Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You bet. I'm watching it again for about the 4th time. Can't wait for the last in the series due out in a couple months - the one about the 8th Air Force in Europe. Hope it's as well done as "The Pacific".

I really can't fault Hollywood prop men for mistakes like that. At least they had the 1st Marine Division armed with bolt guns and water cooled .30's.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Waiting on that, too.

Another instance in the sake of historical accuracy is the use of drum mags in the Thompsons, which I believe whose use was discontinued (the mags, not the gun) because of reliability issues. All-in-all, a fairly well-done series.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
So how good a groups can your m-1 shoot? I like m-1's too but your comparing apples to oranges.
My particular M1 used to shoot sub-moa for an en bloc full of 168 SMK's back in the '90s. These days it'll do a bit less than twice that on a good eye day. It may not be an exactly "as-issued" rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A darned goodly number of 03A3's will shoot like houses afire, make no mistake.

Springfield's accuracy standard for acceptance for finished rifles was 2MOA with then current Ball ammo, and each rifle was test fired before it left for service. If the gun didn't make the grade it went back to the Armory for rework. Accuracy across the board was almost universally better than that but that was the minimum standard. And mind you, the gov't-issue Ball ammo back in the teens-30's was crappy stuff by today's standards. National Match 03's, special target models, and NRA Sporters were held to a higher standard, 1 1/2 MOA minimum, but commonly figured at 1 to 1 1/4 MOA with Frankford Arsenal Match ammo. Again, they were good for better than that on average and will prove it today with good ammo with modern bullets. I really don't know what Remington/Smith-Corona standards were for minimum accuracy with 03A3's, if they even had any or if they even test fired for minimally acceptable accuracy.

I saw a photograph once of the test range where Armory employees were test firing 03 Springfields. A long open-fronted room with rows of benchrests and guys all shooting 03's, with racks of fresh rifles sitting behind them. The floor was literally ankle deep in spent brass. Imagine that. A pretty hardy bunch of fellas to do that 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and not a set of ear plugs or ear muffs in evidence, and no shooting glasses. Those guys were a close-knit bunch and had formed a club for "off duty hours" and met every Saturday after work --- to shoot!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
a very nice '03 A3 is on my want list.

Last edited by ldholton; 10/30/23.
IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Beautiful rifle! One of the most handsome, actually.

I'd share a recent deer story- I was at the local rifle range a few weeks ago- I had just walked back from putting up a target, and I sat down at the bench to take aim. As I looked through the scope, I was surprised to see the crosshairs resting squarely on a beautiful doe, which took up most of the field of view in the scope! I cleared the chamber and waited for her to finish strolling across the width of the range and back into the forest.

I see deer out there quite often, but I've never been surprised like I was on this occasion. I think they know they are safe at the rifle range!

Last edited by foamantelope; 10/31/23.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think I have mentioned this before but one of the A3s I got from CMP had a two groove barrel and the first time I looked down the barrel I almost went cross eyed. Plus, it looked like a rusted up iron pipe. Talk about a strange sight. It didn’t shoot well either.

Anyhow I found a NOS four groove barrel with the same mfg. date, full of cosmoline. I had the CMP Custom shop replace the barrel and I think it could now shoot better than I can hold. Now I need to find one of those USMC front sight blades to help out these mature eyeballs.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My own Holy Grail came to me by sheer accident. During the better part of an early nineties year, my home and office were some four hundred miles apart. I usually flew round trip most weekends on the Government nickel. Exception as flight cancelled and decided to rent a car and drive. A pee break taking me into a just off I-5 fancy upscale Sporting goods store in Stockton, Ca. Most ski & winter sports, surprised to find fancy shotguns behind glass and an open-floor rack of "also ran" long guns half hidden in clothing. There; 'it'. An NRA Springfield Sporter. Product of Springfield Armory for NRA Members, the Model 1903 in sporting configuration largely consisting of a Lyman 48 Sight and a half stock with especially made barrel band and butt plate. The price that day in my history, $250 for this minty, original specimen. Snapped it up! Pix below. "Star Gauge" marking at 6 O'clock position of muzzle.

Verified with Springfield Research Service, it's legitimacy and much later, the original owner's name and "shipped to..." location in Midwest. Found him in Oakland Calif as death occurred in late forties and place of burial in Midwest. Photo of his gravestone in my files.

