Hop To
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by antlers
Belief without evidence is not the real definition of faith. The real definition of faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe.

That's not how it's commonly used by fundamentalist Christians. In those circle it's not only believe without good evidence, but belief in spite evidence, even over whelming evidence to the contrary.

Been busy and gone for awhile.... but back for a bit....

Comment for AS....I do not believe your characterization of what is "commonly used.... those circles.... without good evidence.... belief in spite of evidence... " and so on .....is correct at all. I have run around in "fundamentalist Christian" circles for quite awhile and I have NEVER heard anything about "believing without evidence."

You are leaving out one of the most important and vital elements of Christianity and that is the role of Holy Spirit's role in conversion, belief and faith.

In a nutshell, .....

The New Testament explains it in terms of sinners being called. That is, not just told the truth about salvation, but led by God to embrace it as the truth, and to repent and receive Christ; after which they are “kept by the power of God,” Christian conversion, which is an act of man, is thus revealed as being also a work of God.

The "proof" you so often talk about is comes to the believer through the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit.

As I have posted before regarding "proof." I have it ... I have the evidence.......and it seems that you do not. Seems you do not have it ....nor understand it, so it is quite understandable that you do not include the witness of the Holy Spirit in your characterization of what "fundamentalist Christians" believe.

Edi to add: Seek and Find.....Don't Seek and Don't Find

Last edited by TF49; 12/11/23.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Coyote10
About 6000 years ago.

In Luke , we get Jesus's full lineage going all the way back to Adam. The Bible also tells us Jesus was born during the reign of Caesar Agustus. Put the two together and it's about 6000 years.

The current Jewish calendar also says we are in the year 5781. Per the Jews it counts from the creation of the earth.

We actually don't have evidence of any evidence of anyrhing being a million years ago. We have artifacts that scientist says is millions of years old as determined by carbon dating, which science admits is flawed. Carbon dating is measuring how much carbon organic matter has in it based on its know rate of decay. However, it only works if you know how much carbon it had to begin with and the carbon in the environment affects the carbon in the organism per science. You have to know how much carbon was in the environment to give you a starting point and without it, all the age estimates are just guesses. No one knows how much carbon was in the environment in prehistoric times.

Not my words. Copied and pasted. But I'm in this category.

Good job displaying your ignorance on how dating really works.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Belief without evidence is not the real definition of faith. The real definition of faith is trusting in what you have good evidence to believe.

That's not how it's commonly used by fundamentalist Christians. In those circle it's not only believe without good evidence, but belief in spite evidence, even over whelming evidence to the contrary.

Been busy and gone for awhile.... but back for a bit....

Comment for AS....I do not believe your characterization of what is "commonly used.... those circles.... without good evidence.... belief in spite of evidence... " and so on .....is correct at all. I have run around in "fundamentalist Christian" circles for quite awhile and I have NEVER heard anything about "believing without evidence."

You are leaving out one of the most important and vital elements of Christianity and that is the role of Holy Spirit's role in conversion, belief and faith.

In a nutshell, .....

The New Testament explains it in terms of sinners being called. That is, not just told the truth about salvation, but led by God to embrace it as the truth, and to repent and receive Christ; after which they are “kept by the power of God,” Christian conversion, which is an act of man, is thus revealed as being also a work of God.

The "proof" you so often talk about is comes to the believer through the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit.

As I have posted before regarding "proof." I have it ... I have the evidence.......and it seems that you do not. Seems you do not have it ....nor understand it, so it is quite understandable that you do not include the witness of the Holy Spirit in your characterization of what "fundamentalist Christians" believe.

Edi to add: Seek and Find.....Don't Seek and Don't Find

Here's something for you to mix that word salad, the The Salad Mixxxer by Mixer Co.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by Ringman
You guys continue to forget God created time for us. The times God gives are simple to understand for someone without an agenda.

How long did it rain?

How long were the Israelites in captivity?

How long was Jesus in the tomb?

So if a day is not a day, a year is not a year in the Bible, the statement that the Earth is only a few thousand years old (according to the Bible) is absolutely zero sense. That few thousand years could be 4.5 billion for all you know. There would be actually no way of knowing since the Bible’s description of time does not convey any useful information.

Very good post!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Absolutely. God says in Isaiah, "Let us come and reason together."

