Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know that it's actually addressed by PA law....but my understanding is the last shooter is the winner....

I let a buck walk several rifle openers back. I had the entire season to hunt and he wasn't anything special. One last look to make sure I didn't wanna take the last opportunity, I noticed a piece of his guts hanging out. No thought about it. Boom. That buck was absolutely going to die a slow miserable death and not be recovered. I sat with him till almost dark. Noone came so I gutted him and tagged him with my only buck tag.

Couple years later....very last evening of our rifle season. Buddy and I were still hunting a ridge side by side 100-200yds apart. I cut a fresh set of buck tracks on the edge of the laurel I was working. I knew I'd never see that buck so I circled down below and sent him past my buddy. He got 2 shots off. I got to him and 1 shot was definitely in stomach. It looked like a grenade went off. Green and red all over the snow. Other shot was probably liver and a lung... Looked down the trail and it was a mess..blood spraying and pouring...green stomach matter.

Boom! Shot rings out from the road. Well...I sure hope that was at the doe....this buck can't be on his feet.

We followed the carnage 75yds and there was the buck piled up just over the knoll of the hill. Another hunter standing on the road saw us and quickly started towards the buck. N O way!

He claimed the buck was standing there and he shot it and he had no idea he was hit. The evidence in the snow told me otherwise. That buck was absolutely dead when he shot it. Maybe taking its last kicks but definitely on the ground and it was very evident it was hit twice by my buddy.

My buddy is older than I and he wasn't about to get worked up over it. He hauled me away and that was that.

Guy was in the right place at the right time walking down the road.....I have no doubt that buck was on the ground when he shot. Even if it was alive....those 2 hits and whatever ballistic missle my buddy was shooting...it wasn't getting away from us. In that case I'd say the ethical thing would be that goes to my buddy.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not sure how it would be interpreted here, but in my mind it would be first blood unless other hunter was youth or really wanted the deer.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a slightly different view. If I shoot it and it doesn't go down and I track it and someone else shoots it and drops it, it's theirs if they want it. If a wounded one comes by and I shoot and drop it and they come walking up tracking it, as far as I'm concerned, it's theirs if they want it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago while setting up a drive my uncle who was a blocker had a huge buck approach him from behind in a creek bottom. He made a poor shot in the lower left front leg that was basically superficial but he and my father tried tracking in good fresh snow for a couple hours. After they gave up I took up the track and discovered the beast to be hiding behind our neighbors barn in a deep thick draw. I was barely able to convince them to try again but ultimately they agreed and I was able use my fathers human scent to flush the buck out the bottom of the draw against the wind. I killed him when he tried to exit. My uncle came over, shot the dead deer twice and tagged his 170” buck without so much as saying thank you. My take is that without the paper cut wound and deep fresh snow, I simply would not have tagged the animal myself.
Another time I shot a good 150” 10 point but hit the deer back just behind the lungs in the liver area. The buck crossed two properties over the next day before expiring. When I found him on a neighbor’s property, the neighbor had just discovered the deer and returned with a saw to remove the antlers. When I approached the neighbor, he went completely nuts on me, professed that I had poached the animal out of season and told me it was his. I told him if he wanted it that bad, it was his. Next time I bumped into him, he was friendly and acted like nothing had happened. My position is a deer is rarely going to be worth a fight or losing a friendship over.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always prepare for someone to be an ahole when it comes to possession of a dead deer. I've seen arguments over a deer that was moving in someone else's direction when it got killed. I've seen track meets break out when a big deer goes down in sight of multiple people.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
When I was around 16 or 17, I was sitting on my stand when I heard a single rifle shot quite a ways off. About 20 minutes later, a buck came running down the fence line in front of me about 150 yards out. It was going hard, but it had been hit in the front left leg. I put one 6mm rem in the boiler maker and down it went. Let it sit for about 10 min then walked over to the fence line to get it. Just as I got to it, a man and his 10-11 year old son walked up on me. The dad didn’t have a gun and the son had a brand new marlin 336 30-30. The man said his son had shot the deer about a mile away and they had been driving around looking for it. He was honest and said he knew it wasn’t a lethal shot. But he asked if his son could tag it. I didn’t care, so I said yes and started walking back to my stand. The dad stopped me and asked, “what do we do now?” I said, I usually gut it and I started walking again. He asked, can you show us how? I was in a little disbelief at the time, but I did it and they both watched with intent. It was clear neither one of them could have done it. That was over 35 years ago and to this day, I wonder what the hell they would have done if I hadn’t bee there. I was happy to help that kid tag his first deer but when he thinks about it, he has to wonder why I was so helpful.

Good onya bud. That kid and his father will remember your kindness and hopefully carry it forward.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I have a slightly different view. If I shoot it and it doesn't go down and I track it and someone else shoots it and drops it, it's theirs if they want it. If a wounded one comes by and I shoot and drop it and they come walking up tracking it, as far as I'm concerned, it's theirs if they want it.

