Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19010868 12/13/23
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I saw a thread on the different power cans. I wanted to see about starting a discussion on wooden ammo crates. Below are 2 of the savage crates I have. My question is how many different calibers of crates would there be? Also how many companies made savage ammo and shipped in wooden crates?

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC and am not mistaken I thought Stever, "1899sav" brought an unopened full crate of 250-3000 to a Fest. A Winchester? Sadly I didn't save an image.

Rory ??!!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
IIRC and am not mistaken I thought Stever, "1899sav" brought an unopened full crate of 250-3000 to a Fest. A Winchester? Sadly I didn't save an image.

Rory ??!!

Actually, Steve had a full crate of Savage brand 250-3000 for sale for a long time. Don't know if he ever sold them or not?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by girlguncollector
I saw a thread on the different power cans. I wanted to see about starting a discussion on wooden ammo crates. Below are 2 of the savage crates I have. My question is how many different calibers of crates would there be? Also how many companies made savage ammo and shipped in wooden crates?
I'd imagine all the major ammunition manufactures used wooden crates for bulk shipments. Winchester, Savage, Peters, etc.
Different calibers? All of them. wink

For Savage folks, Utica, Chicopee and Westfield in that order. Older is better.
Calibers? They're all good, some are just better. Cool factor varies from individual to individual.

They are a nice addition to any cave.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I see a lot fewer centerfire than shotshell or rim fire crates.

"Also how many companies made savage ammo and shipped in wooden crates?"
Do you mean how many companies produced ammo for Savage or just sold ammo in the Savage calibers?

Last edited by Rick99; 12/14/23.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ive got one savage arms corp crate chicopee falls address, 270 winchester caliber. I keep shed antlers in it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The small crate has "small arms ammunition" printed on the other side.
The large crate has "fragile handle with care" printed on the other side. Pistols??

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It ain't Loggah's or Fug's, but it's a start...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
When did Savage stop making ammunition? ... and when did Savage stop selling Savage-branded ammo, regardless of who made it?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
When did Savage stop making ammunition? ... and when did Savage stop selling Savage-branded ammo, regardless of who made it?
Zimmerman says..........

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Per Peter Zimmerman's [/i]Savage Ammunition[i], Savage brand ammunition was manufactured as follows:

1895 - 1899 UMC
1900 - 1927 Savage (From 1900 - 1927 Savage was forced to manufacture their own ammunition after the industry refused to make ammunition for them.)
1928 - 1934 USCC (corrected)
1935 - 1963 Remington

Savage brand ammunition production ended in 1963.

Last edited by Rick99; 12/14/23.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm old enough to remember wooden ammo shipping boxes being used strictly for greasy old car parts storage under work benches and as kindling wood. Once as a kid I varnished a Winchester box for use as a magazine holder and my Old Man said I was nuts and could've made a nicer receptacle out of some of the oak in the shop. Eventually when the magazines got tossed in the trash the box went with them.

I guess it's a wonder that any have survived to this day as they were intended to be disposable and were treated as such.

Anecdotally, my Grandfather snagged empty dynamite boxes from a local coal mine - just as colorful as ammo crates and universally built with box joints (finger joints) - he must've glommed onto hundreds of them in total, and they all went into the wood stove that heated his shop. My regret as a kid was that I never found any stray sticks of dynamite in any of the boxes as I smashed them up with a hammer.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This ammo box talk got me thinking of the wooden Hercules dynamite boxes my Dad uses to store stuff in in his garage. Unfortunately no wooden ammo boxes though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a Winchester Super Speed 300 SAVAGE create on my desk holding copies of my book that I send out for ebay/gunbroker sales. Would love to run into more, but as said most crates are shotshell.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Have had 35 or so Winchester Cartridge (not shotgun) boxes over the years. My favorites are the older dovetail boxes. Still come across a couple a year at the markets, but like everything they’ve gotten a lot more expensive.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Welp, I learned there is a book for powder cans.
Is there a book for ammunition crates??

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I was thinking of how many crates that have the savage calibers. Like the 300 savage crate but different companies.
Originally Posted by Rick99
I see a lot fewer centerfire than shotshell or rim fire crates.

"Also how many companies made savage ammo and shipped in wooden crates?"
Do you mean how many companies produced ammo for Savage or just sold ammo in the Savage calibers?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Have had 35 or so Winchester Cartridge (not shotgun) boxes over the years. My favorites are the older dovetail boxes. Still come across a couple a year at the markets, but like everything they’ve gotten a lot more expensive.

Dovetailed boxes? Are you sure they weren't finger jointed? I never saw a dovetailed box, but never say never I suppose.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Sun,
Certain that Winchester, UMC/Remington Peters and Dominion (Canada) manufactured ammunition for all of the proprietary Savage cartridges. There probably are others

Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Dovetailed boxes? Are you sure they weren't finger jointed? I never saw a dovetailed box, but never say never I suppose.

Finger joints they are Gary

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1963 was the last year for Savage brand ammo and the first year for the government child warning. pic of last year ammo box.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/15/23.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 54 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,878
Posts18,518,151
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.