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
About 6000 years ago.

In Luke , we get Jesus's full lineage going all the way back to Adam. The Bible also tells us Jesus was born during the reign of Caesar Agustus. Put the two together and it's about 6000 years.

The current Jewish calendar also says we are in the year 5781. Per the Jews it counts from the creation of the earth.

We actually don't have evidence of any evidence of anyrhing being a million years ago. We have artifacts that scientist says is millions of years old as determined by carbon dating, which science admits is flawed. Carbon dating is measuring how much carbon organic matter has in it based on its know rate of decay. However, it only works if you know how much carbon it had to begin with and the carbon in the environment affects the carbon in the organism per science. You have to know how much carbon was in the environment to give you a starting point and without it, all the age estimates are just guesses. No one knows how much carbon was in the environment in prehistoric times.

Not my words. Copied and pasted. But I'm in this category.

This very day I listened to a lecture. It included a small sampling of carbon 14 dating of a mammoth. Part was 44,000 years old and part of the same mammoth was 29,500 years old.

Would you bet your life on it?

Everyday Hunter
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Coyote10,

There is a you tube video asking "Were the pyramids built before the Flood?" It is about 31 minutes long. If it is not 31 minutes long it is not the one I want you to check out. It shows the problem with the present day Jewish calendar. It also shows the manuscripts Jesus and the apostles would have used. They are slightly different from what we use today.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Coyote10,

There is a you tube video asking "Were the pyramids built before the Flood?" It is about 31 minutes long. If it is not 31 minutes long it is not the one I want you to check out. It shows the problem with the present day Jewish calendar. It also shows the manuscripts Jesus and the apostles would have used. They are slightly different from what we use today.

Is that 31 minutes in normal Human minutes? Or in "God time" were a minute really means 10 thousand years (or something like that)?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Dunning-Kruger and confirmation bias are strong in this thread!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Coyote10,

Interesting vid. From what I seen up to the construction of the tower of babel, this guy, along with atheist are dating things based on the world's population post flood.

Why did God flood the earth? It was because man's seed was corrupt and there were Nephilm in the land. These beings are not of this world. They are responsible for the building of such great structures. I believe it was Hams wife who carried the gene. Then you get giants such as Goliath and so forth. In the book of numbers and the 12 spies went to the land of Canaan they were as grasshoppers in the nephilm's eyes. The tower of babel is said to have had a base of 100 square miles. Those people where trying ro reach heaven and overthrow God. Humans could not accomplish these task. Humans could not build the pyramids to the specs of which they are built. I'm not a believer in aliens, but I do believe there were nephilm in those days.

Also if the earth was flooded in 2500-3000 BC, how much older could it be? The time from Adam to the Flood isn't a bazillion years. It's in the thousands. Around 6000.

IC B3

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Coyote10,

Interesting vid. From what I seen up to the construction of the tower of babel, this guy, along with atheist are dating things based on the world's population post flood.

Why did God flood the earth? It was because man's seed was corrupt and there were Nephilm in the land. These beings are not of this world. They are responsible for the building of such great structures. I believe it was Hams wife who carried the gene. Then you get giants such as Goliath and so forth. In the book of numbers and the 12 spies went to the land of Canaan they were as grasshoppers in the nephilm's eyes. The tower of babel is said to have had a base of 100 square miles. Those people where trying ro reach heaven and overthrow God. Humans could not accomplish these task. Humans could not build the pyramids to the specs of which they are built. I'm not a believer in aliens, but I do believe there were nephilm in those days.

Also if the earth was flooded in 2500-3000 BC, how much older could it be? The time from Adam to the Flood isn't a bazillion years. It's in the thousands. Around 6000.

I'm convinced it is less than 7,000 years old. I used to go with 6,000 prior to seeing that video.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about the bones and fossils? Ever been to that Dinosaur National Monument? After you see the Dinosaur National Monument then go up to Fossil Butte. Something was going on a lot longer than you think. Like eons longer.

It is no wonder some people turn away from Jesus' message after hearing what some of his would be followers misinterpret and espouse.

