Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Has anyone tried a meadow ceeek red dot mount out on a rib of a pump shot gun?

I have bi-focals now and don't know if it will be an issue or get a different gun with a rearward drilled and tapped mount on the reciever.

Thoughts?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No expirience with that mount, but when I got bifocals, man did they mess me up! Lol! To the point that I had non bifocal glasses made up or hunt without glasses.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer to mount on the receiver so have never tried meadow creek. But seems like people that use their mounts really like them

I have contact lenses to correct distance vision that I only use when hunting. And I carry a pair of readers for when I need to look at my phone or work a combo lock on a gate

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
No expirience with that mount, but when I got bifocals, man did they mess me up! Lol! To the point that I had non bifocal glasses made up or hunt without glasses.

LOL.. I think i'm near sighted (distance objects are fuzzy) so far and close objects are giving me fits.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I prefer to mount on the receiver so have never tried meadow creek. But seems like people that use their mounts really like them

I have contact lenses to correct distance vision that I only use when hunting. And I carry a pair of readers for when I need to look at my phone or work a combo lock on a gate

My dilemma is trying the meadowcreek on my 20 gauge browning BPS upland with its 22 inch barrel...

Or buying a youth rem 870 fieldmaster 20 gauge that is the same length and set up for reciever optics.

So spend $50 or $500 and have a new shotgun!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by humdinger

My dilemma is trying the meadowcreek on my 20 gauge browning BPS upland with its 22 inch barrel...

Or buying a youth rem 870 fieldmaster 20 gauge that is the same length and set up for reciever optics.

So spend $50 or $500 and have a new shotgun!

Personally I prefer a dedicated turkey gun. And the 870 youth 20ga is about ideal for that

But you could always spend the money on a meadow creek, try it, and then sell for a few bucks less than you paid for it if you decide you don’t like it

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not a fan of mounting anything to the rib of the shotgun barrel, they're just not designed for that. More than one rib has loosened, or come off, under recoil because of the weight of a sight added to it. I went the 870 20ga youth gun route when I made up my latest dedicated turkey gun (finally accepted TSS shot). The receiver wasn't D&T for a base, so I milled out, and D&T, the receiver in the footprint of a Burris FF II 3 moa dot sight, low and rock solid! Now, would I mill out the receiver of a Browning Upland.... no, no I wouldn't! Don't think there'd be room for it anyway, with where the safety is on the Browning.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I made one like the Meadow Creek, it works great on my Ithaca 500.

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve use one with a FF3 on a CZ O/U and on a Browning Gold Hunter, both 20ga. That setup is too light to strain anything, especially when mounted as far back on the rib as possible. Good solution when D&T isn’t desirable.

Be sure to get the correct one. Fortuitously, the one for O/Us is also the right one for the Browning.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Want to put something on the rib, go for it. Don't want to put something on the rib, don't. That's what's so neat about all this stuff...

NRA life member

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’ve use one with a FF3 on a CZ O/U and on a Browning Gold Hunter, both 20ga. That setup is too light to strain anything, especially when mounted as far back on the rib as possible. Good solution when D&T isn’t desirable.

Be sure to get the correct one. Fortuitously, the one for O/Us is also the right one for the Browning.

I have a meadowcreek mount from my disapointing Stevens 555 OU turkey gun concept. (very poor regulation to th point I won't keep it for grouse hunting)

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I'm not a fan of mounting anything to the rib of the shotgun barrel, they're just not designed for that. More than one rib has loosened, or come off, under recoil because of the weight of a sight added to it. I went the 870 20ga youth gun route when I made up my latest dedicated turkey gun (finally accepted TSS shot). The receiver wasn't D&T for a base, so I milled out, and D&T, the receiver in the footprint of a Burris FF II 3 moa dot sight, low and rock solid! Now, would I mill out the receiver of a Browning Upland.... no, no I wouldn't! Don't think there'd be room for it anyway, with where the safety is on the Browning.

