Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Was close to buying one recently, $11k off a '23 Lariat. Feels great, only got about 17.5 mpg on an extended test drive and taking it easy. Seems like all the previous issues have been resolved.

Probably going with a '24 AT4 3.0 Duramax instead.

I would NOT buy another diesel. I'd trade my F350 6.7 for the 7.3 gas in a heartbeat if I could swap straight across.

The diesels today are so choked by govt emissions requirements that they don't get near the fuel economy they used to, and are far more unreliable than diesels of yesteryear.

When you add the xtra cost of diesel engine, in my case $10k more for the diesel... For an engine more prone to break, get crappy mileage, and less miles before dying, I would go for the gas. Besides being able to haul and tow whatever I hook to it, ....$10k buys a LOT of gasoline. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have worked for Ford dealerships for almost 30 years. I love the Ecoboost. I used to just drive demos but they finally took those away from even the managers. Now they just give a car allowance and free gas. Right now I'm in a 2021 XLT with the max tow and the 3.5 Ecoboost. It is the favorite truck I have ever owned. Plenty of power to pull the trailer you are talking about even up and down the mountain. I like it better than any F250 diesel I have ever owned. I usually trade in all the time but with interest rates like they are, I'm going to keep this one. I got 0% for 72 months, so, I bought a 6 year 125k extended warranty through Ford.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would ensure I had a good equalizing hitch , weight distributing system. F150 crew cab weighs between 4500 and 5500 pounds, so your trailer is gonna out way you bit. Probably not a good thing in an emergency or when the tail begins to wag the dog. Iv'e done it in mine in the foothills here.

Joe

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I’ve decided on a Ford F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission. Gonna be a used one with say with 50K miles on it just for the sake of discussion.

Looking for opinions regard this truck, and also towing a 7.5 GVW travel trailer. Gonna use the truck traveling the US and in retirement. Dry, which is probably closer to what I will be towing the trailer, is closer to 6K.

The towing capacity of the truck is 12K. The truck weighs like 5.5K.

Looking for opinions from those specifically with this truck and towing a trailer similar to this size trailer.

10k is a huge difference, but isn't the case at all with the 3.0 Duramax. Been looking at a lot of reviews and the second gen sounds pretty solid, as well as their mileage. I'm trying to find a reason not to go with it. But the poor mileage of the 3.5 real world, numbers of Fuelly, my extended test drive, is keeping me away so far.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
I have worked for Ford dealerships for almost 30 years. I love the Ecoboost. I used to just drive demos but they finally took those away from even the managers. Now they just give a car allowance and free gas. Right now I'm in a 2021 XLT with the max tow and the 3.5 Ecoboost. It is the favorite truck I have ever owned. Plenty of power to pull the trailer you are talking about even up and down the mountain. I like it better than any F250 diesel I have ever owned. I usually trade in all the time but with interest rates like they are, I'm going to keep this one. I got 0% for 72 months, so, I bought a 6 year 125k extended warranty through Ford.

You work there, have lots of experience with it, what made you get the extended warranty? What were your concerns?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Didn't read all the comments, but mine is 2013 and now has 215K miles on it. It's not grocery getter by any measurement. I towed a 9K pound boat with it for 8 years and a 150 Series fifth wheel for five years.

It's a damn beast in my mind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should reread JMR40’s post thoroughly. Most 1/2 tons run out of GVWR long before they run out of trailer weight’. Remember, the listed payload capacity (from which you subtract trailer tongue weight and the weight of all cargo) is a truck with zero add-ons and a 150 pound driver.

Listed payload is around 1,700 for the truck you want (some are less). Figure 500 pounds of passengers and back seat clutter, 150 pounds of truck steps, bed covers, etc. and that puts you at 1,200 pounds of payload (remember, payload is listed after assuming a 150 pound driver).

Tongue weight is 10-15% of trailer weight. Call it 1,000 pounds. The hitch weight at least 50 pounds. You have 150 pounds left for firewood, coolers, a generator, and any other gear you want to haul. That isn’t much headroom. Throw a 3rd person in the mix and you are over max before putting anything in the truck. Add a camper shell and you are also over max.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG

You work there, have lots of experience with it, what made you get the extended warranty? What were your concerns?
Mostly the way I drive. Second is where I drive (corn fields and off roading in the mountains). Third is the cam phasers. Not cheap to replace at all. Some people have no trouble and some people do. Not sure what the common factor beside it being an F150 is.

