-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 37 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 36 37
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And all of the minor points that people cling to…all of em’…pale in comparison to the reality that Jesus predicted His own death and resurrection ~ and pulled it off…! So when He tells us all of the things that He does…especially that He’ll walk through this life with us, and that we can spend eternity in His presence…I believe Him. My trust and my confidence are in Him.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
And all of the minor points that people cling to…all of em’…pale in comparison to the reality that Jesus predicted His own death and resurrection ~ and pulled it off…! So when He tells us all of the things that He does…especially that He’ll walk through this life with us, and that we can spend eternity in His presence…I believe Him. My trust and my confidence are in Him.

Foreshadowing in a story does not make the story true.

Keep in mind, the Gospels were not written at the time of the alleged events, but decades later by anonymous authors. A lot of story elements can change during decades of re-writes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It is interesting the deniers changed BC and AD to BCE and CE. They still use the same person, Jesus Christ, as the delineation between the two erras.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jesus is a Greek word. his real name was Yeshua or as we call it, Joshua. he did exist, Romans have the name and He was known troublemaker (Jewish priesthood). he was against the established religion.

The Emperor Constantine called the Council of Nicea, the first general council of the Christian church, 325 A.D.—primarily because he feared that disputes within the church would cause disorder within the empire. Concerning manuscripts that were burned at the order of Constantine, there is really no mention of such a thing actually happening at the order of Constantine or at the Council of Nicea. The Arian party’s (look up Arianism) document claiming Christ to be a created being, was abandoned by them because of the strong resistance to it and was torn to shreds in the sight of everyone present at the council. Constantine, and the Council of Nicea, for that matter, had virtually nothing to do with the forming of the canon. It was not even discussed at Nicea. The council that formed an undisputed decision on the canon took place at Carthage in 397, sixty years after Constantine’s death.

21 books were acknowledged by all Christians (the 4 Gospels, Acts, 13 Paul, 1 Peter, 1 John, Revelation). There were 10 disputed books (Hebrews, James, 2 Peter, 2-3 John, Jude, Ps-Barnabas, Hermas, Didache, Gospel of Hebrews) and several that most all considered heretical—Gospels of Peter, Thomas, Matthaias, Acts of Andrew, John, etc.

During the fourth century, several church synods, such as the Councils of Rome (382), Hippo (393), and Carthage (397), accepted all 27 books of the New Testament as canonical. In 1604, England’s King James I authorized a new translation of the Bible aimed at settling some thorny religious differences in his kingdom—and solidifying his own power.

But in seeking to prove his own supremacy, King James ended up democratizing the Bible instead. Thanks to emerging printing technology, the new translation brought the Bible out of the church’s sole control and directly into the hands of more people than ever before, including the Protestant reformers who settled England’s North American colonies in the 17th century. Published in 1611, the King James Bible spread quickly throughout Europe. Because of the wealth of resources devoted to the project, it was the most faithful and scholarly translation to date.

what happened to the Disciples that didn't get canonized? were they telling the truth of the Church? why would the Gospels that were not canonized be burned? makes you wonder about the "established religion".

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Foreshadowing in a story does not make the story true.

Keep in mind, the Gospels were not written at the time of the alleged events, but decades later by anonymous authors. A lot of story elements can change during decades of re-writes.
Amen!!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I cant believe this line of bs has dragged on this long. The bible is bs cover to cover.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by RHOD
The model of the Earth and Universe described in the Bible:

https://www.christianorthodox.net/images/world3.jpg

Try to use the Bible as a science text book and you're and idiot.

Still hoping some Bible literalist will explain this model of the universe to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only know of one way of deciding which of anything to believe, and that is on the basis of evidence. There’s some confusion about faith; a lotta folks have accepted Richard Dawkins definition of faith as believing where there’s no evidence. And that’s just nonsense. Faith is an ordinary word; it’s not just a religious word. It’s an ordinary word that means trust. Most of us don’t trust people or facts without having evidence. Your bank won’t trust you with a loan unless you provide evidence of collateral.

Christianity is an evidence based faith. But the word has been spread around by the likes of Richard Dawkins and his ilk that faith is a vice because…according to him and his ilk…it’s believing where there’s no evidence. And again, that’s just nonsense. That’s blind faith. Christianity is evidence based.

The Apostle John said that Jesus did many other things in the presence of His disciples that aren’t written in this book (the one that John was writing); but the one’s that are written are so that we might believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that in believing we might have life in His name. In other words, here’s some of the evidence on which this faith is based.

Now someone might complain that’s John who is in this book called the Bible so he’s biased and verboten. But the fact is that John, when he wrote that, didn’t even know that there was gonna be this canonized collection of books called the Bible. He was just a real person who saw and experienced real events in history and was simply proclaiming the reality of those events to the original audience.

Sometimes folks put the cart before the horse in terms of quickly discrediting an eyewitness to events in history.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't buy into it. Just doesn't make sense to me and I grew up Catholic. To even consider the earth to be 6000 years old is ridiculous at best. The 2 M's....miracles and magic just aren't something I can believe in.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even if one doesn’t believe in miracles, and even if one doesn’t believe in the Gospel, I do think that following Jesus makes one’s life better and makes one better at life.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by DBT
The Apostle’s were sharing Jesus’ words and telling of His works from the time that Jesus was alive until they died. They didn’t have to ‘try’ to remember back to anything when the Gospels and Letters were written. They shared the very same testimonies from the very beginning.

