Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I had a chance to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor cheap and am going to start reloading for it. I’ll eventually settle on 2 loads, one for paper and one for deer. The paper load will be whatever turns out to be accurate in the rifle, easy enough. It’s the deer load I’m trying to figure out.

I’ve reloaded many cartridges and hunted deer for many years so my question boils down to bullet terminal performance. I’m looking for a bullet that will give consistent exits inside 100 yards without destroying a lot of meat. I hunt in the forest of the Adirondacks and like exit wounds as a deer can get out of sight pretty quickly. Occasionally you can wait for a deer to get in the perfect position, more often not. I’ve spent hours reading posts about the Creedmoor and it’s use on game animals. It seems like many/most are shooting eldmx and other match bullets, while the deer die quickly, the meat damage is often beyond what I’m looking for. I’m not opposed to match bullets on deer and have shot a few deer with the .223/77TMk combination. It’s effective.

I’m leaning toward 140gr Interlocks but have seen a couple posts about small diameter wounds. I have some concern about that. Possibly those posts were just anomalies.

So, to wrap up a long post, based on your real experience, what’s your recommendation for a bullet that will reliably exit on shots inside 100 yards and still do enough damage to humanely kill an animal without a lot of bloodshot meat? I’m looking for recommendations other than Barnes at this time.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Frank

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can find them, the 130gr NAB has been a winner for me in multiple small-cased 6.5mm sporters. Very good penetration. Other than that, if I wanted fairly reliable exits I would look at a TTSX, LRX, E-Tip, or the new Hornady CX. I even shot the little 100gr TTSX for a while at 3200fps and it was a mean combo on deer and hogs. Never caught a bullet but saw pretty good damage to vitals without a lot of wasted meat.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the 120 and 140 Nosler BT's to take deer with the 6.5 CM, but have lately been using the 120 Sierra soft points. They are accurate in my rifle and kill deer as good as any bullet I've ever used. There are lots of good choices for deer bullets in the 6.5's.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have killed a lot of deer with the 6.5 x 55 , always used 120 gr. bullets nosler bt , sierra plain jane. NEVER tracked one, dead right there, many running shots , hits in the neck to the guts . same results drt. Last year shot an eight point with 6.5 creedmoor 129 gr. hornady factory load. Bullet went straight through behind the shoulder, ran about fifty yards not a drop of blood, Ga. pine thicket, but found him. So In my opinion 129 grain interlock too tough, I know you said you like an exit, but I don't like tracking.I may load 100 gr. bt for the creedmoor.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My son is loading the 127 gr LRX for his .260.

It's like a bolt of lightning on our Appalachia mountain deer, and very little meat damage.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Are you guys seeing consistent exit with any non-monos?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fshaw

Bonded bullets and Partitions I do.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point

Bonded bullets and Partitions I do.

Yep. Both are fairly good for likely exits.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a chance to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor cheap and am going to start reloading for it. I’ll eventually settle on 2 loads, one for paper and one for deer. The paper load will be whatever turns out to be accurate in the rifle, easy enough. It’s the deer load I’m trying to figure out.

I’ve reloaded many cartridges and hunted deer for many years so my question boils down to bullet terminal performance. I’m looking for a bullet that will give consistent exits inside 100 yards without destroying a lot of meat. I hunt in the forest of the Adirondacks and like exit wounds as a deer can get out of sight pretty quickly. Occasionally you can wait for a deer to get in the perfect position, more often not. I’ve spent hours reading posts about the Creedmoor and it’s use on game animals. It seems like many/most are shooting eldmx and other match bullets, while the deer die quickly, the meat damage is often beyond what I’m looking for. I’m not opposed to match bullets on deer and have shot a few deer with the .223/77TMk combination. It’s effective.

I’m leaning toward 140gr Interlocks but have seen a couple posts about small diameter wounds. I have some concern about that. Possibly those posts were just anomalies.

So, to wrap up a long post, based on your real experience, what’s your recommendation for a bullet that will reliably exit on shots inside 100 yards and still do enough damage to humanely kill an animal without a lot of bloodshot meat? I’m looking for recommendations other than Barnes at this time.

Frank

Your OP screams. I NEED A TTSX!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
interesting, but not cheap, are the Hammer bullets. Google Hammer.

