Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All of that because a experienced drug addict thief knows how to play the system to the fullest extent.

He knows how to cost the taxpayers maximum money.

He knows how to remain out of jail as long as possible.

He's a maggot that deserves to find a fatal dose of fentanyl so he can enjoy his final high right into the next world.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blindshooter
I've had the pleasure to get called 6 times for jury duty.
Was selected for 2. One was civil the other for superior court.
Here, at least in my experience, it's all about what your skin color happens to be.
Blacks will not vote to send another one to jail no matter the crime or how clear the evidence of guilt.
Just my limited experience.

This was exactly what happened in the jury trial I was talking about above. One was a black woman that cared not about the facts, but only the skin color. The other was a white flaming liberal that was getting paid by our own Postal Service to be there for forever. Fugk both of them. Both a complete waste of flesh.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once you walk into a court room, to some degree, the judge has control of your life!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Someone crying because the justice system doesn't work the way they believe it should?

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by JeffA
So, we’re to believe that there was a several day jury trial over a misdemeanor theft?

Well, first and foremost I don't really care what any does or doesn't believe.

That being said...

Monday, 8 am, jury selection. I'm right at a 45 minute drive from home to the court house. The selection is a drawn out process, they narrow a jury pool of 122 down to 7 individuals through multiple elimination rounds.first two rounds were before judges the next two was with the attorneys involved. Once I was chosen I was told to report back on Tueday for the trial at 8:15 am.

I'm not a clock watcher but I think I got back home around 2:30 or 3.

Tuesday, showed back up at the Courthouse, hung out for a hour and was then told the trial had been rescheduled for Wed. 8:15 am.

Wednesday, the trial began and the discovery process took right up to lunch. Due to a couple illiterate holdouts it took much longer than it should have. All I truly recall was it was late enough when we got done that I picked up dinner on the way home..

So, yeah, three days shot to hell for me.

I was part of a jury that let a maggot theiving drug addict remain free until mid April of next year when his case will be heard again..

So, Wasted Days Serving Jury Duty.

So once again, all of that for a misdemeanor theft? That’s what you’re telling us?

Very inefficient use of everyone's time. I spent 20 years on the District Court bench, serving four counties. Jury trials scheduled each Thursday. On Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on which county was up for jury that Thursday, I had final pretrials. That was the last opportunity to enter a plea before trial. If the parties said that a case was going to trial, then, absent serious injury or illness of a party or witness, the case went to trial on Thursday. After the final pretrial, I would only accept a plea straight up, as charged.

Jurors were given instructions on when to call in to confirm whether there was a trial going on Thursday. Jurors were instructed to show up at 8:30am. By 9am sharp everyone was checked in and ready to start. I read initial instructions to the jurors, then seated six, then began voir dire. I did a basic voir dire, then turned it over to council. Didn't let council get too far afield, and, frankly it was very seldom that anyone tried. After challenges, peremptory and for cause, the jury was sworn and pretrial instructions concluded. Don't think I ever swore in the first witness after 10:15. I believe I had one misdemeanor trial that finished up on the second day. Every other misdemeanor trial was a one day only issue for jurors.

I am in a pretty rural area. No real big employers. Lots of small farms, small businesses, etc.... Most jurors didn't get paid for missed work, and couldn't afford to be jacked around by the court. I felt it was my responsibility not to waste people's time.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don’t know any attorneys that will do a jury trial at any level for anything less than ten or fifteen thousand, at least not on purpose. Not many Defendants want to spend that much for what is usually going to be a fine measured in hundreds of dollars and probation. And misdemeanors don’t count for much on a record. I guess the public defenders probably get a few misdemeanor jury trials. But most of the prosecutors don’t consider them worth messing with either and make reasonable deals.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don’t know any attorneys that will do a jury trial at any level for anything less than ten or fifteen thousand, at least not on purpose. Not many Defendants want to spend that much for what is usually going to be a fine measured in hundreds of dollars and probation. And misdemeanors don’t count for much on a record. I guess the public defenders probably get a few misdemeanor jury trials. But most of the prosecutors don’t consider them worth messing with either and make reasonable deals.

Yeah, the vast majority of my trials were with court appointed attorneys for the defendants. The attorneys were on an annual contract with each county. I could require some minimal payment from working poor defendants, but not more than a few hundred dollars. For those who were on various governmental welfare programs (like disability for people who weren't disabled), I couldn't require any repayment. Quite a few of those people seemed willing to roll the dice, because they had no financial skin in the game for their attorney. Defense attorney could get a pretty good offer and have it turned down by the defendant because the defendant really had little to lose by going to trial instead of taking the plea. Not like the government was going to kick them off welfare.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (257wthbylover, 907brass, 32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,670
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.