Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Learn to repair it yourself.
This is the best advice right here. If you cant turn a wrench, you better have the coin to pay the dealer to fix your chit. There are rv dealers out there north of $250 an hour. Let that sink in a bit

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Bought a new jayco eagle. Like it alot. I think grand design makes a great trailer as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Bought a new jayco eagle. Like it alot. I think grand design makes a great trailer as well.
Grand designs manufacturing plant is the cleanest, well oiled machine in the business. You can walk through at the end of their day and the place is spotless. Pretty impressive facility

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Of those built today…..Arctic Fox is a good one, and does cool temperatures better than most. I haven’t been keeping up rv like I did for many years……but, last time that I studied, Arctic fox is only one of 2 or 3 that built their own “in house” frames.

Around 80% of the rv’s sold in America are produced by 2 cooperations. Most use the lowest quality components that they can get by with. Most of the rv’s produced by these two corporations use Lippert components from wheels to lighting. Lippert is a huge cooperation, which has bought out many small companies that built rv components and had built good reputations for quality. Lippert buys them out, then lowers the quality to satisfy the “bean counters”!

Most of the best quality rv’s folded during the market/economy crash of the late 2000’s….when the demand for cheap crap dominated the rv industry. These two huge cooperations were more than happy to comply!

I wouldn’t trade my 19 year old Teton Homes 5th wheel for anything built today with the exception of a New Horizons 5th wheel…… I’m about $200 K short of being able to buy one! memtb

Addendum: This describes much of the current rv’s produced, “ you can chrome plate a turd…..but, it’s still a turd”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/13/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Of those built today…..Arctic Fox is a good one, and does cool temperatures better than most. I haven’t been keeping up rv like I did for many years……but, Arctic fox is only one of 2 or 3 that build their own “in house” frames.

Around 80% of the rv’s sold in America are produced by 2 cooperations. Most use the lowest quality components that they can get by with. Most of the rv’s produced by these two corporations use Lippert components from wheels to lighting. Lippert is a huge cooperation, which has bought out many small companies that built rv components and had built good reputations for quality. Lippert buys them out, then lowers the quality to satisfy the “bean counters”!

Most of the best quality rv’s folded during the market/economy crash of the late 2000’s….when the demand for cheap crap dominated the rv industry. These two huge cooperations were more than happy to comply! memtb
Yup, lippert owns most of the industry and thats not a good thing. They make alot of poor quality chit and often do not back the product

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're going to buy a new RV go to the dealer and sit in it - uninterrupted - for a least one hour. Because that's what you'll be doing after you buy it and you'll see, before you sign on the line, all the problems and misalignments of the coach that are missed in the excitement of buying something new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by Riverc
Cardinal, Cedar Creek, Montana, Big Horn, Landmark, Mobile Suites, New Horizon, Jayco Designer, Riverstone all would be good to live in fulltime.
None are designed to live full time. Some factories will base covering a potential warranty issue on that exact thing. If they find out its your 24/7 home, they will deny certain claims.

Not all New Horizon in Junction City, KS is warranted for full time living factory direct sales the cost is $150-250k and most need a big truck to tow it. A few of the others I mentioned allow full time living also.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Another thing……DO NOT BUY NEW!!! Rv’s depreciate very rapidly……let the first “sucker” take the big financial hit! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Fontaine. Always liked their jaw mechanism better than a Holland.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cardinal, Cedar Creek, Montana, Big Horn, Landmark, Mobile Suites, New Horizon, Jayco Designer, Riverstone all would be good to live in fulltime.
None are designed to live full time. Some factories will base covering a potential warranty issue on that exact thing. If they find out its your 24/7 home, they will deny certain claims.

Not all New Horizon in Junction City, KS is warranted for full time living factory direct sales the cost is $150-250k and most need a big truck to tow it. A few of the others I mentioned allow full time living also.

I respectfully disagree about the New Horizons for full time use! This from New Horizons home page! memtb

https://horizonsrv.com/about/

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We have a Grand Design Solitude 5th wheel (bought new in Nov 2020, 21 model).

Minor issues so far that got resolved under warranty. Good manufacturer support. Dealers suck and in TX you are required to return them to the dealer where sold for warranty support.

GD has yearly rally’s where they support with field techs and some (Lippert, Morride to name some) to educate owners on how to maintain their unit.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Shag
Looking at fifth wheels. Will live in and travel for work next 5 years. Prices seem to be dropping. Eyeballing an Arctic Fox not far from me.

Thoughts and experiences good or bad! I know they all got their faults. Four seasons in 30ft range.