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Very interesting and damn expensive. I know a lot of you guys like them, but how much do they have on the TTSX or LRX? I can't imagine they are really that much better. I also generally buy my TTSX when they are cheap. I've found them in the $20-$25 range at times.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

Very interesting and damn expensive. I know a lot of you guys like them, but how much do they have on the TTSX or LRX? I can't imagine they are really that much better. I also generally buy my TTSX when they are cheap. I've found them in the $20-$25 range at times.

I’ve wondered the same. The few I’ve tried have been accurate as hell without much fussing around.

I think they may gain on killing since that nose frags and they cause some more damage. Jury is out for me so far, I was thinking of trying them in a few next year though.

I will say a few folks I trust have reported they’ve hammered animals pretty well, and they were hard corps Barnes guys.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve killed some deer with the 147 ELD and it’s worked beyond excellent. Meat damage has been minimal on rib shots but a leg hit will tear them up decent but not excessive in my book. That bullet isn’t likely to crest 2700 in most guns and exits like a good bullet but man, I’ve never had much go anywhere.

I think we’re shooting similar sized deer as well, if that means anything. If you want the minimal amount of damage and don’t mind them moving a bit, the 127 LRX has been about the same as a Partition or similar.

Our close hunting family loads the 147 these days. They’re guilty accurate and work just as well up close as they do out further.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

DF

I’ve wondered the same. The few I’ve tried have been accurate as hell without much fussing around.

I think they may gain on killing since that nose frags and they cause some more damage. Jury is out for me so far, I was thinking of trying them in a few next year though.

I will say a few folks I trust have reported they’ve hammered animals pretty well, and they were hard corps Barnes guys.
Yeah, they are pretty high. But how many do we actually shoot at game. My thinking, shoot enough to get your load right, plink with cheaper stuff.

I find them to be very accurate, very easy to develop a load.

IME, accuracy edges Barnes and terminal performance is as good if not a tad better.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve killed some deer with the 147 ELD and it’s worked beyond excellent. Meat damage has been minimal on rib shots but a leg hit will tear them up decent but not excessive in my book. That bullet isn’t likely to crest 2700 in most guns and exits like a good bullet but man, I’ve never had much go anywhere.

I think we’re shooting similar sized deer as well, if that means anything. If you want the minimal amount of damage and don’t mind them moving a bit, the 127 LRX has been about the same as a Partition or similar.

Our close hunting family loads the 147 these days. They’re guilty accurate and work just as well up close as they do out further.
Good post. Though the 127 LRX does a fair bit of damage for a mono, and the 147 ELD does less damage than many C&Cs, at least at the impact speeds we're talking about here.

Surprisingly, I've seen more 127s caught than 147s, despite seeing more kills with the 147. Both seem to do similar damage, IME, but I do appreciate not having lead bits in my meat when a non-broadside shot is required.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not shooting a 6.5 cm but a 6.5x55 which is similar have used Sierra 120,140, Hornaday 129sp,129sst,140sst, Nosler 120bt Ren 120cl all passed thru shots from 40-220 yds on WV whitetails. I've been pleased with them all. Used the Hornady 140sst this year for the first time at 186yds and 195yds. Exit wound wasn't big, but the internal damage was good with complete pass thru.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Great advice. I love that bullet!! Will be using it in my speed match tomorrow.. They just work much better in the wind, and some of us have to deal with more wind than others. As for the TTSX, I'm getting the little pill dialed in for my 22-250. I guess you don't have to practice with your hunting bullet. Just get a load dialed in, make sure it's good in varying temps and practice with something cheaper... Those Hammers sound awesome too, but expensive...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

Yeah, they are pretty high. But how many do we actually shoot at game. My thinking, shoot enough to get your load right, plink with cheaper stuff.

I find them to be very accurate, very easy to develop a load.

IME, accuracy edges Barnes and terminal performance is as good if not a tad better.

DF

Good post.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Frank

Your OP screams. I NEED A TTSX!!!!!!!!

Nah, he needs a 45-70; anchors deer right, every time & with minimum bloodshot meat.

As for bullets in the 6.5, nothing will guarantee a DRT, every single time. But 120 NBT's are a good deer bullet. If you can find any.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
147's start to finish and for everything. Hint.

NOTHING bolsters Terminal Effects,like actual Trigger Time. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.