It ain't a big deal exactly how old creation is give or take a few million years. A million years isn't much in the history of the creation of earth up to the advent of the modern era.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[1:1]In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, OK, good start.
[1:2] the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Not sure how a formless void has wind and waters, but sure, whatever.
[1:3] Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. Kind of like that ‘Clapper’ thing they sell on TV, I guess.
[1:4] And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. Okay, lack of light is darkness. Not too hard.
[1:5] God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day. Yep, day and night got it.
[1:6] And God said, "Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters. Um, Dome? What?
[1:7] So God made the dome and separated the waters that were under the dome from the waters that were above the dome. And it was so. And so the sky is a dome with water above it?
[1:8] God called the dome Sky. So God is doubling down on this, The sky is a dome with water above it, Sorry God, I ‘m starting to think you are full of crap. .
And there was evening and there was morning, the second day

[1:9] And God said, "Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear." And it was so. We got land and bodies of water. Strange way to put it, but okay.
[1:10] God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. Ok. I agree it seems good.
[1:11] Then God said, "Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it." And it was so.
[1:12] The earth brought forth vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God saw that it was good. Okay, the last two paragraphs are kind of redundant. But it makes sense to bring forth plants before animals, so the animals have something to eat. Why no mention of bacteria in this chapter? Are they too small for God to see so he forgot he created them?
[1:13] And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
[1:14] And God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, This seems to kind of goes against days and years are different for God time vs People time
[1:15] and let them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth." And it was so.
[1:16] God made the two great lights - the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night - and the stars. Question! This sounds like the Sun and Moon. But God already created day and night back in paragraph 1:5. Where was the light from that God created back in 1:3, without the “great light in the sky”? How did he create day and night without the sun? That pretty much defines day and night. You’re not making any sense, God.
[1:17] God set them in the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth, Again with the sky dome. Which, as I recall, had water above it. So are the moon and the sun floating around in the water above the dome? Sorry God, I’m calling bullshit on this.
[1:18] to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
[1:19] And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
[1:20] And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky." A rather poetic way to put it. Doesn’t tell me anything useful though.
[1:21] So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, of every kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird of every kind. And God saw that it was good. Sea monsters?
[1:22] God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." Be fruitful and multiply all you sea monsters.
[1:23] And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
[1:24] And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind." And it was so.
[1:25] God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good. Once again poetic, even if the two paragraphs are redundant, but with less understanding than I got in 9th grade biology.
[1:26] Then God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." Who is “our” in our likeness. I thought there was one God. Is this one of those new pronoun things your followers are all hating on now.
[1:27] So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. So if mankind is in Gods image, is God both male and female, is God gender fluid? Is there a male in a female God. This is all kind of confusing.
[1:28] God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
[1:29] God said, "See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.
[1:30] And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.
[1:31] God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
Yeah, I can see why we are going to need to rest on the 7th day. This is all such a confusing mess; it can really be really tiresome. I'm going to put this to rest before I get to the talking serpent and donkey

Last edited by RHOD; 12/11/23.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good post.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Made it 5 million years old at the beginning? How does that work!

Because God can do anything. He knows the number of hairs on your head. He created a man and a woman from his rib. To make a rock out of thin air is nothing.

Pure magic. Proven principles of natural evolution and physics rejected in favor of magic, enchantment, conjuring and divine alchemy.

Can God create a square circle? A round triangle? Timeless time? A rock he can't lift?

The fallacy is 'special pleading' where the rules are suspended and anything can be asserted.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kolofardos
LBP will be here shortly to bestow his "Pear Review"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Damn 😍!!!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RHOD,

The text you are poking fun at is the weirdest Bible I ever read. What version is that?

Everyday Hunter
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RHOD,

The text you are poking fun at is the weirdest Bible I ever read. What version is that?

Looks like:

New Revised Standard Version
And God said, “Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”

https://biblehub.com/genesis/1-6.htm

Bruce

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp
RHOD,

Looks like:

New Revised Standard Version
And God said, “Let there be a dome in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”

https://biblehub.com/genesis/1-6.htm

Bruce

Sounds like the translaters believe in a flat earth. I met a flat earther. At first I didn't understand what he was talking about. He is as crazy as the folks who believe the big bang created them.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
RHOD,

I decided I wouldn’t pick and choose, since I’ve heard too many Christian arguing about which version is “the true word of God”, so just took the first one that come up in a search.

Last edited by RHOD; 12/11/23.
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,236
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.