It most likely was not the Apostles who wrote the gospels. which were likely to have been penned from 55 - 95ad (John) by unknown authors writing under the pseudonyms of Mark, Luke, etc.....and these, including Paul's letters, is the only account we have of the life of Jesus. And Paul seemed not to have known much about Jesus the man.

''No parables of the sheep and the goats, or the prodigal son, or the rich man and Lazarus, or the lost sheep, or the good Samaritan. In fact, no Jesus as teacher at all.

No driving out evil spirits, or healing the invalid at Bethesda, or cleansing the lepers, or raising Lazarus, or other healing miracles. As far as Paul tells us, Jesus performed no miracles at all.

No virgin birth, no Sermon on the Mount, no feeding the 5000, no public ministry, no cleansing the temple, no final words, and no Great Commission. Paul doesn’t even place Jesus within history—there’s nothing to connect Jesus with historical figures like Caesar Augustus, King Herod, or Pontius Pilate.''

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2012/12/what-did-paul-know-about-jesus-not-much/

Other than Josephus.

As I said, Josephus had never seen or met Jesus personally and was not a witness to any of the events described in the gospels, Josephus commented on what he had heard.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Even if one doesn’t believe in miracles, and even if one doesn’t believe in the Gospel, I do think that following Jesus makes one’s life better and makes one better at life.

Jesus is a container word. You can pour what ever you want into it, and no two believer pour exactly the same stuff into that container.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
“With respect to Jesus, we have numerous, independent accounts of his life in the sources lying behind the Gospels (and the writings of Paul) -- sources that originated in Jesus' native tongue Aramaic and that can be dated to within just a year or two of his life (before the religion moved to convert pagans in droves). Historical sources like that are pretty astounding for an ancient figure of any kind. Moreover, we have relatively extensive writings from one first-century author, Paul, who acquired his information within a couple of years of Jesus' life and who actually knew, first hand, Jesus' closest disciple Peter and his own brother James.” - Bart Ehrman

Bart Ehrman is the author of ‘Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth.’ He is also a distinguished biblical scholar, and an atheist.

99.99% of all of the history books that any of us have ever read were written long after the described events. The view (meant to be derogatory) that “the Gospels were written long after the described events” founders on its own premises. The reality…as unwelcome or unpleasant as some clearly find it…is that the New Testament documents are reliable accounts.
There's far more supporting documentation for Jesus than for Aristotle.

Not even close. Nor is the dispute so much about the existence of the man 'Jesus' (Yeshua Ben Yoseph) as a charismatic rabbi, but the supernatural stories that grew with retelling as the movement grew.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Christianity is an evidence based faith. And that’s exactly what the early ekklesia of Jesus knew. Apostle Paul said that if Jesus didn’t rise from the dead then His followers are the most pitied of all because they’ve placed their hope in an illusion. But He did rise from the dead, and there’s evidence of this in history.

Now if you listen to someone like Matt Dillahunty, an atheist activist, he claims there’s no evidence; he claims there’s just claims. And what he means by evidence is specifically scientific evidence. He demands the type of evidence that you can put under a microscope and say “that’s evidence.”

But that’s not the kind of evidence that exists in history. History is a different category of evidence. And the manuscripts that comprise the New Testament are historic in nature, and they contain the exact type of evidence that exists all throughout written ancient history.

So if you don’t accept the reality and the historicity of Jesus based upon this history, then you might as well throw out Alexander the Great and Tiberius Caesar and Aristotle and Plato and all of the other ancient historical figures. You might as well throw out all of ancient history because you can’t really ‘know’ anything and it’s ‘all’ mythology. Just put your head in a hole in the ground about all of it.

But if you look at it on its own face value…we know Jesus was alive at point A, and we know He was dead at point B, and we know He was alive again at point C…based on countless eyewitnesses, and based on many transformed lives, and based on Peter attesting to it, and based on James (the brother of Jesus) attesting to it, and based on all of His closest followers attesting to it, and based on a great many people giving their lives for it to say that, “yes, this really happened,” and, “yes, this is true,” then there really are significant historic reasons to believe that it did happen.

Christianity is a matter a fact. It’s not blind faith. I simply invite people to investigate the evidence. And then make up their own minds.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Faith by definition is a belief held without evidence.

That's why 'faith' is needed to believe. If evidence exists, it can be examined, checked and tested.

Some believers tend to have a very loose definition of 'evidence.'

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Me, I believe.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Christianity is a matter a fact. It’s not blind faith. I simply invite people to investigate the evidence. And then make up their own minds.

Like Dr Kindell says, "If we had a lot more serious sceptics, we would have a lot more Christians. They tend to prove themselves wrong."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I believe, pure, and simple, child like.

Remember the thief on the Cross?

Me, I believe.

OK, I'll bite. What do you believe? Please be specific.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
It is interesting the deniers changed BC and AD to BCE and CE. They still use the same person, Jesus Christ, as the delineation between the two erras.

It is interesting that Christians deny significance of the days of the week, and calendar months, named after Roman gods, yet they still use them anyway. If that's not a big bitch slap to the gods, I don't know what is.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Except that it demonstrabally doesn't. If you believe in absurdities, you can instigate and perform attrocities.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 30 of 37 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,236
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.