Home
Would be nice if someone would do a special run of 4x and 6x scopes for us old fudds.

Trijicon Accupoint 6x42 might be nice
I like the idea. Bombproof, with simple illumination.
A one inch tube 4x accupoint with German #4, and a 6x same with a good holdover reticle would get my bank account shedding funds.
Originally Posted by Ozarker
Would be nice if someone would do a special run of 4x and 6x scopes for us old fudds.

I agree. At 50, I don’t know if I’ve reached “fudd” status but I like my fixed powers.
Yep. I do love a 6x42. A mildot reticle with the yellow "dot" would be a nice little scope.
Originally Posted by CRS

There you go...simple, bombproof...with a battery and illumination...how ironic.
Plus if you hunted during legal hours why do you need illuminated?.... asking for a friend.
Great idea. Spend a whole pile of money to engineer and tool up for scopes that will have great sales appeal for at least five guys.

I have three Trijicons now that can easily be set to 6x and left there if I choose….

Take heart, SWFA is promising “More to come in 2024”. Maybe the long-awaited illuminated SS is in the works!
yup I wonder if trijicon will put some time and effort into their 1" tube accupoint? they could really take a slice of the leupold owned pie at this point as they're being kicked pretty hard right now and taking heavy fire lol

mimic anything from the vx3hd 1" line up with the green dot duplex and their mil-dot green is awesome too, and also German #4 green

also mimic their fx2 2.5x ultralight...by all means make it sturdy over ultralight, offer the green dot duplex and German #4 green, 4" eye relief be fine, I bet that little puppy would fly off the shelves, a 4x32 the 6x36 would also go over well, 2.5-8x36, 1-4 in 1"....

anyone have some pull at trijicon?

I was looking through their 1" 3-9's last night also in their other lines but keep feeling the same thing...they would be perfect to chase the pure hunters market right now as their gear appears to have what it takes, I've been using 3-9x accupoints for awhile now and love them, one of the best hunting scopes going, green dot duplex or the mil-dot, Kenton even makes speed dial turrets and I have found they rtz and track just peachy but I don't super test like you see proper reviewers do. A cds-zl style turret could be an option to copy also but walk before run. If doing a turret for elevation the cds-zl is the bomb. One thing to note with 3-9 accupoints is only 12 moa per rotation vs 15 moa in 1" leupolds just fyi...still takes slow 6.5 grendel 16" barrel 123gr past 500 from a 200 yard zero so it's not a huge deal, most hunters would happily get by on 12 moa, I have been, kids have dial ups at 300, 355 and myself 420 so far from said little grendel...scope has been awesome, dial back down, put away after season, next trip to the range test zero and could not hit gong more in the middle at 200 yards first shot, very confidence inspiring. Dot size also good, at 425 yards the green dot from duplex or mil-dot duplex covers 4-5" of my 15" gong, coyotes and larger out to 500 no issues with that, great close range and instinctive for the kids also and the illuminated. green dot is money for black bears up close also, my kid can tell you at 10 yards, lots of fur, facing him and no issue putting that pretty little dot under the chin where he wanted...so low light, timber, dark animals in low light etc. it's a very fast and awesome hunting scope. Calling coyotes also, brightest sunny days full snow scape...dot still glows more than the light around you and so easy to see on the dogs.

and lastly, I've bugged holosun about this online...they have awesome solar technology, very compact, their reflex sights don't even need a battery to run in the day and actually don't use the battery until the solar runs out of light to power their dot, but even better yet they just came out with a capacitor in place of the battery which does 2 things, no more batteries required for night use as the solar charges the capacitor when light is available and so it will run nights/blinds etc. and its super compact that would easily fit in a scope build as compared to fibre optic or battery options, look how small it is on those reflex sights, that should be looked at in the scope community to get away from batteries, hope someone of reputation like trijicon starts tearing apart those holosuns and figure some stuff out, batteries suck, we have the technology to go away from batteries, how simple a little solar panel to a mini capacitor that can power a micro led center dot of a reticle for ages before discharge or finding light to charge back up again
Take it from an old telephone man, capacitors can and do go bad. They also de-form, lose their charge over time. How long that takes with modern ones is a mystery to me. If they offered one with user-replaceable capacitors or that would also accept a battery, that would be better. Redundant is good, every layer of redundancy is even better.

