Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Ace, In full agreement.

Hig, Major issue with vets, like any other business post-Covid, is hiring and retaining reliable help. Local vet had to stop taking anything but emergency appointments for 2-3 weeks when several vet techs unexpectedly flew the coop. The senior vet looks to be close to 70. Trying to retire. Having a hard time finding a young vet who wants to work a mixed large animal / small animal practice in a rural area. Most are looking for the left-wing urban liberals and their fur "babies" mentioned above...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Heym06
My friend says keep your animals healthy, you might have to eat them!
My old big mixed breed heard that many times in his life when we were out in the wilds. i made sure he knew who would be wearing who's coat and eating their bones if it came down to a survival situation.

He made it to 16yo and the vet came to our place when it was time to say goodbye. Been nearly 30 years, and I still miss him.

must be winter allergies, my eyes are tearing up

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
But I let my dogs get 2 yrs old first. Build muscle pack, testosterone for bone growth, etc

Good advice. Puppy neutering has resulted in the canine ACL repair racket. My vet told me before the late 90s he never saw an ACL problem but after the puppy neutering started it is an industry.

Lost Arra in previous camp life
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by brokenarra
But I let my dogs get 2 yrs old first. Build muscle pack, testosterone for bone growth, etc

Good advice. Puppy neutering has resulted in the canine ACL repair racket. My vet told me before the late 90s he never saw an ACL problem but after the puppy neutering started it is an industry.

Absolutely agree. Particularly true for large breeds.
I believe Stanford did considerable study on this. The growth plates on long bones require an intact dogs hormones to mature.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I ended up putting him down myself.

I don't recommend that...

I actually consider it my duty to care for my animals every single inch of their life...

That last walk truly sucks, but I will be damned if I will ever shrink away from it.

NO JUDGEMENT on your Mr Roster...

It is just how I see it personally.
Yep, that's me. "Cradle to grave."

I have no problem nutting a calf, or a pig, or a sheep. Used the rubber bands on many a sheep or calf. Cats? I have nutted dozens of cats, no problem.

But I castrated just one dog. I will not do another, not without anesthesia. I can listen to a cat scream while the deed is done, but a dog crying is more than I can handle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm

I believe Stanford did considerable study on this. The growth plates on long bones require an intact dogs hormones to mature.

OPs already paid for one nut cutin and signed up to pay for another.

Now he gets to pay for all the health issues that come from early neutering.

Sucker born every minute but as OP got his nutz cut off young I suspect he does not feel safe around an intact puppy dog.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/13/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
We had an older vet that worked our cattle. He told me his rates for cattle were cheap because fur parents of dogs and cats were insistent on the treatments they had heard from friends and others re same. Yappers and hissers! He was honest to a fault. Wouldn’t allow a critter to suffer due to stupidity of humans. Great man.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm

You’ll never hear a vet discuss ACL problems, spay related incontinence, obesity rates, coat problems, or any other negative issue related to spaying. If one was so inclined , that lack of professional behavior would allow for some rather cynical observations.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Amen, Dutch.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I payed 150 seven months ago, and am taking the sister from another litter in a month, same price, difference is very small town, not a city.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quit using our local “town” vets a few years ago. Drive 30 miles to my buddies buddies country clinic. No up sales. Prices cheap. We all leave Friday to go to South Dakota for pheasants so will get a free consult on that trip too.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Quit using our local “town” vets a few years ago. Drive 30 miles to my buddies buddies country clinic. No up sales. Prices cheap. We all leave Friday to go to South Dakota for pheasants so will get a free consult on that trip too.

Hope you have a great hunt!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Deleted

Last edited by smokepole; 12/14/23. Reason: Deleted

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Now Dumb Azz has a stoned dog complete with nutz and paid $475 for the visit.

Yeah, what a dumbass.

He could've gotten the same result for the price of a bottle of Nyquil and a pint of cheap vodka.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Higg, You live in the heart of ranch and orchard country...ask your farmer/rancher buds where they take their dogs...CSU Ag has the most prestigious livestock dog program in the US...ask around.
A man should never set foot in one o' them Fou Fou Pet Boutique Centers, they are for wimmin with the whole, 'save my little FiFi' boutique atmoshpere, designed to milk emotions and wallets. Nothing to do with caring for your animals humanely.

Our usual vet retired and sold out. 4 week wait to put our dog down last spring with the new owners. Searched around and finally found one that would do it. Can't even get in at the Durham vet.

Our vet sold out and if you hadn't been there in a certain time period, the new vet considered you a new customer and therefore were no longer welcome. I NEEDED to put our lab, Oliver, down as he was suffering bad. I called 5 or 6 other vets that told me the same thing. "No new customers"

I ended up putting him down myself.

I don't recommend that...

It beats the hell out of getting them poisoned
I do all my own
It ain’t sweet , but it’s quick .
Never understood people worrying about finding a vet to do the job
First time I ever had to do it , took it to a vet
Never again , take care of it myself
Kenneth

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BLG
Is 8 months a little young to be clipped? Thought they needed to finish growing first.
I ask this because I have had 5 male dogs and never had any of them clipped. They all lived 12 + years. None had any health issues except for the lab. He lost his hips and we put him down at 13.
Current mut is 9. Still in tact.
Will confess, I don’t know enough to do it or not do it.

Clyde

We have a Rotty. Dude weighed 125 lbs, so it wasn't like kicking a love crazed Chihuahua off your ankle. Dude would dang near take you down.
I didn't want to neuter him....but for our own peace of mind, we had him "fixed" at age 2.
The next year was interesting until he worked out all the excess testerone and he settled down!
One hundred and twenty five pounds of horny Rotweiller is a force to be reckoned with. 😳

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 68 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,726
Posts18,514,283
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.