Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have never Chronoed a handload this time of year. Just getting over the major part of hunting season and more hunting to come so I never took the time. However, I did try out some loads in a .356 Win. since I had time this week. The velocity went from 2200 fps down to 366 fps. This happened with all loads and never happened before with this Chrono, a Past. The sun is way south of us right now and hitting the screens at a pretty severe angle. Does this affect how the Chrono reads and thus mess up the reading? New battery in the Chrono.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've see the exact same thing. I've used a chrono turned 90 degrees left or 90 right to get indirect sunlight. Turn the camera tripod head sideways to the chrono and tip it over, away from the sun

I usually can get by with a long piece of cardboard taped full length+ over the top of both sensors to get out of the sun but they'll read upside down if needed. I've seen a Caldwell that is setup that way, sensors aim down, problem solved.Link Here

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got REALLY fed up with optical chronographs lying to me all the time, or just not reading shots. Lab Radar at the time was too far above my paygrade, so a buddy and me split the cost of a V3 Magnetospeed. No more lying to me. I've used it enough over the past 5 or 6 years to just believe what it tells me. Total confidence. Proved out with long range rounds fired and things jiving nicely with what ballistic apps tell us. Used it a LOT when checking zero the day before a match. Optical chronos, never again.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I often have to rig up various cardboard shields, duct tape, etc, to keep the sun off the sensors. Downside is all those things can catch the wind. I also use a Labradar which occasionally misses bullets entirely. Prob is no perfect solution.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I use a pop up sun canopy over mine on really sunny days. Unshaded I get all kinds of wonky readings.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the new Garmin Xero C1........................ABSOLUTLY BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!!!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks all for the confirmation and the suggestions.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Thought about it but do you need a smart phone to operate it?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Thought about it but do you need a smart phone to operate it?

Not to operate it, to take the info off the device yes.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have run into the same thing.

If the sun is pounding down, I put up a make shift wall of some sort cardboard, vehicle what ever works to throw shade on the chrono. I find that more useful than the chrono defusers. I also color the bullets black with a permanent marker so they cannot reflect light as much also.

Nothing beats a calm overcast day for chrono work.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
"Nothing beats a calm overcast day for chrono work."

Unfortunately these have been hard to come by lately.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
My old Shooting Chrony is very sensitive to light. I set it up beside my friend's ProChrono and while we got near identical velocities, my Chrony missed reading several shots while his registered all shots. I prefer to use mine in open shade. Bright sun is a no go for it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,789
Posts18,496,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.