Print Thread
Hop To
L
LJD2 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Has anyone used one for basic recovery from some snow or mud but not severe slopes or really deep mud as I am thinking of one.Was looking at the Lug All but for half the cost I can get a Maasdam and still have the rope for other things, As I do not do serious offroading,Can add a snatch block to double the pulling weight.Just curious as I really can not find to much info on this.Appreciate any info before I buy something.

Last edited by LJD2; 12/11/23.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have one that I've had for many years. Each pull on the handle only gets you a couple inches. Add a block and you only get about 1" per pull. They're a very slow process. I've never tried it for getting a vehicle unstuck so I can't say how well it would work. If you more rope to reach the vehicle, be sure it's NON-STRETCH. If it stretches at all, you'll never get the job done. After the rope's been used a few times, it seems like it gets thicker. Then it's very hard to pull it back through the pulley. In general, I've never found it to be very useful.
I also have a 2 ton puller. You can disconnect 1 end of the cable and attach it to the hook for a single line pull. That gives you 1 ton but twice the length.

Notice that it comes with a twisted rope. That's the only kind of rope it works with. The pulley is designed to pull against the twists in the rope so a smooth braided rope can't be used.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
LJD2 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
appreciate the response.Yes I am aware of using twisted static rope and the short pull but I think most pullers are that way.Still havent decided as it will not be used all that often for the application bu thanks for the info

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've found it to be more useful for stretching fence wire or lifting if you have a way to hang an overhead pulley.

― George Orwell

L
LJD2 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thxs Rock I will be looking for something a little more useful for the job

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use one to get myself unstuck on the snowmobile. I get stuck a lot and almost always ride alone, so it's a must-have for me.

Total lifesaver, but I've never used it for anything heavier than a sled (maybe 600lbs, max). As mentioned above, they are sort of slow, but they work and it's a lot faster than trying to walk 10 miles for help.

I read somewhere that they are designed to fail when you try to load them up with more than the rated weight (I think it's the handle that will bend first), so keep that in mind if you're thinking of using one for something big.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bent a handle on a come-a-long years ago. It was a cable type but most of the parts are the same. I don't remember the circumstances but I do remember cussing a blue streak because what I was pulling was under the rating of the puller.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a hi lift jack. Mine has saved me several times from a long walk for help

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Get yourself a Wyeth-Scott "More Power Puller" 3-ton capacity rope come-along type puller. That with 50ft of strong rope will get you out of most anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Get yourself a Wyeth-Scott "More Power Puller" 3-ton capacity rope come-along type puller. That with 50ft of strong rope will get you out of most anything.
Those are good tools but dang they're expensive.

― George Orwell

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Those are good tools but dang they're expensive.
And heavy - big ol chunk of cast iron. But....those are what a lot of professional woods workers - foresters, lumber crews, back country surveyors - used to carry in thier trucks before electric winches were common and the only other choice was PTO driven winches.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, Anaconda, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 10 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,121
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.