Personally, I find the dual FO and tritium Accupoints more than sufficient. Will see how the tritium looks say, ten years from now, but it is factory serviceable.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Great idea. Spend a whole pile of money to engineer and tool up for scopes that will have great sales appeal for at least five guys.

I have three Trijicons now that can easily be set to 6x and left there if I choose….

Take heart, SWFA is promising “More to come in 2024”. Maybe the long-awaited illuminated SS is in the works!

hopefully they have some pure hunting options in mind as being discussed in this thread, the more the merrier

world is slowing rebounding from the prs fad and those who fack around and find out realize there are natural laws to hunting that can't be overcome by gear when only throwing projectiles of x velocity ranges and x bc ranges, goal posts don't really move that far even when shooting the fastest slipperiest stuff when it comes to consistently killing animals

the larger hurdles learned are field accuracy, reading wind, and live animal factors...which despite all the gear available gets a moderate amount of guys consistent killers to 450 and very few to 600...'consistent killers'...not once in a blue moon had no wind I'm a hero lr hunter now lol...that doesn't count as consistent killers, if anyone wants to actually find out their own limits on this they can see how far they consistently kill coyotes at and then double that for big game, just to give idea, anyone wants to argue that ask them their longest coyote and how many over 400 they have, now apply that to all hunters, even when polled the the prs crowd has a majority that say they limit their hunting to about half what they compete at, 5-600 is common number thrown out to where they feel comfy on game to in hunting....even if they don't verbalize why the same way I do

these aren't gear limits really, they are people/animal/conditions limits and it's the same in archery/bowhunting, they shoot 80-100 yards in the 3d's and the odd guy kills out that far but live shooting and bow in hand year round, and for most that's way past the point of diminishing returns to put that much more time in a year just to be consistent another 30% further, most of it is 50-70 yard for the competent guys and consistent killing which coincides with 1/2 to 3/4 second tof's which mirror 450 to 600 yard rifle stuff...

and the more we come full circle on all this and focus on gear that cleans things up specifically for hunting knowing and understanding the natural laws that govern consistent killing abilities for majority.....we should see more robust yet simple, compact, pure hunting options available...as there really isn't that much elevation to compensate for, it's a small amount of data from mpbr to 600, and most can't call wind better than 20" and our minds are spatially and visually wired so holding up to that against the target is actually the best way (fastest and most natural to our brain wiring)...unless you don't know physical measures then you're handicapped to start and will need some reference points for wind holds and something to tell you which ones to use but will slow you down a bit and of course reduce chances likely reducing your overall consistent kill distances

look forward to some forward thinking manufacturers to get ahead of this a bit and start giving what many pure hunters have been asking for more of for a long time, maybe since always lol

ok...enter the Fudd jokes wink
Take it from an old telephone man, capacitors can and do go bad. They also de-form, lose their charge over time. How long that takes with modern ones is a mystery to me. If they offered one with user-replaceable capacitors or that would also accept a battery, that would be better. Redundant is good, every layer of redundancy is even better.

Personally, I find the dual FO and tritium Accupoints more than sufficient. Will see how the tritium looks say, ten years from now, but it is factory serviceable.

yes worked with electric motor start capacitors, agree, and holosun says when it quits send it it they will change it, no different than trijicon does with the tritium, the good news for both is that most of us who can't hunt nights won't ever need to send anything back in for a capacitor or tritium as the solar or fibre optic works primary anyway, I have an older accupoint 3-9 green dot duplex with dead tritium and fibre optic works 15 min before and after legal light which for us is 1/2 hour before/after sunrise/set, so it's a 45 min before/after sunrise/set functional, capacitor has potential to run a long long time though, I really like the idea over a battery, way more compact and lightweight

for true night hunters though maybe batteries make most sense, I can see that argument no prob
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by CRS

There you go...simple, bombproof...with a battery and illumination...how ironic.
Plus if you hunted during legal hours why do you need illuminated?.... asking for a friend.

you don't need illuminated, did it forever without, wonder why bowhunters use fibre optic pins...illuminated or ambient light amplified? is that ok for the ethics police?

ask your friend if he's ever had black bear at 10 yards with a duplex reticle? how bout dark moose in thick timber at low light? but still legal light...

has your friend ever tried to teach kids to shoot and hunt? wanna bet the lighted dot is very intuitive fast and natural for them?