Mine, was in 'about' the first group made, all hand-fitted, build in June 1924 barrel date and shipped to that owner in 1925. These rifles and components offered by Springfield Armory into the mid thirties as both the Depression and domestic gun manufacturer complaints of "Government" competing with private firms; as valid. Something over 4K total production. Early editions as mine, "double heat treated" making for incredibly smooth actions. Later ones of Nickel Steel. Very few "original & unaltered" specimens surviving! Talk about luck... Moreover, "lucky pee!" smile

Best!
John

Attached Images
R337-2.jpg (26.58 KB, 276 downloads)
R337-3.jpg (25.36 KB, 277 downloads)
R337-19.jpg (21.43 KB, 277 downloads)
R337-11.jpg (37.22 KB, 277 downloads)
R337-30U.jpg (21 KB, 277 downloads)
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My own Holy Grail came to me by accident. During the better part of a year as my home and office were some four hundred miles apart. I usually flew home most weekends on the Government nickel but had decided to rent a car and drive for the hell of it! A pee break taking me into a just off I-5 fancy upscale Sporting goods store in Stockton, Ca. Most ski & winter sports, surprised to find fancy shotguns in a glass case behind a counter. Brief chat as learning a rack of "also ran" long guns largely hidden in clothing. There 'it'. An NRA Springfield Sporter. Made by Springfield Armory for NRA Members, the Model 1903 in sporting configuration largely consisting of a Lyman 48 Sight and a half stock with especially made barrel band and butt plate. The price, $250 for this minty, original specimen. Snapped it up! Pix below. Verified with Springfield Research Service it's legitimacy and much later, the original owner's name and "shipped to..." location. Found him in Oakland Calif as death occurring in late forties and his place of burial in Midwest. Photo of his gravestone in my files.

Mine was in 'about' the first group made, all hand-fitted, build in 1924 and shipped to that owner in 1925. These rifles and components offered by Springfield Armory into the mid thirties as both trench of the Depression and complaints of "Government" not to compete with private firms, as valid. Something over 4K total production. Early editions as mine, "double heat treated" making for incredibly smooth actions. Later ones of Nickel Steel. Very few "original & unaltered" ones surviving! Talk about luck... My only "lucky pee! smile

Best!
John

Attached Images
R337-2.jpg (26.58 KB, 273 downloads)
R337-3.jpg (25.36 KB, 274 downloads)
R337-11.jpg (37.22 KB, 274 downloads)
R337-19.jpg (21.43 KB, 274 downloads)
R337-30U.jpg (21 KB, 274 downloads)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by iskra
My own Holy Grail came to me by accident. During the better part of a year as my home and office were some four hundred miles apart. I usually flew home most weekends on the Government nickel but had decided to rent a car and drive for the hell of it! A pee break taking me into a just off I-5 fancy upscale Sporting goods store in Stockton, Ca. Most ski & winter sports, surprised to find fancy shotguns in a glass case behind a counter. Brief chat as learning a rack of "also ran" long guns largely hidden in clothing. There 'it'. An NRA Springfield Sporter. Made by Springfield Armory for NRA Members, the Model 1903 in sporting configuration largely consisting of a Lyman 48 Sight and a half stock with especially made barrel band and butt plate. The price, $250 for this minty, original specimen. Snapped it up! Pix below. Verified with Springfield Research Service it's legitimacy and much later, the original owner's name and "shipped to..." location. Found him in Oakland Calif as death occurring in late forties and his place of burial in Midwest. Photo of his gravestone in my files.

Mine was in 'about' the first group made, all hand-fitted, build in 1924 and shipped to that owner in 1925. These rifles and components offered by Springfield Armory into the mid thirties as both trench of the Depression and complaints of "Government" not to compete with private firms, as valid. Something over 4K total production. Early editions as mine, "double heat treated" making for incredibly smooth actions. Later ones of Nickel Steel. Very few "original & unaltered" ones surviving! Talk about luck... My only "lucky pee! smile

Best!
John

I have its twin, and consider it one of the jewels in my collection. Dates to 1929, sold to a gentleman in Alaska who used it on his pilgrimages to Kodiak Island. Family lore had it account for a few brown bears over the years. I got it from the grandson of the original owner who was an old guy himself at the time and was cashing in his chips. It shoots quite nicely, as one would expect, and it still gets some time afield in my hands. In fact, it'll be in my duffle when I head down to Kentucky for deer next week. Checked zero last Saturday and it only took a tweaking to have it print right where I wanted it (after whanging around with some different loads other than my standard hunting load over the summer). Good ju-ju in this old girl.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
love me some sc 03a3 i've got and its highly prized!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iskra

