Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Came across this in my LGS.

Thoughts?

Beretzs has agreed to post pics, thanks Scotty!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BUY BUY BUY!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What’s the S/N?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I looked at the serial number and unfortunately didn't take a picture.

Can't recall.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Looks like a short tang gun with a Lyman 56W. Is there a scale on the Lyman? May just be the pics, but the wood appears to have a lot more wear than the metal. IMO a lot of money for that gun, one could find a prewar long tang Special with a bolt peep and a lot more condition for those $’s.

Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Pocono.

Looking at comparable rifles on Gunsinternational and Gunbroker I believe you are correct in that the rifle is overpriced.

But it sure felt good in my hands!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bill Goodman has this one for $2450. He's usually full retail so it's a good price comparison

https://goodmanguns.com/win-71-dlx/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe just the lighting or angle. Gun appears to be reblued to me. The side to top angle appears rounded. Also most of the early guns I have seen( only owned 1 4 digit bolt peep) the loading gate had changed color.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 338reddog; 12/17/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like both 71s in that rack have had stock work done to them. The one you’re interested in appears to at least have extra finish added to the buttstock and may have been sanded on a bit. The checkering appears to be “filled in too much” with finish - but maybe it’s just worn.

Wood to metal fit should always show that the wood is proud of the metal. Including at the buttplate. The serial number should have a “ghost shadow” of grayish color around each digit showing original receiver blueing. Also, the from sight should have a visible rectanglukar polishing mark below the ramp on both sides of the barrel - again, showing original factor finish.

For $3500 and not a lot of effort you could easily find a short tang deluxe in near mint original condition IF you’re willing to shop online.

I would take your justifiable lust for this rifle and apply it to future efforts to find a nicer one - for the same money, if not for less.

It is easy for a picture to make a gun look better or worse. These rifles are all in original, unaltered condition and most are in high condition. But the picture makes them look like they’re missing blueing, they appear to have overly glossy (looks as though refinished) stocks, etc.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Always had a thing for the Carbines

Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks gents.

The second rifle on the rack was definitely a restock and a reblue.

What's an original carbine go for these days?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can still find deluxe carbines in 85-90% original condition (which imo is a “sweet spot” of condition and usability) for sub $4k. All correct standard carbines are RARE and hard to find at any price. The last deluxe carbine I bought was about 90-95% and I paid $3400 but that was several years ago. I got lucky with a minty standard carbine for $2200 about the same time. I haven’t found a carbine since, that I was willing to pay the asking price on, but have seen several honest examples go for $4-$5k.

For what it’s worth, rifle length 71s balance better than carbines. Aesthetically I lean toward the carbine every time though, and minute of whitetail I don’t believe there much difference in accuracy in the field.

I’ve never paid more than $2k for a 71 otherwise (with the exception of a first year deluxe with a factory ordered roll matted barrel).

The last I bought was a month or two ago. A very clean deluxe rifle, first or second year long tang. And for just a smidge over $1300! Deals are out there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
You can still find deluxe carbines in 85-90% original condition (which imo is a “sweet spot” of condition and usability) for sub $4k. All correct standard carbines are RARE and hard to find at any price. The last deluxe carbine I bought was about 90-95% and I paid $3400 but that was several years ago. I got lucky with a minty standard carbine for $2200 about the same time. I haven’t found a carbine since, that I was willing to pay the asking price on, but have seen several honest examples go for $4-$5k.

For what it’s worth, rifle length 71s balance better than carbines. Aesthetically I lean toward the carbine every time though, and minute of whitetail I don’t believe there much difference in accuracy in the field.

I’ve never paid more than $2k for a 71 otherwise (with the exception of a first year deluxe with a factory ordered roll matted barrel).

The last I bought was a month or two ago. A very clean deluxe rifle, first or second year long tang. And for just a smidge over $1300! Deals are out there.

You scored on that long tang for $1,300.00!!! The last one I saw was $2,000.00 and it had an original bolt peep on it. It was a beautiful rifle in excellent condition. It had a 4 digit serial #, so I'm assuming it was a first year model. I haven't commented on the OP's rifle in question, but the stock shows way more wear than the metal. It may have also been refinished. I do not like the rear peep that it's wearing either. But that is probably because I owned a 1937 long tang with the original bolt peep. Those just look much better to my eye.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Always had a thing for the Carbines

Same here. I have a Browning but I’d love a Winchester one day.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You scored on that long tang for $1,300.00!!! The last one I saw was $2,000.00 and it had an original bolt peep on it. It was a beautiful rifle in excellent condition. It had a 4 digit serial #, so I'm assuming it was a first year model. I haven't commented on the OP's rifle in question, but the stock shows way more wear than the metal. It may have also been refinished. I do not like the rear peep that it's wearing either. But that is probably because I owned a 1937 long tang with the original bolt peep. Those just look much better to my eye.

I was very pleased with the deal. I’ve bought several nice and original 71s for under a grand. I’ve more often seen them with rubber pads, scope mount holes, or non original finish for $2500-$3500 that don’t ever sell.

I couldn’t agree more that a long tang with a boot peep has the best visual appeal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The finish of the buttstock appears to have been altered, checkering also does not match that on the forearm as far as wear. Definately overpriced.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Anyone use these on anything other than a bambi?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I killed an elk with one. Was using original Remington factory 200 grain Mushroom Cor-Lokt hollow point bullets. These were very early Cor-Lokt's that were true control expansion bullets, unlike the common cup and core they produced since 1970. Shot it twice so it didn't go too far. Recovered one bullet. My son-in-law shot a bison with one using original 250 grain Winchester Silvertip. The oldest style that again was a true control expansion bullet with the hard nickel cap. Result 1 shot, one buffalo.

Originally Posted by 338reddog
Maybe just the lighting or angle. Gun appears to be reblued to me. The side to top angle appears rounded. Also most of the early guns I have seen( only owned 1 4 digit bolt peep) the loading gate had changed color.
I agree with 338reddog that gun looks to me to be reblued.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.