-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I have one of the "small framed" .44 spl Blackhawks that Lipseys got from Ruger 10-12 years ago in the original purchase of these firearms. I am talking to a gunsmith about replacing the 4 5/8 inch barrel with a six inch one, but we are having a hard time finding a barrel. Ruger will not provide one, neither with Ruger to the replacing. Does anyone know where I can get a 6 inch barrel that is compatible with this gun? It doesn't have to be six inches as the gunsmith said he could cut it to six if it is longer. .357 barrels are available that can be rebored to .44 cal, but this is expensive and I am hoping to not go this route. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put an ad up over at Rugerforum.net in the classifieds...good chance someone over there will have one.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've got a 7.5" I'd sell you from a project I had in mind that never came to fruition. PM me if you're interested.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if the OP isn't interested, I am.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'll pm you. Philinkalispell doesn't seem enthused.

IC B2

P
OP Offline
P
I have no way to private message you as the website will not allow me to do so at the current membership level. My email is philipgintheswangmail.com. I can also send you a phone number if you want it, probably best through the email. I am very interested.
Philip Gregory

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Check ebay. They have tons listed for ruger blackhawks

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Gary Reeder in Flagstaff is a good source for Ruger takeoff barrels and posting on singleactions.com is another. Rugerforum.com and Rugerforum.net might turn up something. I would look into getting a blank and have the gunsmith turn it and fit it. Good luck, Jerry

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by PhilinKalispell
I have no way to private message you as the website will not allow me to do so at the current membership level. My email is philipgintheswangmail.com. I can also send you a phone number if you want it, probably best through the email. I am very interested.
Philip Gregory

Sent you an email

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by onehandgunner
I would look into getting a blank and have the gunsmith turn it and fit it. Good luck, Jerry
What he said. ^

Ruger Blackhawk barrels have a straight taper exterior. Any competent lathe operator can cut a straight taper, then cut and appropriately thread the rear shank to match the old barrel. The cylinder gap is best set by the cut and try method, which can produce an impressively Goldilocks gap that’s just right. Brownells offers forcing cone cutters and gauges to make that perfect, as well.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B3

P
OP Offline
P
As some of you know or will see the previous ad, I was looking for a .44 cal barrel. A campfire reader replied and I bought the barrel from him. However the two gunsmiths I presented the project to said the job was going to be much more involved and expensive than previously expected. So, I have the barrel and it is not going to be used by me for my intended project. The barrel is in very good shape. It came off a Ruger Super Blackhawk, according to the previous owner. It is 7.5 inches long, no rust or scratches anywhere, but the bluing is worn off on the left side for about two inches beginning at the muzzle. Those of you who said you were interested, here it is. Best way to contact me is a phone call. 406-260-4790. Thanks, Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.