which also goes for aging eyes on us old Fudd's? I bought my first accupoint 3-9 green dot duplex not for the illuminated dot but for the reputation for glass clarity and it's light weight and low mounting ability...but fell in love with that dot, it's unbelievable intuitive in real hunting situations when you go on auto-pilot...so now that I have experienced that...it was a no brainer for bringing the kids into the game and they have killed amazingly well

can I ask your friend if you're just a young whipper snapper still in your prime and haven't contemplated all the reasons why illuminated reticles?, at least the center dot, is an amazing hunting aid lol wink
So does the solar power charge the capacitor?
I have had to replace capacitor’s in Citizen Eco Drive watches for a few customers. Not many but they do fail.
Funny thing is they look very similar to a watch battery..
Originally Posted by 338reddog
So does the solar power charge the capacitor?
I have had to replace capacitor’s in Citizen Eco Drive watches for a few customers. Not many but they do fail.
Funny thing is they look very similar to a watch battery..

yes, same thing, they are marketing it as a solar recharging battery...because they think it will confuse general public any other way, it's just a capacitor, for us more technical folks that's even better than rechargeable battery imo, last way longer, way less headaches
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
Originally Posted by CRS

you don't need illuminated, did it forever without, wonder why bowhunters use fibre optic pins...illuminated or ambient light amplified? is that ok for the ethics police?

ask your friend if he's ever had black bear at 10 yards with a duplex reticle? how bout dark moose in thick timber at low light? but still legal light...

has your friend ever tried to teach kids to shoot and hunt? wanna bet the lighted dot is very intuitive fast and natural for them?

which also goes for aging eyes on us old Fudd's? I bought my first accupoint 3-9 green dot duplex not for the illuminated dot but for the reputation for glass clarity and it's light weight and low mounting ability...but fell in love with that dot, it's unbelievable intuitive in real hunting situations when you go on auto-pilot...so now that I have experienced that...it was a no brainer for bringing the kids into the game and they have killed amazingly well

can I ask your friend if you're just a young whipper snapper still in your prime and haven't contemplated all the reasons why illuminated reticles?, at least the center dot, is an amazing hunting aid lol wink

Some critters are legal to hunt, regardless of the hour as well....
[quote=Teal}
Some critters are legal to hunt, regardless of the hour as well....[/quote]

lucky bastards, not up here in communist Canada, batteries would be great for that and all night defence also, camp or home, quarter way into the 21st century illumination should be a norm and we can do it by many ways, solar, fibre, battery, capacitor, tritium...a single dot is a hunting machine as hunting general does put us on auto-pilot and the ilium. dot is so intuitive for this and bulk of hunting situations, doubles for defence, xmas trees are more fack around find out re; hunting but great for other things other than hunting lol, anything works for target stuff
Whining Window Licking CLUELESS Fhuqks,don’t spend any loot. Hint……….
Spendin' no loot on the high zoot.

Where's pics of the November-to-Remember bucks anyway?
I’ve “only” (5) Scopes and (1) Thermal on order currently. Only killed Bucks with (4) different scopes this November. Hint.

Am in second of (5) airports of the day and only expect (2) new rifles and (1) new vehicle this pass. Hint.

Cast & Blast in the AM and countless Window Lickers will be following,if only as per always. Hint.

Keep rattlin’ Pom-Pom’s from the sidelines,despite it being your ONLY “move”. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………..
Meopta straight six was nice
I patiently await my first Meopta,that tracks,holds zero and repeats. Hint……..
Some light weight, inch tubed, low power variable scopes with simple duplex reticless and an ocular bell that allows low mounting for those of us who know how to hunt and prefer a compact scope mounted on our rifle rather than hanging our rifle off the bottom of a giant ass, heavy scope would be nice.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Some light weight, inch tubed, low power variable scopes with simple duplex reticless and an ocular bell that allows low mounting for those of us who know how to hunt and prefer a compact scope mounted on our rifle rather than hanging our rifle off the bottom of a giant ass, heavy scope would be nice.

Amen
You Whining CLUELESS Brokedicks,aren’t going to “do” or shoot schit. Hint……….
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Cool story bro
Amen x2

big stick is one lonely dude and no idea where he fits in, blows hot air about who knows what in hunting optics discussion forum and whatever he brings into the discussion outside of hot air is not about hunting optics lol...what a guy, oh and basically projects what he is onto those actually discussing the topic at hand, pretty wild skill actually, funny af
The Leupold 6x36 with Long Range Dots is a dandy scope, so of course Leupold quit making it. I have two, and won't be parting with them.

