-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinkin' of getting a coupla 12 ga./26" 870 FieldMaster shotguns as Christmas Presents, for a coupla young hunters I know.

Started with a 12 ga. 870 Wingmaster/28", from Woolworth's, and still shoot it.

Though they'd make for a nice gift.

GR

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they are not the same as the good ole days.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I've handled and shot a couple of the new field masters. They're a big step up from the Express line. Haven't bought any because I collect and use older Wingmasters but the new one is definitely a good gun. If I were in the market for a new pump shotgun I'd have no problem buying one

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The biggest gun dealer in Virginia, Green Top Hunt and Fish, in Richmond has a load of new RemArms guns on their racks at any given time, including the 870 Wingmaster and Fieldmaster. Those guns are pretty nice. The actions are slick and the wood looks very good. But the old Remington Expresses had a surface-rust issue that I am not sure has been cured in the new RemArms Fieldmaster. RemArms advertizes that they've addressed that issue, but I've seen several brand news Fieldmasters that had an obvious orange haze on the sides of the receivers. Yes, these guns are being handled by customers and I'm sure they aren't getting wiped down with oil at the end of the day. But all the guns on the racks are, and the Fieldmasters seem to be the only new guns on the racks that are showing obvious signs of rust. Other than that, they're nice guns.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/15/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bobski
they are not the same as the good ole days.

Fortunately, they're quite a bit better than the older guns.

I spent about an hour comparing a new RemArms Wingmaster to a mid-70s or earlier silver carrier Wingmaster and an mid-70s or slightly later blued-carrier Wingmaster. I spent an extra $300 to walk out with the new RemArms gun and am happy with the decision and the fact I left the older guns on the rack. RemArms has fixed some of the problems with the older guns and are building maybe the nicest 870s ever.

I subsequently bought a wood-stocked 20 gauge Fieldmaster and really like it. I took it goose and crane hunting over a couple of days at Thanksgiving did well and loved it. I liked it so much I bought a synthetic stock 12 gauge Fieldmaster. They're much better than the old Express guns. I like the wood stocked Fieldmasters and Wingmasters best. I don't like the feel of the synthetic gun as well.

For the price, I'm not sure there is a better new shotgun than a new RemArms Fieldmaster. Today is one of the good old days if you like 870s.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 12/15/23.
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree, I have handled several new Remarms Fieldmasters and a couple new Wingmasters and they are the most well made 870's I have seen to date...I will have a new Remarms Wingmaster 20ga 26" ASAP.......Hb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve handled the Remarms 870. It looked like a very nicely made shotgun. If I were in the market for a pump shotgun, I’d buy that gun.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I purchased a Remarms 870 20 gauge with 26" barrel for my daughter last summer. Very impressed with this little shotgun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I agree, I have handled several new Remarms Fieldmasters and a couple new Wingmasters and they are the most well made 870's I have seen to date...I will have a new Remarms Wingmaster 20ga 26" ASAP.......Hb

Have one of those, too, but 28" gun. It is a really nice 20 gauge. I think I prefer the 26" on my Fieldmaster.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My experience with 870's is as follows;

870 Wingmaster purchased new in the late 70's. My only shotgun for a long time. 26" IC vent. rib 2 3/4 gun with polished blue and the shiny Dupont stock. Light in the front, points like your finger and the action is slicker than KY jelly on a brass door knob. Couple of small quality glitches that only a sharp eye would catch but overall a nice pump gun. Short slug barrel with sights added in about 88' for hunting FT. Knox.

870 Express magnum purchased in the early/mid 90's. 28" 3 inch vent rib plastic stock gun with the Remchoke system. Definitely front heavy, initially not nearly as smooth as the Wingmaster until after a couple of 100 bird rounds of sporting clays. I call this gun my AK 870 because it just runs. Been completely submerged at least 3 times duck hunting and the protocol is to pour the water out check for bore obstructions and if clear, run it. Energizer bunny of shotguns. Above mentioned slug barrel is a 2 minute swap. Sits in the corner with 00 buck followed by Brenneke slugs as my 1st line home defense apparatus.

870 Fieldmaster purchased last summer for my daughter (sort of....). 26" 3 inch gun with Remchoke. Like the Express, not quite as smooth as the Wingmaster but with some grease and use we are getting there. This is the small frame gun that the 28 and .410 are built on I think, receiver is definitely thinner in your hand than the 12's. Doesn't feel as muzzle light as the Wingmaster but definitely not muzzle heavy. No quality issues at all from front to back which was surprising for such an entry level gun. Has the 3 inch chamber and as soon as hunting season is over will pattern with the big loads and compare with my Sweet 16. Overall very impressed.

Owned M12's and 37's but just seem to gravitate back to 870's.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.