Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just an idea. Go to e bay. Look for a 7 10 ft echo ion. The original not the xl. They can be found new or slightly used. Unbreakable med fast rod. Pair it with an echo ion reel. Won't break the bank and indestructible

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In fact I just looked. There is a echo original ion 7 10 ft 185.44 free shipping

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Won't break the bank and indestructible

UPS drivers will gladly accept the challenge grin

Never fished the Kenai for 'bows, but 7 wt is the lightest fly rod I fish with. Enough backbone to muscle in humpies.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
For the time being I am sticking with Maxcatch rods. Bought a few earlier this year and was very impressed with them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Echo has lifetime breakage warranty. I have a 7 9ft and a 10 9ft. U won't be disappointed

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Echo has lifetime breakage warranty. I have a 7 9ft and a 10 9ft. U won't be disappointed

Echo has not been good about their "Lifetime" warranty of late. Most manufacturers seem to regret going there and are trying to walk back their liability. I have no issue with that on new rods, but I bought Echo rods in large part due to the warranty.

Used rods are a whole other thing and they are not inclined to cover them at all.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree on used. The one I sure on flea bay has a warranty card

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I buy a lot of my Fly Rods at Soldotna Hardware in the fall and spring.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have only fished the Kenai once, but as I recall we used 6 and 8 weight rods. The 6 weights worked fine for char. We used 8 weights for salmon.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just make sure you choose a 4 piece rod. It makes air travel so much easier. Have a fantastic memory making experience of a lifetime.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a Sage 9 foot 7wt on the Kenai for Rainbows. It was perfect weight for throwing Flesh flies, streamers and nymphing with GloBugs.

I fished from an inflatable boat with a 10hp motor and from the bank below the salmon snaggers.

The banks are lined with trees so back casting can be difficult. Roll casting works best. The current isn't conducive to wading.

I got a 14' Spey rod for roll casting next time.

I got some real nice Rainbows and a few Reds that took my fly even though not feeding.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dukxdog
I used a Sage 9 foot 7wt on the Kenai for Rainbows. It was perfect weight for throwing Flesh flies, streamers and nymphing with GloBugs.

I fished from an inflatable boat with a 10hp motor and from the bank below the salmon snaggers.

The banks are lined with trees so back casting can be difficult. Roll casting works best. The current isn't conducive to wading.

I got some real nice Rainbows and a few Reds that took my fly even though not feeding.
I agree right up to the point about reds not "feeding"... but that does not mean they will not readily take the right flies. Most fly shops are now carrying flies tied specifically for reds to take. A Fish Alaska magazine this past year includes tying instructions on a fly I designed and have been using for reds for a number of years. I rarely snag them, and never intentionally. I did grow up snagging willingly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is it tied on a size 24 midge hook?
wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by dukxdog

I agree right up to the point about reds not "feeding"... but that does not mean they will not readily take the right flies. Most fly shops are now carrying flies tied specifically for reds to take. A Fish Alaska magazine this past year includes tying instructions on a fly I designed and have been using for reds for a number of years. I rarely snag them, and never intentionally. I did grow up snagging willingly.

If you could, please post a photo. I would love to see the fly in question.
I been away from Alaska for way to long.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Is it tied on a size 24 midge hook?
wink
Sssshhhhhhhhh!!!

Some people just cannot keep a secret!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't let him fool you. Sitka's favorite fly is a 4/0 silver spider.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Don't let him fool you. Sitka's favorite fly is a 4/0 silver spider.
And I thought we were friends...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In three words you gave them color, size, and pattern!

Sheesh!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In three words you gave them color, size, and pattern!

Sheesh!
wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The standard for float fishing the Kenai is a 10', 7wt to stay outside the oars. Most guides use that particular set-up for a reason. On the bank a single hand 9', 7wt is the standard.

The upper fish are usually smaller and the flies are easier to cast so you could get away with a 6wt.

THIS^

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.