Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yesterday, went to pick up something for my wife at a LGS and as I pulled up to the front, an older lady I recognized was coming out. We spoke briefly. She'd just sold a handgun to the store that had belonged to her late husband. I went in and it was still sitting on the counter. First thing I noticed was the older red Ruger box. Me, being a Ruger nut, nearly ran to it before anyone else in there noticed it. Opened up the box and in it was a 100% pristine, unfired (except factory test fire), blue, Security Six with 6" barrel....1976 model, with "MADE IN THE 200TH YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY" stamped on the frame. I picked it up. I've got some GP 100's, but I've never owned a 6" Security Six. It just felt "right". It came home with me. Probably not going to remain unfired for very long.

Last edited by Skeezix; 12/13/23. Reason: Typo

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great find!

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Those are my favorite handgun. I have one in 4", .357. I think I bought it in the early eighty's or late 70's

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There was the Security Six with adjustable sights, and the more plain Service Six for duty carry. Nice guns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice find, Skeezix! Can't be enough said for being in the right LGS at the right time.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice find, Skeezix! Can't be enough said for being in the right LGS at the right time.

When my wife and I were still dating we went into one of the local gun and pawn shops looking for wedding rings, but they had a gun sale going on, so instead of wedding rings, I came out with a really nice customized Glock 43x and she came out with a KelTec P2000 in .40 S&W. A few months earlier, we went to another gun and pawn shop that's known for the good power tools they carry, looking for a framing nail gun, but she came out with a Ruger 1911. I definitely married the right girl. LOL!

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Originally Posted by local_dirt

When my wife and I were still dating we went into one of the local gun and pawn shops looking for wedding rings, but they had a gun sale going on, so instead of wedding rings, I came out with a really nice customized Glock 43x and she came out with a KelTec P2000 in .40 S&W. A few months earlier, we went to another gun and pawn shop that's known for the good power tools they carry, looking for a framing nail gun, but she came out with a Ruger 1911. I definitely married the right girl. LOL!

Haha. Yes you did.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Too bad you didn't catch her walking in!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My gunshop story like that was once around 40 years ago a lady brought in a pistol to the little shop I was kibitzing in that day. She allowed as how it was her late husband's and she wanted it gone from her house. What she whipped out of the paper bag was a little Browning Model 1900 .32ACP, in a decrepit old shoulder holster. Meh, we're thinking. And then she told the back story - her late husband had been a Flying Tiger and this was his personal sidearm when he flew P-40's against the Japanese over China. Yeah, right. My buddy the shop owner gave her a few bucks for it based on its condition and tossed it on the shelf.

About an hour later the woman came back and said she found something else that maybe should go with the gun. It was an 8x10 glossy black and white photograph of her husband wearing what was obviously the same gun, standing in front of a shark mouth P-40 with his arm around a Chinese soldier holding a Mauser with bayonet. And she said "oh, he told me once he had the holster custom made from the hide of a monkey he shot with the gun." My buddy shoved a paper and pen across the counter and had her jot down the story and serial number of the pistol, sign and date it. She left the picture there too.

After she left we darned near came to blows over who should own that gun. Finally, after tripling his investment, I went home with it. Best $120 I ever spent. Sold it a few years later for $600 to a militaria collector.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,740
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.