There's a 6x36 in the classifieds right now with the regular duplex...
Originally Posted by Brad
The Leupold 6x36 with Long Range Dots is a dandy scope, so of course Leupold quit making it. I have two, and won't be parting with them.

There's a 6x36 in the classifieds right now with the regular duplex...

I think the 6x36 would be a great choice. I have one with the wide duplex and the Long range dots would be very usable at most hunting ranges IMO.
Few things are as soothing,as Professional Victims waxing eloquent on their Hurt Feelers Reports. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………
Hoping Swfa puts a capped wind age and lower profile on the 6x. Illumination might be sweet too.
Hoping Swfa puts a capped wind age and lower profile on the 6x. Illumination might be sweet too.

A zero stop is at the top of my list.
Originally Posted by CRS

No battery, think accupoint, tritium light is always on.

I do not need the illumination, but have grown to like it. A 4x and a 6x. Dots would be ok, but I can live without them too.
Originally Posted by moosemike

Cool story bro

Ignore is your friend.
Years ago I passed on a Kahles 4x with German #4 reticle at a store in Jackson Hole, Wy. My bad...
Nothing is fhuqking FUNNIER,than a Crying CLUELESS Brokedick Kchunt,"threatening" Imaginary Pretend Ignore,to illuminate her Professional Victim status! HINT.

Now as the 6x MQ goes,I'd like 10 Mil elevation with a 5-20x HD style turret. I'm happy with home made zero stops,but illumination is never going to hurt the equation. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just saying...........

Burned up some 60 rounds today from the bench in my yard, you?
You Professional Victims and your very WELL founded Insecurities,are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Dangle a picture of said Goat Fhuqks,for even more oblivious HILARITY. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You Professional Victims and your very WELL founded Insecurities,are fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Dangle a picture of said Goat Fhuqks,for even more oblivious HILARITY. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

You will have to find your own goat fuQ pictures you pervert.

hopefully they have some pure hunting options in mind as being discussed in this thread, the more the merrier

world is slowing rebounding from the prs fad and those who fack around and find out realize there are natural laws to hunting that can't be overcome by gear when only throwing projectiles of x velocity ranges and x bc ranges, goal posts don't really move that far even when shooting the fastest slipperiest stuff when it comes to consistently killing animals

the larger hurdles learned are field accuracy, reading wind, and live animal factors...which despite all the gear available gets a moderate amount of guys consistent killers to 450 and very few to 600...'consistent killers'...not once in a blue moon had no wind I'm a hero lr hunter now lol...that doesn't count as consistent killers, if anyone wants to actually find out their own limits on this they can see how far they consistently kill coyotes at and then double that for big game, just to give idea, anyone wants to argue that ask them their longest coyote and how many over 400 they have, now apply that to all hunters, even when polled the the prs crowd has a majority that say they limit their hunting to about half what they compete at, 5-600 is common number thrown out to where they feel comfy on game to in hunting....even if they don't verbalize why the same way I do

these aren't gear limits really, they are people/animal/conditions limits and it's the same in archery/bowhunting, they shoot 80-100 yards in the 3d's and the odd guy kills out that far but live shooting and bow in hand year round, and for most that's way past the point of diminishing returns to put that much more time in a year just to be consistent another 30% further, most of it is 50-70 yard for the competent guys and consistent killing which coincides with 1/2 to 3/4 second tof's which mirror 450 to 600 yard rifle stuff...

and the more we come full circle on all this and focus on gear that cleans things up specifically for hunting knowing and understanding the natural laws that govern consistent killing abilities for majority.....we should see more robust yet simple, compact, pure hunting options available...as there really isn't that much elevation to compensate for, it's a small amount of data from mpbr to 600, and most can't call wind better than 20" and our minds are spatially and visually wired so holding up to that against the target is actually the best way (fastest and most natural to our brain wiring)...unless you don't know physical measures then you're handicapped to start and will need some reference points for wind holds and something to tell you which ones to use but will slow you down a bit and of course reduce chances likely reducing your overall consistent kill distances

look forward to some forward thinking manufacturers to get ahead of this a bit and start giving what many pure hunters have been asking for more of for a long time, maybe since always lol

ok...enter the Fudd jokes wink

I agree
Rickety,

You had to STEAL your Avatar,you Brokedick CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

The SWFA Fixed Fhuqkers connect ALOTTA dots,for folks who actually fhuqking shoot. I barely have 80 of 'em. Hint.