Same here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i try to use a rifle big enough that the animal either goes right down or does go down close , i have lost a couple of animals that i killed and some butt head found it laying down and tag the animal. one was a 6 pt. bull elk in Wyoming that i put a Zwickey Broadhead thru the lungs ,plus thru both sides at 15 yds. and the local taxidermist walk up to this dieing bull elk in bull`s death bed shot an arrow thru his neck . many hunters have ethics but some are thieves of the truth as this taxidermist was and is.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If its a good hit and I just finish it off, it's the other fella's. If it was a poor shot, I'll wait to tag and see if someone comes a lookin'. If not, it's mine. It's SHAMEFUL how many folk don't follow up on a shot. You don't always find blood/ hair.
If it was a kid shooting, I don't care if it's a Booner, it goes to the kid.
Giving up a deer to a kid feels GOOD. Once had a broke leg doe come by. I dropped her and walked over. About the same time ,here comes Dad and a kid. The kid looked crushed and Dad had that " Oh no" look.
I said " Good shot kid!" " Can't believe that close and I hit it the leg".
I think the boy peed a little he was so excited. Just gave Dad a wink and walked off.
The LORD sent me a whopper doe the next day.
Even though possession is 10/10ths of the law in the woods, IT'S ONLY A CRITTER. Be nice about it and maybe ya make a new friend?

Last edited by Muddly; 12/13/23.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muddly
If its a good hit and I just finish it off, it's the other fella's. If it was a poor shot, I'll wait to tag and see if someone comes a lookin'. If not, it's mine. It's SHAMEFUL how many folk don't follow up on a shot. You don't always find blood/ hair.
Giving up a deer to a kid feels GOOD. Once had a broke leg doe come by. I dropped her and walked over. About the same time ,here comes Dad and a kid. The kid looked crushed and Dad had that " Oh no" look.
I think the boy peed a little he was so excited. Just gave Dad a wink and walked off.
Even though possession is 10/10ths of the law in the woods, IT'S ONLY A CRITTER. Be nice about it and maybe ya make a new friend?
Where's the "like" button?

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mauser06
I don't know that it's actually addressed by PA law....but my understanding is the last shooter is the winner....

I let a buck walk several rifle openers back. I had the entire season to hunt and he wasn't anything special. One last look to make sure I didn't wanna take the last opportunity, I noticed a piece of his guts hanging out. No thought about it. Boom. That buck was absolutely going to die a slow miserable death and not be recovered. I sat with him till almost dark. Noone came so I gutted him and tagged him with my only buck tag.

Couple years later....very last evening of our rifle season. Buddy and I were still hunting a ridge side by side 100-200yds apart. I cut a fresh set of buck tracks on the edge of the laurel I was working. I knew I'd never see that buck so I circled down below and sent him past my buddy. He got 2 shots off. I got to him and 1 shot was definitely in stomach. It looked like a grenade went off. Green and red all over the snow. Other shot was probably liver and a lung... Looked down the trail and it was a mess..blood spraying and pouring...green stomach matter.

Boom! Shot rings out from the road. Well...I sure hope that was at the doe....this buck can't be on his feet.

We followed the carnage 75yds and there was the buck piled up just over the knoll of the hill. Another hunter standing on the road saw us and quickly started towards the buck. N O way!

He claimed the buck was standing there and he shot it and he had no idea he was hit. The evidence in the snow told me otherwise. That buck was absolutely dead when he shot it. Maybe taking its last kicks but definitely on the ground and it was very evident it was hit twice by my buddy.

My buddy is older than I and he wasn't about to get worked up over it. He hauled me away and that was that.

Guy was in the right place at the right time walking down the road.....I have no doubt that buck was on the ground when he shot. Even if it was alive....those 2 hits and whatever ballistic missle my buddy was shooting...it wasn't getting away from us. In that case I'd say the ethical thing would be that goes to my buddy.

i don't know about PA law either, but it always been the guy who shot it last gets the animal.

my ex-wife shot a beautiful 10pt behind the shoulder and it ran about 80 yards and it fell down and then a guy shot it on it's stomach and went out the hindquarter. by the time we tracked the buck, the guy was busy gutting it. i decided it was a waste of a tag because he got only one hindquarter and one shoulder (my ex's exit wound took out the shoulder). he had a 10pt antler soup, while we ended up with 2 bucks (4 hindquarters, 3 shoulders, 4 backstraps and 2 necks).

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

THis

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
Laws and locations vary, but ...

Reduction to possession

Edited to add:

Which is to say, know your laws, because if you come upon “your” game animal, and someone else has reduced it to possession already, there is a better than average chance that the other party has LEGAL rights to that downed animal ... hunter’s ethics aside.

I can’t speak for other states, but in Montana, the killing shot is the one who is supposed to tag the animal…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Muddly
Where's the "like" button?

I will double that like. Muddly, you are a good man. 👍👍

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.