Back when I drove a demo, the guys would tease me a lot because of how I drive. They would say shiit like, reason 315 not to buy Bryan's demo! LOL!

Last edited by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG; 12/15/23.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
2014 F150 4x4 3.5EB. 160K miles.I bought used with 109k. No major issue. Dealer replaced the Vacuum pump at 113k and I replaced the plugs in it at 130K. I have all the service records for my truck and showed a set of plugs installed at 86K. I do change the oil every 5K. I would say 80% of the time it gets used as a commuter but I do haul a 20' car trailer loaded with whatever vehicle needs to be moved. And any other junk that needs it.
I do absolutely love the truck. Extremely comfortable, drives great and has all the power I need. I am not real happy with the 16mpg average but I know it could be a lot worse. I'll be doing a few upgrades to the motor soon and have it tuned. There are a whole lot of people that are playing around with these trucks and maki g some really impressive things for them and making unbelievable power with them.
Over all I like the truck enough that if the engine went out tomorrow I'd replace the engine and keep on driving

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JMR40
7500 lbs. is approaching the upper limits of ANY 1/2-ton truck. They state the truck will PULL 12,000 lbs. Your truck will PULL a 7500 lb. trailer with ease, but it is payload you have to watch. That is how much weight your suspension is rated for. There is a sticker on the driver's door with the payload printed on it. You can't look that up anywhere because every truck is different. Ford actually weighs each truck as it comes off the assembly line, that weight is subtracted from GVWR to determine payload.

Knowing exactly which style truck you're looking at matters. Basically, the GVWR of all the trucks are the same, but the heavier the individual truck is, the less payload you have. A 2wd regular cab will be the lightest and have the most payload. A 4X4 crew cab will weigh more and have less payload. A basic truck such as the XL will weight a lot less than a Lariat or Platinum loaded up with options. Some loaded up F150's only have 1100 lbs. of payload. Some a bit over 2000 lbs. But most will be in the 1600-1800 lb. range.

Figure 13% of the trailer weight as tongue weight so a 7500 lb. trailer will put 975 lbs. on your truck's suspension. Figure another 75-100 lbs. or so for the WDH and you have used up 1000-1100 lbs. of your payload. That would leave 500-800 lbs. usable payload for you, any passengers and cargo inside the truck.

If you choose a truck with limited payload, you could max out your payload with just a driver in the cab.

I'd make sure to choose a truck with at least 1800 lbs. of payload. Even at that you'd only have 700-800 lbs. of usable payload with the trailer. Four skinny adults in the cab are going to be 600 lbs. Four large adult men could be 800-1000 lbs. My wife and I combined are 360 lbs. (220+140). And that is before adding any cargo or luggage in the cab or bed.

Check the axle ratio. There is an axle code on the door sticker too. (you can google the code to determine the axle ratio). Ford puts 3.15, 3.31, 3.55, and 3.73 axles in those trucks. You don't want 3.15 or 3.31 gears if you're pulling a trailer. Pass on any of those and find one with 3.55's. The 3.73's are pretty rare with the 3.5 engine but are more common with the 5.0 V8.

With that size trailer you're borderline needing a F250. You can pull the trailer with a F150; but not pull the trailer and carry much in the truck. You'll have to pack carefully. A F250 doesn't pull a trailer much heavier, but it has enough payload for you to pull a 7500 lb trailer AND load up the truck with lots of cargo and passengers.
Thank you jmr40 for the excellent tutorial. I just checked my 2016 f-150 door payload sticker. It's a super cab 4wd with the 5.0 v-8 and 3.73 ratio with payload rating of 2384#'s. Putting my Honda rancher in the back and hooking up my 22' travel trailer (3210#'s) looks like no problem payload wise. It will run about 12 + or - at 65 depending on the wind. Way back when before I bought, car & driver mag did a s×s comparison of 2 f-150's one a 5l the other an eco boost same tranny and gears. They towed a 10k trailer with both trucks same day and route. They said the 5l gave a smooth app of torg and made 11mpg to the ecos 10mpg. But the eco had it if you needed to nail it. Been thinking of upgrading the trailer to a newer 24-26' in the 5k range still looks doable..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 2021 XLT with the 3.5 ECO and 10 speed. I never thought I'd own a full size truck with a V-6. I love mine. PLENTY of power and great gas mileage for a 1/2 ton truck. No issues so far.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No story coming from a friends uncle-in-laws brother.

