Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I hunted the high peaks for a number of years and still miss it. There are more deer closer to roads, closer to fields, closer to people's yards... than there are in the backcountry. But the backcountry is still where I preferred to go.

Snow in mid-Nov is hit or miss. You can still have nice warm days then or it might be dumping snow. Or it might dump snow and then get warm and sunny.

The counties 100 miles south I think have way more deer and way bigger deer than the 'Dacks do but to me you go to the Dacks to be in the mountains alone. All the places I hunted it was rare to see another person's footprints, anywhere. Definitely no one would have ever found my camps.

I switched over to using a hot tent after the first year: went through various iterations but finally ended up using a tipi with collapsible ti stove.

I can't see going back from the hot tent both for comfort and safety. You'll need to make two trips to pack your camp out and a deer out but that's true of all backcountry hunting.

Setting up a wall tent close to the truck is not something I had thought of. I think you'd be competing with more hunters vs going back in 4-5 miles. But there might be more deer, too.

GB1

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by eblake
Also, hunting has changed greatly, not for the better, in northern Maine since the 1970’s and 80’s due to extensive logging and the associated road building. I’d suggest staying with the area you know.
ATVs have changed a lot about hunting here in NB as well. I'm sure it's the same across in Maine.

Thankfully ATVs are not permitted in the North Maine Woods and in most places that are commercial forestlands in Aroostook County.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know the first about either, but I vote Maine. Just because I enjoy Hal Blood's podcast, Big Woods Bucks. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by skeen
I don't know the first about either, but I vote Maine. Just because I enjoy Hal Blood's podcast, Big Woods Bucks. grin

Good reason in my book as well. I enjoy listening to him myself.

Semper Fi
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been sick with COVID all week so I have had time to think about things. I have settled on an area in the Adirondacks. I have hunted the general area in the past. I intend to use a base camp but not a big, heavy wall tent. The campsite is less than 2 miles in (anywhere from 1.5 to 1.8 depending on where I set up) so I think a base camp is possible with a lighter tent.

My plan right now it to pack in in two shifts. First with my Snowtrekker tent (about 20 pounds with frame, tent, and wood stove) and other camping gear. I'll then hike out and get my food and hunting gear. I figure I can use this as a launching point and still have a 2 mile head start into my planned hunting areas. I do like TX35's idea of a tipi tent. I guess I could pick one up and save some space and weight. The Snowtrekker is pretty light for the size of it though.

My Plan is to go in the middle of November. I haven't decided if I should start the week on 11/8 or 11/15. I guess 11/8 may have bucks moving more but the following week might give me a better shot at snow. This is a decision I will have to think about.

IC B2

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by miguel
There’s lots of places in the Adirondacks where you can drive to, and set up a wall tent out of the back of your truck, and hunt from there. It’s nice to get the camp into the back country, but the logistics are much, much more involved. Plus, getting way off the beaten path really isn’t always necessary for success.
Some good areas to check out are Raquette Lake, Moise River Plains, Stillwater Reservoir, and High Peaks Wilderness area. Once you find a suitable camping spot, secure a permit from the local ranger. It’s free, and allows you to leave the camp up for as long as you like. As far as anyone stealing your gear, I have never had a problem, but I have never left it unattended for a long period of time either. It’s somewhat a leap of faith. Don’t assume you would be safe in the backcountry either, two years ago I caught a couple young hunters nosing around my backcountry camp midday. It may have been innocent curiosity, maybe not, who knows?
Be prepared, whether you hunt Maine or the Adirondacks, there are not a lot of deer. I mean it can be dismal. I hunted a new area in the Adirondacks this year, a hunting club on leased timber company land. All of it had been heavily logged, and was prime deer habitat. I saw a total of 5 deer all season, 2 does, 2 small bucks, and a nice buck that I shot. I saw more deer than any of the other 10 members, and was the only one successful. Last year in the High Peaks I went 3 or 4 days without seeing much of anything, then I had a day where I saw 10. That was the most deer activity I had ever seen in the Adirondacks in one day in almost 40 years hunting there.
The problem with hunting the big woods is, it’s addictive. I desperately would like to hunt where the numbers are better, and the trophy quality is better, but my vacation always gets planned on going to the woods.
If you need any help with planning coming up, shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to help.

Thanks, Miguel. I will reach out to you at some point. I always appreciate suggestions and advice from experienced guys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was born and raised in upstate NY. And hunted many years in the Adirondacks with my family that had hunted the same country for generations.

People that have lived in the Adirondacks every day their whole lives and know the country like the back of their hand have a difficult time being successful deer hunting.

If hiking and seeing beautiful country are things that are important to you, you can't beat it.

If seeing and killing deer is important to you, I'd suggest a different venue.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There’s nothing like the big woods for deer. Having spent over 30 years hunting the ADKS, years living IN the woods, it is a special place. You are on the right track with planning…one of your best times to check things out is spring, before it greens up. All the deer sign will be as it was left at the end of this season. You may even find yourself a big ol gobbler! Feel free to PM me if you like, always happy to chat and share methods!

Gun control means hitting your target.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hdk182
There’s nothing like the big woods for deer. Having spent over 30 years hunting the ADKS, years living IN the woods, it is a special place. You are on the right track with planning…one of your best times to check things out is spring, before it greens up. All the deer sign will be as it was left at the end of this season. You may even find yourself a big ol gobbler! Feel free to PM me if you like, always happy to chat and share methods!

Thank you. I never thought about hunting turkeys there but a combo turkey/recon trip sounds intriguing.

I understand the challenges of hunting big country like the ADKs. I have shot plenty of deer in my life and it's about the experience and adventure more than what I am able to shoot. This will be my fourth ADK hunt and I have not gotten a buck yet. I would like to get one but that would be a bonus.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Go to Adirondacks🦌😏

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by hdk182

Thank you. I never thought about hunting turkeys there but a combo turkey/recon trip sounds intriguing.

I understand the challenges of hunting big country like the ADKs. I have shot plenty of deer in my life and it's about the experience and adventure more than what I am able to shoot. This will be my fourth ADK hunt and I have not gotten a buck yet. I would like to get one but that would be a bonus.

The experience is what keeps the drive alive, the buck will come! Certain parts of the park will have different food sources on different years, those early trips can also indicate what the preferred forage will be come fall.

Gun control means hitting your target.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Go to Adirondacks🦌😏

Bad news: My next trip (after the ADKs next year) will probably be to Maine.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Copyright 1987
A Guide to Adirondack Deer Hunting
by Charles Alsheimer & Larry Watkins

Perhaps there are other & more recent books?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim585
Copyright 1987

It's a good one, and is in my library. Another that's worth having is Benoit's book...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jim585
Copyright 1987

It's a good one, and is in my library. Another that's worth having is Benoit's book...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks. I have read both.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I grew up in upstate NY and hunted the Dacks for many years. I was stationed in Brunswick Maine for 17 years and hunted & guided all over that state. I'd pick Maine over the Dacks anyday!

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I’d say two different experiences but have never been to the ADKs. Maine isn’t what it used to be when the Benoit book was written. Lot more fragmented habitat and a far more Benoit and Blood wannabes

And the number of big deer is down. Still better than New York though if looking for weight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,200
Posts18,485,185
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.