Best!
John
I have a 1918 Springfield as well. But mine has been ransacked. I really want your buttplate. I'm guessing mine is a very early NRA rifle. Before records were kept or a copy of the NRA model. It was sold to my local gun store by a descendent of a passed owner. My guess is it was abandoned in a closet for 50 years. I had a new 1903 barrel installed

kwg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
navlav8r. Try 1903Partshop, Kevin Blackhurst for the USMC 03A3 front sight blade. Definitely got me on target a lot quicker than the original narrow sight blade "All types of parts, military, US, foreign or commercial". Got mine from him. Fast shipping reasonable4 price, IMO and will answer questions re installation. He also sells on ebay.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For some reason these poor Springfields do get stuffed in the back closet and forgotten. My own 1918 M1903 Springfield was stored around a corner in a closet in an old farmhouse in Central Wisconsin. Was told by the shop owner that it sat there many years. The house finally sold and the new owners found the rifle after a more thorough inspection. They took it in to the nearest LGS since it wasn't part of the deal and got whatever the proprietor paid. I traded him $500 worth of merchandise for it, mostly ammo, primers and brass. It shoots great, but the weight of it isn't ideal for most hunting situations.

C
C
I got from cmp a m-1 they called loaded, had a new stock and new barrel about 2 years ago and relieved wood in the normal spots and went over it very carefull took it out to my range and with 47 gr a2495 and palma bullets was getting 3 1/2 inch groups at 200 but every other group had a flyer that could be out by 3 or 4 inches so I went over it again and the rear handguard felt a little tight and I remember wanting to avoid taking it off because the little clip is hard to get off the barrel. I got it off and it was not a little tight, it was a lot tight so I took wood out untill it didn't contact the barrel and shot it again and 3 inches for 5 shots at 200 with no flyer this time hopefully no flyers next time either. I took this rifle to Sacramento to let my grandsons shoot a silhouette match for rack grade military rifles Thanksgiving time and for the rams at 500 meters I brought some loads 47 gr A2495 and 168 mk figuring if that load shot 155's it would like 168's but I tested the 168's and that group was 8 inches at 200 for 5 shots so back to the palma bullets, I could not be happier how they shoot in the garand. I will take it back to sacramento in January for them to try again

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've got a bubba-sporterized 03 Springfield in a really oddball maple stock- - - -drilled and tapped for some sort of weird looking Weaver style scope mounts and an antique Weaver steel tube 4X scope. It shoots better than it looks, thankfully! I also have a handful of "paperweights"- - - -investment cast Parker-Hale unfinished receivers that take an 03 bolt and Mauser bottom metal. One of these days I'll finish machining one of them and see if it can be heat treated to the right Rockwell numbers to try firing a few rounds (with a long string to the trigger, strapped down to a big truck tire). I've also got several of the P-H receivers that use Mauser bolts.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
navlav8r. Try 1903Partshop, Kevin Blackhurst for the USMC 03A3 front sight blade. Definitely got me on target a lot quicker than the original narrow sight blade "All types of parts, military, US, foreign or commercial". Got mine from him. Fast shipping reasonable4 price, IMO and will answer questions re installation. He also sells on ebay.

Time for me to break out the credit card. Thanks.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Am interested in getting a bayonet to go along with my 03A3. Did the Springfield use the same bayonet as the M-1 Garand?

Thanks! Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are 2 styles of bayonets that fit the M1. The early style came from the 1903 and the second style is strictly for the M1 Garand. The early style fits over the barrel of the M1 and locks onto the bayonet lug on the gas tube. The second style for the M1 has a "nub" that fits into the whole of the gas lock.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kwg020
There are 2 styles of bayonets that fit the M1. The early style came from the 1903 and the second style is strictly for the M1 Garand. The early style fits over the barrel of the M1 and locks onto the bayonet lug on the gas tube. The second style for the M1 has a "nub" that fits into the whole of the gas lock.

kwg

Thanks! I thought that I'd seen two different kinds for the M-1 Garand. I'll have to see about finding a bayonet that fits my 03A3. That would help round out the package.

Regards, Guy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 40 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,206
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.