character of prescience, which only he possesses.

A professional bowler can anticipate with a high degree of certainty the course his ball will take when he lets it go. Its progress along the course of the lane, despite the fact that he isn't micromanaging each inch of its travel, was a product of his intentional actions and, due to his skill level, he had a high degree of certainty that all the pins would be knocked down in the end. All that, despite the fact that a professional bowler lacks the character of prescience. How much more certain was God of the outcome of his command to nature to bring forth all the living creatures?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The earth's age and Christianity are two separate issues. 2000 plus years ago, Jesus was resurrected. Before that, it's a guess. But one day in our puny brains could be 10,000 years in God's eyes, or vice versa. God made the earth. This is a fact. Why? Because the Bible says so, an a Christian should take the Bible literal. Faith. It's all about faith. I don't ask why. It's because I have faith in what the Bible tells us.

As far as the earth's age? Maybe God made it to be 5 million years old to begin with. Who knows? I just know, God made the heavens and the earth and all was good. He made day and he made night. He created man. He created woman.

God created the Earth. Believe in Jesus and his sacrifice for your sins and you can ask him one day. Only one way to the Father. That's a fact.

Faith is not a pathway to truth.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Because God can do anything. He knows the number of hairs on your head. He created a man and a woman from his rib. To make a rock out of thin air is nothing.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Evolution doesn't propose that one kind of animal evolved into monkeys, and then we evolved from them. We still are monkeys, and apes, and humans. A species never stops being the clade that it used to be. On the contrary, we are still apes, the same way we are still monkeys, the same way we are still mammals, the same way we are still tetrapods, the same way we are still vertebrates, etc. etc.. The human species will never stop being apes, monkeys, mammals, tetrapods, and vertebrates.

You keep being a monkey bro. I'm saying that each species is it's own and didn't evolve from another. They evolve over time to their environment to adapt and live. A human came from a human, which God made. An ape came from an ape, which God made. It's not a hard concept. Evolving to an environment is no more than an animal having a summer coat and a winter coat, or an artic fox having a white coat in the winter months, or why a dolphin or bat uses sonar, and so on...

Just because a concept is easy, that doesn't make it true.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Belief without evidence is not the real definition of faith. The real definition of faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Blind acceptance is certainly not a pathway to truth. Question everything, do not ignore evidence to the contrary just because it doesn't jive with what you have been told or want to believe.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

What is the opposite of faith? I believe it to be doubt.
Yes, according to my Christian belief, faith is truth on a matter such as evolution and creation.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
Belief without evidence is not the real definition of faith. The real definition of faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe.

That's not how it's commonly used by fundamentalist Christians. In those circle it's not only believe without good evidence, but belief in spite evidence, even over whelming evidence to the contrary.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

What is the opposite of faith? I believe it to be doubt.
Yes, according to my Christian belief, faith is truth on a matter such as evolution and creation.

In the context of your usage of the word faith, the opposite's more akin to skepticism, logic, and reason, which can be a pathway to truth.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/11/23.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
About 6000 years ago.

In Luke , we get Jesus's full lineage going all the way back to Adam. The Bible also tells us Jesus was born during the reign of Caesar Agustus. Put the two together and it's about 6000 years.

The current Jewish calendar also says we are in the year 5781. Per the Jews it counts from the creation of the earth.

We actually don't have evidence of any evidence of anyrhing being a million years ago. We have artifacts that scientist says is millions of years old as determined by carbon dating, which science admits is flawed. Carbon dating is measuring how much carbon organic matter has in it based on its know rate of decay. However, it only works if you know how much carbon it had to begin with and the carbon in the environment affects the carbon in the organism per science. You have to know how much carbon was in the environment to give you a starting point and without it, all the age estimates are just guesses. No one knows how much carbon was in the environment in prehistoric times.

Not my words. Copied and pasted. But I'm in this category.

Page 25 of 37 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (17CalFan, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,306
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.