189k on my 2012 3.5 with no catch cans or replaced turbos nonsense. Oil changes every 6k-7k miles since I bought it. All original drivetrain, water pump, starter, alternator, hubs. Third set of plugs in it now. I had the driver side cat replaced due to a code at 125k and the same bank required an O2 sensor about a week later. Strange occurrence. I don’t drive it as much unless there’s deep snow, a long trip where I want to be more comfortable than my daily beater, or if I’m hooked to my trailer moving someone else heap.

When things start letting go, I’ll replace them and keep rolling. Best pickup I’ve owned by a long shot.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Don't overlook the 5.0 naturally aspired 400hp

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a new in 2012 3.5 traded it in 2019 for a 5.0. Fx4 both with a 6.5 foot bed. I got better mileage with the 3.5 when empty no problems with either so far, knock on wood. I put a catch can in the 3.5 until it froze up, had oil squirting out where it shouldn’t be. It is hilly where I live and the 10 speed always wants to down shift when going down hill, which I read somewhere is the reason for the oil consumption, quite annoying having the engine at 3500 rpm going downhill and it downshifts. Other than that great trucks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ended up getting a Lariat 3.5 Eco(or)Boost over the Sierra 1500 AT4 babyMax. Wow this thing is nice! Fully loaded, brings the payload down quite a bit, but have no concerns as I have no plans to tow over 8k. And no plans to tow often. Sure hope the summer time gas mileage improves, have to absolutely baby the right pedal to try and get a decent number.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Was close to buying one recently, $11k off a '23 Lariat. Feels great, only got about 17.5 mpg on an extended test drive and taking it easy. Seems like all the previous issues have been resolved.

I would NOT buy another diesel. I'd trade my F350 6.7 for the 7.3 gas in a heartbeat if I could swap straight across.

The diesels today are so choked by govt emissions requirements that they don't get near the fuel economy they used to, and are far more unreliable than diesels of yesteryear.

When you add the xtra cost of diesel engine, in my case $10k more for the diesel... For an engine more prone to break, get crappy mileage, and less miles before dying, I would go for the gas. Besides being able to haul and tow whatever I hook to it, ....$10k buys a LOT of gasoline. wink

Not to mention the extra $$$ higher priced diesel fuel, money spent on diesel filters, more oil at oil changes, and buying that fuggin DEF Bullschitt.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/07/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ended up getting a Lariat 3.5 Eco(or)Boost over the Sierra 1500 AT4 babyMax. Wow this thing is nice! Fully loaded, brings the payload down quite a bit, but have no concerns as I have no plans to tow over 8k. And no plans to tow often. Sure hope the summer time gas mileage improves, have to absolutely baby the right pedal to try and get a decent number.

Bet you’ll really like it. Mine has plenty of power to pull anything I need to pull.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My current f150 with the 3.5 barely gets 18 on the highway, empty.
The chevy with the duramax that i had before this ford got 30-31 on the highway.
The last trip I had with it was newfoundland. On the way home fully loaded with 2 moose, I got 28 highway.

I would have kept it, but got tired of some computer issues.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Love my 2014 Crew Cab FX4. Over 100k miles and still going strong.

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 2020 3.5L averages around 18mpg this time of year with 34" E-rated tires, lift, and winch/guard. It got a bit over 20mpg average with factory tires. My previous generation F-150 with the 5.4L 3v and 34" tires averaged more like 15mpg. It could barely manage17-18mpg on an unloaded highway trip and felt like it had about 3/4 of the power of the 3.5L turbo engine. As long as the durability is there, I see the 3.5L EB as a win. I talked last week to an oil/gas guy that operates a fleet of Tundra 4x4 trucks and they have some miles now on some of the turbo models. He's also interested in the durability but says the power is very impressive, even with 35" E-rated tires, winch, lift, and a bed full of tools/equipment.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.