Print Thread
Hop To
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have located two bore coat suppliers to coat bores to reduce fouling.

1-Dyna Tek that Mule Deer is familiar with. Only direct available through the co. at this time . $78.00 us $16.00 shipping.
816-444-6266

2-Jen-Tek Industries... $39.50 per 4oz and $56.00 per 8oz plus shipping on each bottle. 816-944-9045

The Jen-Tek Industries sounds like a good deal. Does anyone have experience with Jen-Tek? Also, the lady I talked with at Jen-Tek says their product is better than Dyna-Tek because the Jen-Tek has more ceramics in it.

Last edited by roanmtn; 12/15/23. Reason: Diction and spelling

Glenn Campbell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roanmtn

The Jen-Tek Industries sounds like a good deal. Does anyone have experience with Jen-Tek? Also, the lady I talked with at Jen-Tek says their product is better than Dyna-Tek because the Jen-Tek has more ceramics in it.

Whether more solids (e.g., ceramics) in a coating is "better" is going to depend on several factors such as the coating's overall formulation (including solvent and adhesive components), the application method and whether the individual application is done correctly, and the initial and long-term adherence of the solids to the surface you're coating (short-term and long-term durability), particularly in a demanding environment like the inside of a gun barrel.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am curious what the "ceramic" is. HBN was popular for a while but I don't see much about it anymore. Thanks for the pricing info... have a M70 EW for which I am considering the dynatek. Not sure if I want it bad enough to drop $100 on it!

Last edited by Esteban325; 12/15/23.
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yep! $100 dollars is not cheap for the stuff. I often wonder if we have priced ourselves out of our country. Inflation is beyond belief. Food is right at 100 per cent higher than it was three years ago. Used cars are unbelievable high priced.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep! $100 dollars is not cheap for the stuff. I often wonder if we have priced ourselves out of our country. Inflation is beyond belief. Food is right at 100 per cent higher than it was three years ago. Used cars are unbelievable high priced.

I'd wouldn't use the word "we" in that context. I'm pretty sure there's not a lot of "we" here. Just sayin....

Have a nice day.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esteban325
I am curious what the "ceramic" is. HBN was popular for a while but I don't see much about it anymore. Thanks for the pricing info... have a M70 EW for which I am considering the dynatek. Not sure if I want it bad enough to drop $100 on it!

Durazane® 1500 rapid cure Cas. 475645-84-2 ceramic

(3-Aminopropyl)triethoxysilane (CAS 919-30-2) Adhesion promoter

Stoddard solvent

Naptha

Isopropyl Acetate.

Swifty
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Impressive Swifty. Thanks for that... I figured there was some sort of binder, not just a solvent carrier.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you are choking on the price of that stuff...maybe consider a little bottle of WS2, tungsten disulfide on ebay for less than 25 bucks. You can apply it on a clean barrel, dry...or my preference, mix up a paste with WalMart isopropyl alcohol and put it in with a patch. The first 5 or 6 shots will be very low velocity, but eventually it will pick up. Some rifles you will need to increase the powder charge. It generally lasts a hundred rounds or so before you need to re treat it. IMO it beats the hell out of that moly crap that was all the rage a few years ago.
My Hornet is my high volume shooter, I haven't needed to clean it in several seasons. My 7x57 has a frosty dark barrel and it needs treatment every season. YMMV.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The big advantage of DBC is it doesn't only last 100 rounds. In my experience with it (which goes back to 2007) it usually lasts as long as the barrel does....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This polysilazane chemistry is amazing! Really neat.
For those inclined, here is a good summarization of it.
ACS summary of polysilazanes

I suppose my reaction to price was based on the discontinued listing from Midway USA ($30 to do five firearms)... who knows how old that price is as now we live in the age of $8 Big Mac.
I suppose $100 isn't so bad if you have five firearms lined up ready to go and, as MuleDeer points out, it seems to last the life of the rifle.

Merck seems to be a major manufacturer of the stuff. No luck finding retail sources (only B2B it seems).

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep in mind, it’s $80 plus shipping. You don’t need to do all 5 barrels at once, and can store the product until ready to coat the next bore.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have at least two ready to go... kind of lazy / busy to prep another three. But maybe one of those could be my Mosin, just for laughs. That thing is my money-pit hobby!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have located two bore coat suppliers to coat bores to reduce fouling.

1-Dyna Tek that Mule Deer is familiar with. Only direct available through the co. at this time . $78.00 us $16.00 shipping.
816-444-6266

2-Jen-Tek Industries... $39.50 per 4oz and $56.00 per 8oz plus shipping on each bottle. 816-944-9045

Just for your information Jen-Tek is a subsidiary/spin off of Dyna-Tek. Both located at 5300 E. 59 Kansas City Missouri. So its the same chit more than likely.

Addendum

Merck states 12-18 month shelf life on the ceramic and adhesion promoter.

Swifty
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks! I will get in touch with Jen Tek and ask about all of this. If it's the same I will order from Jen Tek.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jen Tek is owned by my friend Chris Fish. He makes all these products in Polson Montana. He makes a lot of different products for several industries. He makes one product in particular for the gun industry that is considered the best, but its sold under another name.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Jen Tek is owned by my friend Chris Fish. He makes all these products in Polson Montana. He makes a lot of different products for several industries. He makes one product in particular for the gun industry that is considered the best, but its sold under another name.

What's the other name ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Plus about 6 others. Love the description of the business in Missouri 😂

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (219 Wasp, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 51 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.