Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Had tables at the Lewiston , ID gun show today, when this guy strolls by. Was a pleasure to meet and talk to !
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
You guys know him ?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mike Mountain Men Alaska?

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the last times I was in Lewiston, ID, I stopped in Lolo Sporting goods. This place used to be the favorite haunt in town for Jack O’Connor. He mentioned it several times in his books. They even used to have a 12x12 photo of him up on the wall behind the cash register. This time I noticed that the photo was absent. I asked a kid working behind the counter about it and he said “Who’s Jack O’Connor?” I was quite frankly “floored” and at the same time saddened. I left without buying anything.

Rolly
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
SlickLizard, right !! Mike Hortsman , Kodiak Alaska.
Rolly, yes , that is sad . Especially since O’Connor lived real close . I have been by his house many times .

Last edited by kenster99; 11/20/23.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Like the episodes with Mike[also happy that Marty has returned].

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a O'Conner fan but I'm aware of who he was. I used to stop into Lolo Sporting Goods long ago and pick up Speer Grand Slam seconds and I believe Bitteroot bullets. Those were good days. Haven't been there in decades but I'm sure things have changed.

It's odd by today's standards but when I was a kid there was an grocery store called Buttery's or something like that and they sold firearms and supplies. The real cool part is they had kegs of surplus rifle powder (4831?) and they'd sell you it by the pound or pounds or whatever you want. You could literally go to the grocery store and pick up a pound of powder in a paper bag and gallon of milk.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Horstman has a gun show here in Kodiak every year

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
People often don't get the full information or care.

A friend was a small town doctor. He went way beyond the call of duty and played a significant role in a new hospital being built. Shortly before his anticipated retirement, he got cancer and had to stop treating patients. Hospital had a new, horrible Administrator at the time, and rapid turnover. One night, the doc had to go the ER. While ER staff were treating him and they were talking, one staff person asked him if he used to be a nurse or involved in Healthcare as he seemed pretty knowledgeable... Six months earlier, all the staff knew and highly respected him. Six months later, they named a wing in his memory. At that time though, he was just someone that seemed pretty knowledgeable about healthcare.

A relative donated about $8 million to a not for profit to construct a new fitness center for the community. Financial donations to it were his only involvement. They put his name on the outside of it in recognition. Last year, i heard a complaint about him because of how much he charged for memberships to it.

Earlier this year, I bought an Anaconda from John Taffin. It is the new model he's featured in a book and magazine articles. When I picked it up at the local gun shop, the gun shop owner said about how nice it was and asked who John Taffin was.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 11/22/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rolly
One of the last times I was in Lewiston, ID, I stopped in Lolo Sporting goods. This place used to be the favorite haunt in town for Jack O’Connor. He mentioned it several times in his books. They even used to have a 12x12 photo of him up on the wall behind the cash register. This time I noticed that the photo was absent. I asked a kid working behind the counter about it and he said “Who’s Jack O’Connor?” I was quite frankly “floored” and at the same time saddened. I left without buying anything.

I bet Elmer walked in one day and saw that picture and pulled it down when ne one was watching.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocFoster
Originally Posted by Rolly

I bet Elmer walked in one day and saw that picture and pulled it down when ne one was watching.

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think there should be a written exam for working at a sporting goods store and a basic knowledge course. Reminds me of that Guinness beer commercial with Joe Montana in it

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by brinky72
I think there should be a written exam for working at a sporting goods store and a basic knowledge course. Reminds me of that Guinness beer commercial with Joe Montana in it

Not familiar with the commercial, but I like Guinness better than Montana.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.