Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm kinda surprised to see no one mentioned the Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt.

At carbine velocities, it hits like a 454 casull in a revolver, and has 9+1 rounds.

Light, ghost ring rear sight, what's not to like?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
GB1

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 444 with 270 gr Speers at 2200 fps. 2x7 Leupy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I think I'm going to stick with what I have for now. My Marlin 336 35 Rem. with 200 gr. Core Lokts, my Winchester model 88 308 Win. and my Remington 700 Classic in 280 Rem. In the 308 Win. I shoot 150 gr. Core Lokts. I think I'm going to go up to 165 gr. bullet of some sort that will work good on deer, boar and even black bear. I want to try the Federal Fusion ammo or 165 gr. Nosler Partition. My friend shot a nice 8 point whitetail that dressed out just north of 200 lbs. He uses a 30-06 with 165 gr. Fusion ammo. The shot was a tough one. Went in behind the ribs and went into the neck. It didn't exit. They found it when they were cutting it up. It mushroomed perfectly and didn't lose to much weight.

I probably won't use the 280 Rem. to much for boar. Maybe black bear. Again, I'm going to try and find a bullet that will work good on deer, boar and black bear. Maybe a 150 gr. Nosler Partition, I don't know.

I've been looking at Browning BAR's in 308 Win. and 30-06 Spr. (I'd love one of these in 338 Federal or 358 Win.) and Winchester's Super X Rifle in 30-06 Spr. That's nothing that going to happen anytime soon though.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm actually in the middle of building a "hog" shooter right now.
.223 AI on an AR-15 platform. Just in the middle of figuring the components out like the barrel contour and such to keep it a light weight walk about pork popper.

The build is on hold till after deer season ends. I'm to busy terrorising the oinkers with my .243. The price of gas has my order for a barrel on temporary hold.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I havent read all the posts, so forgive me if what I say is already been said.
If I hunted in open country I would probably use a lightweight rifle such as a Rem 7 in .223 and pop em behind the ear...no meat loss.
But if I hunted in real thick cover I would probably use an Ar-15 in .458 socom with a holosight system of somekind.
Those things being said, all my piggies I shot was with a bow.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would look at one of three rifles.
1. Marlin 444P "outfitter" with a Leupold scout scope setup. Caliber, of course, is the .444 Rem.

2. Browning BLR in .358 Winchester, 1.75-6x Leupold with #1 German reticle, mounted over the receiver.

3. Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen, same glass and mount set up as #2.

Any one of the three would make a pigslayer fo sho!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Rem. makes the new 750 in a 35 Whelen carbine, I owne one in the rifle, Did a trigger job, shots factory 250grn. ammo around 3/4 inch three shot group at 100. They also make it in a pump carbine. I put a 3-9 Sightron on it. Blacktail doe came bouncing along in the blackberries and found herself dead. Ate to the hole. Killed a hog once with my S&W 44 mag, less than 30 yards. Glad I hit him in the head!

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't read many replies, the big thumpers are not needed, pigs are easy to kill in the ear canal or behind the leg generally.

I'd be leaning away from my 50 beowulf and to something midrange in my AR. 6mm WOA of mine and 85 tsx would be a good start. 6.8 spc also the same. Nothing above a 308 in a larger platform, too much recoil for follow up shots.

Top it off with a jaeger infrared scope and a few mags, nothing would be safe or live.

I really think that a standard 223 with TSX in it would be fine too.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
"Rem. 7600, .30-06 carbine..... rebarreled to similar length and slightly heavier contour, in 9.3x62."

I think such a combo would be the PERFECT black and grizzly bear rifle.

But, I'd top it with a 1.5 X 6 or something close to that.

If I only knew of a Canadian gunsmith who'd do that - the cheque would be in the mail as I write!

I think your recommendation

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marlin 45-70 with a low power variable.

Here is mine.
[Linked Image]

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pumpkinheaver
Marlin 45-70 with a low power variable.

Here is mine.
[Linked Image]

Think that rig will work on a hog because it worked for me on this dude. And it was a bang flop at 112 yards.

[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I have rethought this. Previously I listed the range of calibers I have used which means that most calibers will work.

When I look at it another way, I see another side to the argument;

1. Are you hunting pigs. This means generally looking for a single animals to stalk, shoot and pay for?

or

2. Are you walking the trails where 50 or 70 pigs may run in front of you and you are culling volumes of animals as fast as you can?

I have hunted both secenarios, maybe taking into the 1,000's which is not a lot by Aussie standards.

If scenario "1" is the plan, then use your deer rifle and gain more experience with it and do not change the loads or the sighting. Just enjoy the hunt.

If you are culling pigs, go with the Marlin lever in .45/70 and you can also use the same rifle for thick timber hunting larger game.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a Model 94 Winchester chambered for a .44 Magnum. The rifle handles like a carbine, is only about 38" long and weighs about 6 pounds. Owning this rifle is kind of an accident. I have a custom rig built on a Ruger Single Six chambered for a .44. A kind-hearted family member had the '94 he won at some NRA thing and he figured it made sense for me to have a long gun and a hand cannon eating the same ammo.

I'm not sure this meets the standard of a "dedicated hog shooter" or not. I like it for the heavy twigs and pigs because it's quick, light, handy and if need be, I can Chuck Conners a pretty good stream of flat-nosed lead. I'm not sure the .44 is the be all end all, but generally the stuff I shoot with it drops pretty fast.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
All of this has been very interesting. I have shot some pigs myself, but the guy I know with the most pig experience ran a big hunting operation in California for a number of years, during which his clients took over 3500 pigs, a great many of them "trophy" hogs. He was the guy who had to chase down most wounded boars and finish them off, often in quite thick cover. His rifle of choice? A bolt-action 7x57. And he is a rifle nut of the highest order.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a neat "red" sow I shot this evening. She went 185#. Good eats right there. Rifle: .350 Rem mag Model 7 KS. Why? I just felt like using it. Needed? Hell no. Just rotating my pet rifles, and she was due for some killing.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much any deer rifle cartridge with a deer weight bullet will work.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Here is a neat "red" sow I shot this evening. She went 185#. Good eats right there. Rifle: .350 Rem mag Model 7 KS. Why? I just felt like using it. Needed? Hell no. Just rotating my pet rifles, and she was due for some killing.

Sakoluvr,

I have one of the Model 7 KS's in 350 Rem Mag too. It's one of my all time favorites and I rotate it in and out of hunts also.

Have you tried the new 225gr AccuBonds yet? I bought some but haven't loaded or shot any yet... All I've used is Partitions in my 35's in the last few years but they get so banged up in the magazines.

Gotta love those Model 7 KS's... <grin>

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LD, I do love the the Model 7. I had Kampfeld ceracoat the metal, bed the action and recrown the barrel. I also had him fill in the iron site screw holes. I have a 2.5-8 Leupold on it. It is a bitch to shoot at the range, but of course it is a pleasure in the field. I have one in the mannlicher stock in .350, but have not shot it yet. The prices for those rifles (all custom shop seven's) have gone through the roof. I lucked into both of mine at a very good price.

I am using 225 grain Woodleighs over 60.0 grains of R-15 in the KS. Kabooom! Love the short actions!!!

I shot a small boar about 20 minutes after I shot the sow. The Boar went 135 pounds, but stunk too much to make it good table fare. I could not even give it away to my buddies. whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Tar-Hunt custom slug gun in 12 gauge!!!

T
T
Just out of curiousity Sakoluvr,do you have much trouble getting Woodleighs over there and what are you paying for them?Do you use them in other calibres,cheers mate.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 3,395 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,633
Posts18,533,253
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.