Reupolds CAN'T,DON'T and WON'T. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Just saying...............
Originally Posted by LiL Fish getting DROP TESTED
Originally Posted by CRS

I hunt on tree farms in western Washington: thousands of acres of closely-planted hemlocks and Douglas firs that are 150-200 feet tall. Our weather is rainy and cloudy, often for weeks on end, from late October until early June. Combine the two and you'll be hunting in some pretty gloomy conditions most of the day.

An illuminated reticle would be great for that, especially for hunting black bears.

Okie John
I barely get 150"-180" of rain a year. It's raining now. Hint.(grin)

Forecast is balmy and arid however! Hint.

Cast & Blast for Steelhead in the AM,rinse and repeat and it's too bad that Reupold can't even begin to hang. Hint.

Just saying............
You're shooting trout tomorrow?
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I'd take a bet you're no more than two inches taller at best if that probably not at all and considerably size larger waist...
MonkeyBitch,

Keep "living" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll flog on Chrome,gun some Fur and you'll "get" to read about. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.........
So, you'll be searching for beavers online?
A little shy about revealing your plan to flog on chrome? Don't worry, this is a safe space.
Gun all the fur your heart desires. Imagining is free. We won't judge.
I barely land 250 Spring Victims and 250 Winter Victims,while you "get" to Pretend,you AMAZINGLY Stupid Brokedick Day Dreaming Fhuqk. Hint.

You Professional Victims are a hoot!...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Hoped you would clarify whether you're shooting the trout or not. Still don't feel confident that I understand. I am sticking with my innuendo, regardless. Most likely due to your insistence upon inviting it.
Also, did you steal that rifle from Max Headroom?
Yes or No?
Sissy Bitch,

You "get" to Pretend..you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Is that a photo of your favorite trout shooting spot?
Or Max Headroom's?
Karen,

Cry a little more...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Minimum Wage Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..........
I understand that you two were awfully close...
Within an order of magnitude, how many invitations to a duel have you refused on this site?
Sissy Bitch,

You "get" to Pretend..you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Just curious is it 6.5x284 or 6mm?
He can't respond; still trapped in the back of a sporting goods store. Think that's what they euphemistically refer to those places as these days...
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Roaring!
That is funny as fugk all!
Must have been taken prior to the discovery of blue tape!

As someone who's been blessed with the oppurtunity to have worn a lot of mat burn in my life, I can't stop watching that.
Sam ol' chit from the " 1 trick Pony"

All hail :

The One Trick Pony.

Great for a little Levity

HINT
Seems like we begged this before and one one of our sponsors had a big time manufacturer make some 6x42s. Then all you [bleep] talkers failed to buy them and Doug sat on them way too long. Why don’t you look for one of those 6x42 S&B used.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Wp75169
Seems like we begged this before and one one of our sponsors had a big time manufacturer make some 6x42s. Then all you [bleep] talkers failed to buy them and Doug sat on them way too long. Why don’t you look for one of those 6x42 S&B used.

Those who have them rarely part with them.
Originally Posted by CRS
An illuminated center dot would be perfect.

kwg
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
Also, did you steal that rifle from Max Headroom?

🤣
Originally Posted by SuperCub
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
He runs a chainsaw for a living and talks about other folks being broke? Now dat's some funny chit.

Doug should talk Meopta into more of their good 6x42s, not the Artemis
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
He runs a chainsaw for a living and talks about other folks being broke? Now dat's some funny chit.

Guys cutting big timber on the west coast do make some pretty good money and they do earn it. Doesn't mean they can't still be stupid though. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Guys cutting big timber on the west coast do make some pretty good money and they do earn it. Doesn't mean they can't still be stupid though. GD

He's not worked a saw in a while but yeah - Stick ain't cutting firewood to be sold out of a pick-up and he wasn't cutting pulp wood either.

If someone says someone must be a broke dick if they run a saw, kinda sheds light on relative ignorance - no?
Rickety,

You had to STEAL your Avatar,you Brokedick CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

The SWFA Fixed Fhuqkers connect ALOTTA dots,for folks who actually fhuqking shoot. I barely have 80 of 'em. Hint.

Reupolds CAN'T,DON'T and WON'T. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Just saying...............