Thanks
Arctic Fox is a division of Northwood Manufacturing. You can not go wrong with any of their products: Arctic Fox, or Fox Mountain in 5'th wheel; Nash, Desert Fox, or Arctic Fox in bumper pull trailers; Wolf Creek or Arctic Fox in Campers.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

Doesnt matter what they say. My point is some will not warranty if they find out the owner is a full timer. Any rv manufacturer states they are desgined for 4 seasons or full time use, its a selling point and a lie lol. Ive seen them all and none stand up to that abuse. None and i mean none can safely be used in the dead of winter in minus temps without a perm setup, skirting and torpedo heaters firing into the enclosed underside

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock63
We have a Grand Design Solitude 5th wheel (bought new in Nov 2020, 21 model).

Minor issues so far that got resolved under warranty. Good manufacturer support. Dealers suck and in TX you are required to return them to the dealer where sold for warranty support.

GD has yearly rally’s where they support with field techs and some (Lippert, Morride to name some) to educate owners on how to maintain their unit.
Those rallies are pretty awesome. Gd has been known to fix many issues in their campers even out side of warranty at those rallies. Like i said, shop the manufacture, not so much the product. Gd is a great company

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I sold RV's for 25 years here in Mass. Cougar and Montana were the most trouble free. Sold Arctic Fox in the early 2000's, but had lots of issues then, mostly roof leaks and delams, but they were put together strong. Visit some dealers and look at the used models 5,6,7 years old of the ones you are considering. That will tell you more of how they hold up. They all have the same furnaces, refers, water heaters, usually 6 or 10 gallon, stoves, microwaves, ect. An $80K Airstream has the same water pump as a$25K Springdale. Pick a dealer with a good service dept, they should be proud to show it to you. Don't drive to Michigan, or someplace to save a couple bucks and expect your local dealer to take care of you . At the dealership I worked at we had a couple hookups and would let first timers spend a night and get familiar, take care of any questions the next morning. Look up the dealers BBB score before you buy. Its been five years since I retired but the above is pretty basic.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Doesnt matter what they say. My point is some will not warranty if they find out the owner is a full timer. Any rv manufacturer states they are desgined for 4 seasons or full time use, its a selling point and a lie lol. Ive seen them all and none stand up to that abuse. None and i mean none can safely be used in the dead of winter in minus temps without a perm setup, skirting and torpedo heaters firing into the enclosed underside

You must be relatively new to rv’ing! While none could compare to a quality brick and mortar home……there were a few makes of yesteryear that did a pretty good job! memtb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Westman
Originally Posted by granitestate1
I have a 42 ft that is about 16000# that I will tow with my 3/4 ton pickup the truck, it is maxed out at that weight so I only tow a few hundred miles at a time. I was going to buy a dually but they wanted 100 grand plus for them no way was I going to spend that. So what I did was buy a 35ft one that weighs 12000# and my truck has no problem towing that one, I also saved almost 50 grand since it was close to half the price of the dually, it is also a lot easyer to find campgrounds with a 35ft.

I'd like to see the 3/4 ton that can legally tow 16,000. Heck, there's 1 tons that cant do that. Yours at 12,00 is a lot more manageable eh?

I have a 2014 38 foot Montana and it has a great layout and I have not had any problems with the appliances etc. I'm just not impressed with how they are made. These days thats true of most all RV's.

Fix it yourself is good advise.

I have a 2021 F250 with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears. It's rated for 18,500 on gooseneck or 5th wheel, 3k+ payload. Most 3/4 diesels will run out of payload being that the engine package weighs 600-800 lbs more than the gassers.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A lot of rvs are the same manufacturer. Different badging and a few changes. Arctic fox is decent. If you’re looking for four seasons quality I would at least take a look at outdoors rv. A little more but from everything I’ve looked at or owned (which has been several dozen) outdoors rv is a far superior product

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Of those built today…..Arctic Fox is a good one, and does cool temperatures better than most. I haven’t been keeping up rv like I did for many years……but, Arctic fox is only one of 2 or 3 that build their own “in house” frames.

Most of the best quality rv’s folded during the market/economy crash of the late 2000’s….when the demand for cheap crap dominated the rv industry. These two huge cooperations were more than happy to comply! memtb
Yup, lippert owns most of the industry and thats not a good thing. They make alot of poor quality chit and often do not back the product

last time i checked THOR ownes most of the RV manufactors,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Masshunter
They all have the same furnaces, refers, water heaters, usually 6 or 10 gallon, stoves, microwaves, ect. An $80K Airstream has the same water pump as a$25K Springdale..

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of the similarities of various models.

The biggest difference I've found is price and the capabilities of the salesman you deal with.

There are far too many barely used RVs on the market to ever consider paying the price for a new one.

Prices on used RVs vary considerably in different parts of the county.

They stack up in Florida and sell cheap, old fu_ckers buy um new, drive to Florida and either die or buy a winter home and dump the RV.
I could shop Craigslist in Florida, buy RVs and haul them to Montana and easily turn a good profit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,675
Posts18,513,267
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.