Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Has anyone used PatchOut or WipeOut in a DTBC coated barrel?
The reason I ask is I used PatchOut and on a newly DTBC coated Hart barrel that is prone to copper fouling. When I did, I smelled a strong odor similiar to “ammonia” on the first pass through the barrel.
The PatchOut/ WipeOut label claims it does not contain ammonia, which there is no hint of when used. so now I am wondering if there was a chemical reaction of some type with the DTBC.
FYI, the copper fouling after 10 “curing” shots was still so bad that is why I ended up using the PatchOut first and then WipeOut Foam over night.
And yes, I did Acetone to degrease the barrel after cleaning it to bare metal before applying the DTBC.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don't know why there would be a "chemical reaction" to Bore-Coat, as when properly applied it's simply a very thin silica-based layer inside the bore.

It sounds like the Bore-Coat didn't "take" for some reason--whether it had been around for a while, or something else.

How did you determine the bore was cleaned to bare metal?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s common to get a bunch of fouling during the curing shots.

DBC and WO are all any of my barrels see anymore.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Thanks, Jordan. Meant to mention that but forgot, apparently due to concentrating on the "ammonia" smell....

But also believe the fouling during curing shots is mentioned in the DBC directions--if they haven't change....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thank you both for the relplies.
MD, I check my cleaning process with a Teslong bore scope after each step.
As far as the age of the DTBC, I will need to verify but I believe the bottle was opened back in March of this year however it still has its distinct smell and also looked the same on the mop I used. The bottle was stored tightly sealed in a room that never gets over 80 degrees F.

And yes, I have found from the previous 6 barrels with DTBC, the fouling is common and actually worse during the curing process than it is without the DTBC.

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 12/11/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use Wipe Out frequently in barrels that have been coated with Dyna Tech Bore Coat and don't detect any chemical reaction. Wipe Out works fine in those barrels.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Thanks, Jordan. Meant to mention that but forgot, apparently due to concentrating on the "ammonia" smell....

But also believe the fouling during curing shots is mentioned in the DBC directions--if they haven't change....
You bet.

I didn't address the ammonia smell issue, seeing that you had it handled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Thank you both for the relplies.
MD, I check my cleaning process with a Teslong bore scope after each step.
As far as the age of the DTBC, I will need to verify but I believe the bottle was opened back in March of this year however it still has its distinct smell and also looked the same on the mop I used. The bottle was stored tightly sealed in a room that never gets over 80 degrees F.

And yes, I have found from the previous 6 barrels with DTBC, the fouling is common and actually worse during the curing process than it is without the DTBC.
I'm not sure what you were smelling, but if you cleaned to bare steel, degreased, applied DBC correctly, cured with 8-10 shots, then cleaned with PO or WO, then I'd bet you're GTG.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I use Wipe Out frequently in barrels that have been coated with Dyna Tech Bore Coat and don't detect any chemical reaction. Wipe Out works fine in those barrels.

Yes me as well. No problems at all.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I use Patch Out. I do notice an ammonia odor.

I recently started using Patch Out as I wanted to use the Sharp Shooter No-Lead in a 22rf bbl and instructions suggest to use Sharp Shooter Patch Out to follow up with the No-Lead solvent.

GOA
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A while back I contacted SharpShoot-R asking about the ammonia smell in the Wipe-Out bore cleaner. He told me it was from urea in the product, not ammonia.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.