Triggered! Go throw a rifle over a hill right now! Or soak one in a creek! Yes SWFA makes rugged fixed powered scopes. Yes they are bulky and heavy. If they would make a 1" tubed 4 power version of the SS with a duplex reticle and dots 4 moa above and below the crosshair center and the Duplex beginning at 8 moa above center, dump the target knobs and slim the eyepiece down a bit plus making the objective 38mm they would have something special. Also nice would be if their was an AO feature. As the SS are currently configured they are pretty good for both target and varmint work but for general purpose hunting rifles they just don't get my vote.
Nothing is fhuqking FUNNIER,than a Crying CLUELESS Brokedick Kchunt,"threatening" Imaginary Pretend Ignore,to illuminate her Professional Victim status! HINT.

Now as the 6x MQ goes,I'd like 10 Mil elevation with a 5-20x HD style turret. I'm happy with home made zero stops,but illumination is never going to hurt the equation. Hint.

Just saying...........

this cracks me up, imagine posting this image in a 'hunting optics' forum and act as if that's even remotely related, and then call the people in the thread 'minimum wage fhuqktards'....lmao, maybe I'm just missing this guys sense of humour and he'd be perfect around a real campfire? hmmm
6x fixed at 42 still too big, trend to 2/4x with smaller objectives and 1" tubes with illuminated center dot will be a general purpose thing fixed but better yet focus on lpvo's for hunters! not tactical dorks ;), it's always been a thing, 21st century be silly not to have the illuminated dot, no one argues it's needed but they are very good for hunting speed and intuitive under pressure which hunting is, build some 1-6x36 1" tube illuminated center dot that can hold zero and watch them boogie off the shelves, I'd like mine from Trijicon please, forget the big azz turrets and side focus lol, keep the theme hunting first, elevation locking at best, maybe some hunt hold reticle options but still illuminated center dot and heavy enough side/bottom posts to be useful in low light should illumination not work for some reason

yes I can hunt with a fixed 6 but when I climb into a fart sack in grizzly country it's nice to snap the night light on and dial it back to nothing...well it is now anyway, or trailing something, or in super thick stuff...1 to 1.5x on low end is a desire for 'general purpose' but surely durability to hold zero doesn't need to be in 20 oz 1-6 30mm tube mini tanks? and since we know hunting is a 5-600 top end game for majority...5-6x is plenty, ringing steel with a zero magnification reflex on a rifle to 400 was pretty easy, 300 was super easy for fist size groups quick prone bottom of dot top of gong, I'll hunt on 3x most of time but at night or special circumstances I'll want to go down to 1-1.5 and for the across the valley stuff I'll want to go to 5-6x...

hope this reaches, I think I speak for lots of 'hunters' here...no fat, way too much fat, in weight and useless features etc. for the true hunting set ups and current lpvo's etc. that are 3-gun or military focused etc., give us hunters options and apparently from anyone but leupold lol

'minimum wage fhuqktards'...still laughing
ok, lets build our perfect fixed or lpvo hunters scopes, I'll start

1" tube, 1-6x, 32-36mm objective
~1 lb
Great glass
Great eye box (thin line, easy to get in and stay in)
Illuminated center dot, no bigger than 1 moa at 6x
Preferably without batteries functional
Capped low profile windage turret
Simple elevation solutions either locking elevation turret which will require reliable track/rtz to some pretty uptight testers out there
Or simple hunt designed reticle holds to get to 5-600 yards max (like lr duplex etc.) but no fat past 600! post thickening should be 600
Heavy side posts useable in low light on dark targets should illumination fail for some reason, and also heavy bottom post, top post should be thin like German reticles imo
Some hybridization of reticles for hunting could be a thing but focus on duplex/German #4 and minimal lr duplex holds in some hybridization?
Drive fence posts ability to hold zero
And not be bulky designed like so many tactical lpvo's are...keep things sleek and smooth like an optical penis wink
May want to try a few gloss models for the fudds wanting to update their glass for the classy rifles and also for the African rifles but mostly matte black would go on most newer rifles

Use that same 1" x 36mm frame for 2-4-6x fixed power models, combine that with 1-6x variable...man I'm turning myself on here, I'll be right back. wink

what am I missing from this for features/designs?
I think one of the biggest missed opportunities by the scope companies is to offer a true Custom Service Center where you could have a scope built 'ala carte....choose the options that you want from an existing platform. Premier Reticle came the closest to that model.

