Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by railman58
Being a Hillbilly in WV I hear the statement I talk funny if traveled south or north of WV. They just don't speak our language, Appalachian American, lol.
And still, I bet even you don't ever say "if'n" like a few 'round here..

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Southern English is a very relaxed manner of speaking. We fabricate our own style of contractions and leave the "g" off of the ending of any word that has it.

Spoken Southern English flows much more smoothly than English spoken elsewhere.

Mine has changed just a bit since I moved from far western Kentucky to central Kentucky. Far western Kentucky is "the south". Central Kentucky, not so much.

It was good to travel back "down home" this week and hear my original dialect being spoken again.

That is a great way to explain our way of speaking

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Confucius say
Man who fraid of self checkout not make fun of man who say yall

lolololol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
We all enjoy hearing from you all. They all from up north make fun of us all cause we all don’t say you guys.

I’m fixin to whoop up on ya’lls ass is what my grandma would say.

Cody Johnson has a song called “ Y’ll People”

We had some boys that came down from Michigan to hunt for a week in East Texas. They made fun of the y’all so we went out of our way to lay that on thick. We all, them all, you all, bastards make fun of us wearing Wrangler jeans and blue jean snap shirts too. The shirts were Canadian Tuxedos they said.

My wife, who was raised in Houston, went with me to one of my class reunions up in the Panhandle. She told me " I can see now why you talk the way you do" Thought that was funny..

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Phil Harris, "That's what I like about the South,"

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Half the country says "y'all".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Half have left Dem areas to come here.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Just wondering if ‘y’all’ is regional dialect? Used regularly on these forums, can’t recall ever hearing it used in this corner of PA

Cuz you’re a DAMN YANKEE! The other thang you don’t know bout is sow belly turnip greens chitlins and cone bread!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 12/16/23.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chisos
We all enjoy hearing from you all. They all from up north make fun of us all cause we all don’t say you guys.

We had some boys that came down from Michigan to hunt for a week in East Texas. They made fun of the y’all so we went out of our way to lay that on thick. We all, them all, you all, bastards make fun of us wearing Wrangler jeans and blue jean snap shirts too. The shirts were Canadian Tuxedos they said.

My wife, who was raised in Houston, went with me to one of my class reunions up in the Panhandle. She told me " I can see now why you talk the way you do" Thought that was funny..
I can tell someone from the panhandle as soon as they start talking, my father's family are all from that area.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the reasons I refuse to watch "In The Heat of The Night", other than Carroll O'Connor being a flaming liberal.
You just can't fake a real southern accent

Niece was visiting in California. Aunt sent her into a grocery store for "oil" to fry chicken.
She couldn't find it, so asked a cashier, "Where's the awl?"
They sent her to the detergent aisle.
Finally asked a stocker, "Where's the awl?"
Guy takes her to the detergent aisle and points to a jug of "All" detergent!
Frustrated, she stated, " Not A-L-L like soap, O-I-L like you cook with!"

IC B3

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very common in mid to south missouri

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My extended family is from the Piedmont region of North Carolina, with one cousin still living on the family farm established in the 19th Century.

He has a habit of haddin' a haitch in front a' some words that start with a vowel sound. But hit don't matter.

I grew up in South Florida before the Yankees took over and was taken aback the first time I heard someone say "youse guys".

If you watch a guy from the North try to sound like some stereotypical dumb guy he'll imitate a Southern accent. If you watch a guy from the South try to sound like some stereotypical dumb guy he'll imitate a Brooklyn accent.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I lived in the South for many years. Y'all is almost universal. It might surprise you that y'all is singular. If a Southerner means more than one, the phrase is "all y'all".

BTW, anyone who'd write "I wouldn't of known that." has no room to criticize anyone else's English.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
More than once I've been accused of being a "Yankee" since I moved to the south. My accent ...
I tell folks that I'm from way out West and we had no idea there was ever any War of Northern Aggression till just recently, we were being chased by the local tribes... they laugh!

Every day I hear Y'all and All Y'all along with Might Could and a few other southernizms..

Folks here are very nice and always have a minute to visit and say "Hey" even if we aren't friends, yet.

We mostly say Hey as a greeting, not Howdy or Hi or Hello. Were a little less formal than that and I like it!

Hey Y'all! How ya doin!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by railman58
Being a Hillbilly in WV I hear the statement I talk funny if traveled south or north of WV. They just don't speak our language, Appalachian American, lol.

Exactly.
South West Central PA here (100miles east of Pittsburgh)
The farther North I go, the farther South they think I'm from.
In Montreal, I was accused of being from Georgia!

Some of its regional, some social. Some folks here think I have an accent, others
have it mote.

It even extends to sub, subsections.
There are 4 or 5 noticeable patterns or ways of saying certain words.
For instance, almost every person 40+ from one certain area eats "Hut" dogs,
and uses U in place of an O in many short words.

It's sad to me.
As people move around, watch TV, become more "Educated" accents fade away.
Go into any Big Southern city and most of the folks sound more north than us.
It's the rural areas where you find the Southern Drawl.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yall welcome to our Ainglish. I'd like to trade Atlanta for Vermont New Hampshire Maine. Not just for those big deer but getting rid of Cesspool Atl. I'll throw in Birmingham except for our Medical field for some of that maple syrup.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It’s in my Hillbilly vocabulary of butchering the English language.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I lived in the South for many years. Y'all is almost universal. It might surprise you that y'all is singular. If a Southerner means more than one, the phrase is "all y'all".

BTW, anyone who'd write "I wouldn't of known that." has no room to criticize anyone else's English.

Lol. I wouldn't of known that if you hadn't pointed it out. Maybe with all your higher learned education you could understand the English language enough to be able to follow along with the simple context of a discussion.

Nobody's criticizing anybody. It's a friendly discussion about real or perceived misuses of words in the English language depending on what region you're from. The differences were amusing to me then, and it still is.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Chisos

I can tell someone from the panhandle as soon as they start talking, my father's family are all from that area.

That is true, deep east Texas people also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm originally from southern Illinois and didn't think I had an accent. Ha! When I went through the military Public Affairs School, I learned to speak in "Broadcast Neutral" which is devoid of regional accents. But I tend to take on any regional eccentricity like a parrot if I'm somewhere for very long. I learned to speak Texan, Mizzipian, and Floduh.

I developed a comic routine I call "How To Speak Dixie" that has four rules. Sadly, it can't be written or I'd maybe amuse y'all here with it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,243
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.