Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tee3 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I’m possibly going to need a straightwall rifle for whitetail next fall and it’s looking like the 450 Bushmaster is pretty hard to beat and the Ruger gets pretty good reviews online looks like. Any of you guys have first hand experience with the Ruger in 450? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one. Haven’t shot anything with it yet because I had other rifles I bought first. Its next up in the rotation.

Its very accurate. Recoil is not that bad, but its loud. I have a 2-7 scope on it and it handles nicely. I pity the coyote that comes in range.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have one as well, balances perfectly w/ a Nikon Monarch 1-4x. The brake is effective, but LOUD.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good reviews on the Ruger Ranch rifle. Having handled it and the CVA Cascade, my choice would be the Cascade. It too has more than it's fair share of positive reviews.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Very accurate rifle. Got my whitetail last year with it. 160 Yards, one shot kill

It is the red one.

The blue is 6.5 creedmore the camo 7.62x39mm

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great rifles, I had one and passed it off to my dad to use in southern Michigan. Its a thumper and the 450 puts a hurting on the deer. Recoil is not that bad. Take the brake off and it won't be as loud to the shooter. Recoil without the brake is about comparable to a 20ga slug. Never bothered me. My dad and I shoot ours with the brakes off.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
Very accurate rifle. Got my whitetail last year with it. 160 Yards, one shot kill

It is the red one.

Good way to tell them apart. My buddy got the RAR ranch bug. He has all the cartridges they are chambered for, except for 7.62x39. He doesn't shoot the 450 much, I think he prefers the 223 and grendel right now. I put a thermal on his 223 the other night. He supplied the rings, they are a bit high, but the thermal is pretty cool. All of his RAR Ranch rifles shoot very well.

The main downfall to his rifles is how they feed. Not very smooth, and often hang up. The use of AR mags is a cool idea, but it would be nice if they were more refined to feed the ammo into the chamber better. They are a cheap rifle, so guys just deal with it I guess.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

It is the red one.

I dig those paint jobs. Homemade or did you have someone do them up for you?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had one for a few years. Restocked it with a Boyds laminate. Mine came without a brake so I added a quiet one and the heavier stock balances it out well. Carrying it with subsonic ammo this season but have yet to send one at a deer. Feeds pointed bullets fine but a little sticky with the flat point Sub-X bullets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first 450 was the ruger without a brake. Very effective as most are learning. Now I got a couple AR's in 450 so sold the ruger to my BIL. He loves it

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We use the 450 quite a bit in lower Michigan and the Ruger is very accurate. My best advice is that for hunting to be selective about your ammo. For factory try Bearcreek Ballistics or Barnes. Avoid the Hornady.

405wcf

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelruger22

It is the red one.

I dig those paint jobs. Homemade or did you have someone do them up for you?

John_boy on here.....He is the master! Highly recommend. see below

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/22087

BSA............ Never had a feeding issue (or any type) with these rugers so far.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the RAR Go Wild 450 Bushmaster. Accurate, loud, somewhat recoil. Killed a doe with it. If I was buying a 450 today, I would choose this beauty. I love this pattern.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...e-with-origin-raptor-highland-camo-stock

Check out the entire deal, pretty sweet

Ps, mine hangs up if there is two in the magazine. You push forward, then pull back to let the cartridge pop upwards, then it will enter the chamber. Forget 3+1. I'm actually ok with 1+1, so I don't really care, 1 in the chamber and 1 in the magazine is enough for me. I used Hornady this year but I'm switching to Bear Creek for next year.

Last edited by 19352012; 12/13/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
I have the RAR Go Wild 450 Bushmaster. Accurate, loud, somewhat recoil. Killed a doe with it. If I was buying a 450 today, I would choose this beauty. I love this pattern.

That would be sweet, but I don't have matching camo pants & jacket. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by 19352012

That would be sweet, but I don't have matching camo pants & jacket. laugh
Wouldn't that be the coolest, matching gun and outfit. Blued and walnut guys will never have that.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Very accurate and handy rifle. Puts 3 touching at 100yds. Super light weight as well. I removed the rail and put on Talley lightweight rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like everyone in Michigan, I owned a 450BM. I could not take the report, it was deafening loud. I wasn't a fan of the recoil either.

I shoot a 357 Max now and it does everything I need to do.

I think the new .360 Buckhammer is the best straight wall made today.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.