Good shootin' -Al
6x fixed at 42 still too big, trend to 2/4x with smaller objectives and 1" tubes with illuminated center dot will be a general purpose thing fixed but better yet focus on lpvo's for hunters! not tactical dorks ;), it's always been a thing, 21st century be silly not to have the illuminated dot, no one argues it's needed but they are very good for hunting speed and intuitive under pressure which hunting is, build some 1-6x36 1" tube illuminated center dot that can hold zero and watch them boogie off the shelves, I'd like mine from Trijicon please, forget the big azz turrets and side focus lol, keep the theme hunting first, elevation locking at best, maybe some hunt hold reticle options but still illuminated center dot and heavy enough side/bottom posts to be useful in low light should illumination not work for some reason

yes I can hunt with a fixed 6 but when I climb into a fart sack in grizzly country it's nice to snap the night light on and dial it back to nothing...well it is now anyway, or trailing something, or in super thick stuff...1 to 1.5x on low end is a desire for 'general purpose' but surely durability to hold zero doesn't need to be in 20 oz 1-6 30mm tube mini tanks? and since we know hunting is a 5-600 top end game for majority...5-6x is plenty, ringing steel with a zero magnification reflex on a rifle to 400 was pretty easy, 300 was super easy for fist size groups quick prone bottom of dot top of gong, I'll hunt on 3x most of time but at night or special circumstances I'll want to go down to 1-1.5 and for the across the valley stuff I'll want to go to 5-6x...

hope this reaches, I think I speak for lots of 'hunters' here...no fat, way too much fat, in weight and useless features etc. for the true hunting set ups and current lpvo's etc. that are 3-gun or military focused etc., give us hunters options and apparently from anyone but leupold lol

'minimum wage fhuqktards'...still laughing

I have no problem hunting with a 6x fixed in grizzly country, but I do agree a 42mm objective is wasted on a 6x.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I think one of the biggest missed opportunities by the scope companies is to offer a true Custom Service Center where you could have a scope built 'ala carte....choose the options that you want from an existing platform. Premier Reticle came the closest to that model.

Good shootin' -Al

Those on the outside very often think a buisness should lose money to satisfy a very small subset of customers.

Leupold did run a custom shop for many years but it was always a net loss. Every scope Leupold can produce is sold before it's made and the same is true for most other actual manufacturers.

It's not viable to cater to a niche very small customer base that wants one off custom products at production prices.
Sorry ladies,typical slow day here,but at least it was dry. Hint.

Keep your Professional Victim Hurt Feelers Reports coming,as that High Pitched Nasal Whine sure is fhuqking soothing! Hint.

I might start carving some Mail open this afternoon. Pardon the Splendors of wares that exist,if only in advance. Hint.

Good shootin' -Al

Those on the outside very often think a buisness should lose money to satisfy a very small subset of customers.

Leupold did run a custom shop for many years but it was always a net loss. Every scope Leupold can produce is sold before it's made and the same is true for most other actual manufacturers.

It's not viable to cater to a niche very small customer base that wants one off custom products at production prices.

Good shootin' -Al

I agree 100%, that is why I pick and choose from what is available.
Originally Posted by CRS

Good shootin' -Al

I agree 100%, that is why I pick and choose from what is available.

Seems an opportunity for a entrepreneur, a boutique shop, how hard can making scopes be?

The S&B "offered" was/is a Goat Fhuqk. Schit reticle,no parallax adjustment,schit erector travel and fhuqking STUPID "controls". Hint.

A simplistic 6x MQ offered superior mechanical control and by fhuqking land slides. Hint.

You Crying CLUELESS Kchunts are a Hoot! Hint.

Originally Posted by irfubar
Seems an opportunity for a entrepreneur, a boutique shop, how hard can making scopes be?

A good friend was one of the principles of a start up scope company. The endeavor is pretty daunting, to say the least.

The logical thing would be a shop where the company is already servicing an existing product line...both assembly and service. Leupold's now defunct Custom Shop did basic turret and reticle work and generally did a good job with that.

What I'm describing would be a true custom scope where the buyer could select specific features...reticle, w/e adjustment amounts, tracking system options, etc.

A true premium product at a premium price.

It worked for Premier Reticle before an unscrupulous business partner sank them.

