Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I guess I'm pretty fortunate - through the years I have picked up a Leupold M8 6x, an M8 4x and a Burris 4x, all with plex reticles.

The 6x is on my M77 tang safety 30-06, the M8 4x is destined for a .300 Sav 99 EG (as soon as my Lightfoot scope base arrives), and the Burris 4x will probably end up on a new-to-me Savage 1899H in .303 Sav (that one will be here Tuesday!).

Last edited by czech1022; 12/24/23.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by irfubar
Seems an opportunity for a entrepreneur, a boutique shop, how hard can making scopes be?

A good friend was one of the principles of a start up scope company. The endeavor is pretty daunting, to say the least.

The logical thing would be a shop where the company is already servicing an existing product line...both assembly and service.

Parsons Scope Service bought all the old Lyman tooling, and services those old scopes. They have up to a year-plus waiting time.

The owner said they’d had so many requests to produce a fixed power scope that they did a good bit of research toward doing so. Making a 6x target scope would’ve needed to sell for $1,500.

He told me this back in 2010.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I think one of the biggest missed opportunities by the scope companies is to offer a true Custom Service Center where you could have a scope built 'ala carte....choose the options that you want from an existing platform. Premier Reticle came the closest to that model.

Good shootin' -Al

Those on the outside very often think a buisness should lose money to satisfy a very small subset of customers.

Leupold did run a custom shop for many years but it was always a net loss. Every scope Leupold can produce is sold before it's made and the same is true for most other actual manufacturers.

It's not viable to cater to a niche very small customer base that wants one off custom products at production prices.

A year or two before Leupold closed their "Custom Shop," they raised their Custom Shop prices, and still seemed to have heavy demand, so they could operate their Custom Shop profitably if they were motivated to. The reality is
the potential level of revenue and profit compared to their production lines means they just aren't interested in offering the service. They could set the Custom Shop prices at a level guaranteed to produce a profit utilizing their repair staff.

Come to think about it, perhaps the real reason is their repair staff is too overworked making repairs after their quality slid thar they don't have the capacity to offer reticle changes and elevation knobs.

Another issue is it appeared they were intentionally driving business to their Custom Shop because they weren't offering the finish (matte) and reticles (their venerable duplex and heavy duplex) people wanted in their production models. Their wide duplex should have been the custom offering with their standard duplex as the standard production reticle.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 12/24/23. Reason: Added last paragraph
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ozarker
Would be nice if someone would do a special run of 4x and 6x scopes for us old fudds.

Trijicon Accupoint 6x42 might be nice
We have had this topic a 100 times. The problem is no one will buy them.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 58 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,878
Posts18,518,151
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.