Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had the oil changed on my Frontier the other day. The stealership texts me saying that my driver side brake light is out and that they could replace it for $54.95...........had to pass on that deal. Stopped by O'Reillys bought 2 for $8. Dropped the tail gate, took out 2 bolts, removed the tail light assembly, replaced bulb. Took all of 5 minutes. Makes me wonder how many would have them do it?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Add on sales, it's a thing.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Women. And millenials.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Shop rate is probably 125 dollars or a bit more.

You think they should do it for free?

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Stealerships have been doing that for as long as I can remember. That said, they do have their purpose. I call the parts dept anytime I need a part number to cross reference and buy somewhere else.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Dinny
Stealerships have been doing that for as long as I can remember. That said, they do have their purpose. I call the parts dept anytime I need a part number to cross reference and buy somewhere else.

Sheesh.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grouseman
Women. And millenials.
Yep, they hand the keys to the Walmart service department and go shopping. Have no idea what goes in their vehicle, what kind of filter or even if the oil and filter were changed. With my state truck I caught different dealers and oil change places doing things like just getting the oil over the add mark, missing grease fittings, just outright lying. No telling what viscosity or brand of oil comes out of those bulk tanks. Only the cheapest no name filters or a name you've never heard of.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Dinny

Sheesh.

buys boots from Cabela's , wears them for a hunt then returns them.....bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you didnt know about, a least thank em for not letting you get a ticket or a trip to the judge to prove repair.
Gawd imagine a tail light being a gateway for Porky’s brother the sheriff to bust out the rest of your lights. 💀

But…I bet someone like partsman would take a bite on something like that. And people who over use the ignore feature. 😱

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This - along with 1/4 hour minimum charge - yeah, 54 bucks makes sense. Not for me but how they got to the number.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

JIm: That's rather steep for oil changing, greasing, light bulb replacement. Our JiffyLube was using work release prisoners and they actually were the best at getting things right. The minimum wage per hour oil changers were screw ups.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be thankful you’re able to do it yourself. Many can’t so have to pay.

Another question is who goes to a dealer for an oil change? I don’t do it myself anymore, but I sure as Hell don’t let a dealership anywhere near my vehicle except at gunpoint.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

This - along with 1/4 hour minimum charge - yeah, 54 bucks makes sense. Not for me but how they got to the number.

They got the number from the flat rate book.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fortunately, due to some will power and acquired skills, we have never been subject to dealer shop charges or even most mechanic services. But, that world is real - the businesses exist to make the profit, and to maximize that when they can.

If you don't need or care for caviar - don't buy it. If you can't shine your shoes or don't wish to do so, wear them scruffy or pay someone to shine them. But, why knock the guy who has formed the business to do what others will not or cannot?

I think capitalism is in there somewhere.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Ford 460 gas engine in the F-350 I just bought got a Walmart oil change before I picked it up in Cincinnati- - - - -15.6 quarts of the wrong oil! That's what a Powerstroke Diesel gets for the same year and chassis. Then they checked and adjusted the tire pressure- - - - -34 PSI in tires designed for 60.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 yrs ago Jeep wanted $600 to change a headlight bulb.

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Appreciate the heads up on the bulb being out but damn, $50 for a 5 minute repair is more like $600/hr..........

......as far as being sympathetic and making excuses for a car dealership - well, that's just not going to happen.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by CCCC
Fortunately, due to some will power and acquired skills, we have never been subject to dealer shop charges or even most mechanic services. But, that world is real - the businesses exist to make the profit, and to maximize that when they can.

If you don't need or care for caviar - don't buy it. If you can't shine your shoes or don't wish to do so, wear them scruffy or pay someone to shine them. But, why knock the guy who has formed the business to do what others will not or cannot?

I think capitalism is in there somewhere.

Then don't biotch about $50 aspirin in a hospital? wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Our Toyota Highlanders have adaptive headlights that swivel to look around corners at night. VERY nice feature, but it means that only the dealer can replace headlight bulbs (fortunately they're LED) and I'm told it runs upwards of $500. For one.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Had the oil changed on my Frontier the other day. The stealership texts me saying that my driver side brake light is out and that they could replace it for $54.95...........had to pass on that deal. Stopped by O'Reillys bought 2 for $8. Dropped the tail gate, took out 2 bolts, removed the tail light assembly, replaced bulb. Took all of 5 minutes. Makes me wonder how many would have them do it?
Have you stopped to take a look at what the labor rate is? Most shops around here are north of $150 these days. The shop I run is $180. Chit isnt cheap anymore

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.