Good shootin' smile -Al
Years back the 24 Hour Campfire did a special group purchase that Doug arranged with Schmidt & Bender for a S&B PMII fixed 6x42 rifle scope. Worst mistake ever not buying one of those. It was the most substantive and value based group buy I have ever seen. For those who say there is no market for a fixed power scope, that group buy proves you wrong.
The S&B "offered" was/is a Goat Fhuqk. Schit reticle,no parallax adjustment,schit erector travel and fhuqking STUPID "controls". Hint.

A simplistic 6x MQ offered superior mechanical control and by fhuqking land slides. Hint.

Your responses are always amusing, and while your experience in these matters is generally respected, there is no way I would choose an MQ over an S&B. And while we fully understand your inability to respect another human being's choice, carry on compensating for personal shortfalls versus important matters.

On a more important matter, please give us the review on the 8 x 56 S&B you recently bought and the comparison in usable low-light additional time between the MQ and the S&B.
Sweetheart,

You are simply riding the Pine and have never stepped foot on the Floor. Hint.

The ONLY things you "shoot" are your mouth and Imagination,on a Minimum Wage. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud,you Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint.

Sweetheart,

The ONLY things you "shoot" are your mouth and Imagination,on a Minimum Wage. Hint.

So how was the 8 x 56 Schmidt & Bender you just bought?

Great idea but I would prefer 2 3/4x and 4x. Getting a 4x and 6x would be fine with me but I suspect I'd go 2-7x rather than fixed 6x. Been using a couple 2-7x scopes several years now and have grown very fond of them. But my favorite scope is still the old Redfield 4 plex cch on my 30-06. Bought that scope new about 1971 and have never had a problem with it and for big game enough power for farther than I normally shoot!
Big Schtick,

Tell us about the pecan grove where you and Max used to shoot the trout, when your love was young.
https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/440/2015/03/brokeback2.jpg
Is that you on the left?
Maybe it’s time to put my S&B 6x42 for sale on the fire.
I patiently await my first Meopta,that tracks,holds zero and repeats. Hint……..
I never own a Meopta but read some great reviews on how well it tracks, can you tell us which scope tracks, holds zero and repeats the best in your estimation without smart a** reply.
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Sweetheart,

So how was the 8 x 56 Schmidt & Bender you just bought?

Big Stick- I take it since the cat has your tongue on answering this simple question, the S&B was so good it conflicts with your CCP marketing efforts, and you need to keep the goodness to yourself.
How many times a day,do you gals think about me? Hint.

I do not have a S&B 8x56 and never have,but your vicarious "living" is fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.................
I guess I'm pretty fortunate - through the years I have picked up a Leupold M8 6x, an M8 4x and a Burris 4x, all with plex reticles.

The 6x is on my M77 tang safety 30-06, the M8 4x is destined for a .300 Sav 99 EG (as soon as my Lightfoot scope base arrives), and the Burris 4x will probably end up on a new-to-me Savage 1899H in .303 Sav (that one will be here Tuesday!).
Originally Posted by irfubar

A good friend was one of the principles of a start up scope company. The endeavor is pretty daunting, to say the least.

The logical thing would be a shop where the company is already servicing an existing product line...both assembly and service.

Parsons Scope Service bought all the old Lyman tooling, and services those old scopes. They have up to a year-plus waiting time.

The owner said they’d had so many requests to produce a fixed power scope that they did a good bit of research toward doing so. Making a 6x target scope would’ve needed to sell for $1,500.

He told me this back in 2010.

FC

Good shootin' -Al

A year or two before Leupold closed their "Custom Shop," they raised their Custom Shop prices, and still seemed to have heavy demand, so they could operate their Custom Shop profitably if they were motivated to. The reality is
the potential level of revenue and profit compared to their production lines means they just aren't interested in offering the service. They could set the Custom Shop prices at a level guaranteed to produce a profit utilizing their repair staff.

Come to think about it, perhaps the real reason is their repair staff is too overworked making repairs after their quality slid thar they don't have the capacity to offer reticle changes and elevation knobs.

Another issue is it appeared they were intentionally driving business to their Custom Shop because they weren't offering the finish (matte) and reticles (their venerable duplex and heavy duplex) people wanted in their production models. Their wide duplex should have been the custom offering with their standard duplex as the standard production reticle.

We have had this topic a 100 times. The problem is no one will buy them.
© 24hourcampfire