Story..I'm in the blind with my duck hunting buddy on his land and he's never gotten a bird. He has his 12 ga bps and I have my 12ga franchi affinity with a Burriss FF3. He wanted me to shoot as a guest, but the bird came in at a angle I couldn't see him so I slid my franchi to him and he got his first turkey.

He liked the ease of the red dot so much that he had his BPS milled for one...
It looks terrible, but it works. It aint no Sumtoy mount..

I guess the poit is people do it. I wont do that to my BPS though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Meadow Creek and a FF3 on an 870 youth 20 gauge and I love the setup.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a meadowcreek mount from my disapointing Stevens 555 OU turkey gun concept. (very poor regulation to th point I won't keep it for grouse hunting)

My CZ Redhead Deluxe All Terrain had the same problem. 8” apart at 40 yards. Question is, do you sight the red dot to hit between them, or pick a barrel and hold off for the other. Answer is, you abandon it for something else.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

My CZ Redhead Deluxe All Terrain had the same problem. 8” apart at 40 yards. Question is, do you sight the red dot to hit between them, or pick a barrel and hold off for the other. Answer is, you abandon it for something else.

As much as i'd like a CZ 20 ga All Terrain to make a dedicated turkey gun, a bad experience years ago with poorly regulated barrels has kept me from doing it. My tricked out M2 20ga or my Stevens 301 Youth will have to do!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

My 550 was the top would center well above the bead and bottom center well below the bead at 25 yards so its not even a bird gun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

As much as i'd like a CZ 20 ga All Terrain to make a dedicated turkey gun, a bad experience years ago with poorly regulated barrels has kept me from doing it. My tricked out M2 20ga or my Stevens 301 Youth will have to do!

I was eyeballing one of those and I could get a turkey special Franchi affiinit for that proce.

I'm in a similar boat with a 26 inch 20 gauge franchi affinity common field gun and a 20 gauge stevens 301 (plus a similar equipped franchi 12 gauge)...

I hold up the 870 and it calms the nervousness of the a single shot and its more compact than the affinity...
I know the 20 gauge BPS is a better gun, but that 870 is almost turkey perfect when you add the red dot on top. I suspect the trigger will be terrible compared to my BPS.

Indecsion.
Try the meadowcreek on the bps... and eventually the 870 will be bought. I know I am a weak man.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have 12 and 20 BPS Upland shotguns, older ones with the game scenes on the receivers. Also have the BPS Game gun, it too has the game scenes on the receiver. Excellent, beautiful shotguns! My opinion of course... lol! I sure would hesitate to alter any one of them! An 870 Express 20 gauge youth model, I didn't hesitate at all! The receiver and the 21" barrel are the only things I kept on it. Forearm is now a rubber Houge, stock is a Knoxx Blackhawk with adjustable LOP and their spring set up recoil "management" system in it. A Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor and full compliment of Wolff springs. And yes, the trigger isn't as nice as the Brownings, but don't waste your money on the Timney 870 trigger kit. To me, milling the top of the receiver doesn't look bad, and function is perfect! To me, it looks way better than all the stuff added to a gun to be able to mount an optic to it. There's quite a few different kids that use it, as well as myself, and the adjustable LOP stock really accommodates all of us. There's all kinds of options available to end up with our own individual tastes, almost too much stuff sometimes! But whatever you end up with/use, enjoy!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve carried several different scatterguns the last couple of years but I think next season I’ll start out with my .22 Hornet and my cunningly crafted 46gr FP loads. The Henry .410 will do for casual days.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Side question... as I keep contemplating a new shotgun...

Have you ever had to do a second shot on a turkey because you whiffed it?

I've switched over to auto's and OU or SXS for so long that I don't even think about pumping anymore.

Ive whiffed one turey once and the second shot attempt didn t work. Im sure I was busted pumping.

So having a stealthy second shot is worth just staying with my semi-auto?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,737
Posts18,495,026
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.