Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
.........We all heard there were millions of buffalos on the cotenant of North America when the
Settlers arrived. They ranged from the Appellation Mountains in the east to the Rocky Mountains
in the west. Many estimate there were between thirty million (30,000,000) to one hundred
million (100,000,000) buffalo when Columbus arrived. Some railroad travelers reported when
out on the plains seeing one herd 125 miles long and as far as the eye could see. If we give each
buffalo ten (10) feet on each side and ten feet in front and behind, it possesses about 300 square
feet. There is a simple formula on how far one can see on flat ground due to the curvature of the
earth. One measures from the height of one’s eyes in feet and uses the square root of that
number in miles to determine the approximate distance one is seeing. For simplicity let’s put
their eyes at nine feet above the plane. Using this formula and the 300 square feet per animal, we
divide the square feet in 375 miles by the 300 square feet per buffalo and arrive at about thirty
million (30,000,000) in that particular herd.
.........As early as two years old buffalo cow can produce a calf. Normally she will bare a single calf.
The hunters would kill any wolves they encountered because they were competing predators.
Therefore, more calves reached maturity than when the wolves were preying on the buffalo.
Modern herd managers report there is about one (1) bull for every fifteen (15) cows. Even if only
half the cows produced a calf and only half of them lived, we are talking six to twelve million (6 –
12,000,000) new bison added to the herd each year.
..........We’ve also heard how the buffalo herd was wantonly decimated by money hungry white men
and their guns. Originally only subsistence hunting threaten the buffalo. Subsistence hunting
included the Indians. Once Indian got horses they acted like most anyone else. They killed more
than they could use. Even prior to this a tribe would drive several hundred over a cliff to kill them.
These hunters may have balanced the lack of wolves so that the herd size remained stable until
about 1820. About this time buffalo hunting started for skins and meat for the railroad.
..........Making inroads into the population using only the lowest estimate of 30,000,000 to get to the
end of the hunting about sixty years later, how many would have to be killed every year? The
hunters would have to kill equivalent to all calves born and then more. Let’s take a middle of the
road number of nine million (9,000,000) new calves the first year plus some adults to get to the
few hundred that were left going into 1880. Long about half way there would about 15,000,000.
With the ratio of one bull to every fifteen cows we are still looking at 4,500,000 calves plus a lots
of adults to keep the number of buffalo going down.
...........How much lead and powder is necessary to kill the at least seventy million (70,000,000) bison?
Let’s say the hunters used about 400 grain bullets and used only one bullet per buffalo. Let’s also
conjecture they used no more than 70 grains of powder per shot. We multiply 70,000,000 times
400 and come up with approximately 280,000,000 grains. This is about 4,000,000 pounds of
lead. Seventy grains of powder times 70,000,000 equals 700,000 pounds of powder. Of course
in the early days the vast majority of the material would be necessary and tapering off during the
sixty years of hunting. My contention is the majority died from disease rather than being killed by
gun shot.

Last edited by Ringman; 12/16/23. Reason: Paragraphs disappeared

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet mother of pearl..

#cutnpaste

Steve Reniella says cliffs killed the buffs…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BigDave39355,

What an assertion. I spent several hours looking up info and writing that.

I will accept your apology.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Anthrax?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
They were killed for their wings.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ringman, very interesting information sir, TY for sharing

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your math is wrong.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So is your appellation of the eastern mountain range

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No way that hunters red or white wiped out the bison. The introduction of Texas cattle into an already over populated and weakened herd of bison did it. It is called Texas Tick Fever and Anthrax. The bison herd would have naturally been about 50/50 male and female and at least half the females would have each produced a surviving calf thus supplementing the population by millions every year. Of course hunters did deliver the coup de grace to the survivors but it is not possible that bison were shot into near extinction.

By the way, European diseases are the main cause of mortality in the Native American Indians. Not U.S. Army bullets.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds about right to me. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I read a paper written by a female researcher who alleged that it was mathematically impossible for the bison herds to be decimated by hunting/shooting alone. Her thesis was that there was a biological agent that raced through the herds. I don't recall exactly what her best guess was.

It sounds plausible, Pfizer wasn't around with a vaccine to save the bison from theIr pandemic.

I should have saved that paper.

Last edited by AB2506; 12/16/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
No way that hunters red or white wiped out the bison. The introduction of Texas cattle into an already over populated and weakened herd of bison did it. It is called Texas Tick Fever and Anthrax. The bison herd would have naturally been about 50/50 male and female and at least half the females would have each produced a surviving calf thus supplementing the population by millions every year. Of course hunters did deliver the coup de grace to the survivors but it is not possible that bison were shot into near extinction.

By the way, European diseases are the main cause of mortality in the Native American Indians. Not U.S. Army bullets.

This is the most logical reason, I've ever read.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Hastings

This is the most logical reason, I've ever read.

#oh-snap

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Your math is wrong.

I thought it would be off. But like the first responder, you didn't help. In fact, while I wrote it I was hoping mathman might arrive and help.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's not math, it's simple arithmetic.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best estimates of how many were killed by market hunters was the number of hides delivered to the railroads for shipment east. Research has been done collecting the data of the hides shipped and it was found that hide hunters couldn't even come close to killing enough to even offset the calves born. That 30 million number is probably the northern herd. There was also the southern herd. I've seen estimates of 60 million total.
I read that market hunters killed an average of 200,000 per year. If half the 60 mill were cows and half of those produced a calf each year, that's 15 million new calves. Hunting couldn't even come close to killing them off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Alot can be learned from the migration and killing of Buffalo, and the similarity to any game animal that migrates for whatever reason. If you kill all the females unfettered, what did anyone expect to happen?

Generally, Buffalo north of 49th were hunted by Indians and Metis hunters, my grandfathers killed thousands of them, and were plains hunters who either were employed by or sold robes and meat to the Northwest Company and or the Hudson Bay Company.

Especially the Metis hunters were by far the largest hunting group on the plains north of the 49th. A hunter who hunts for his entire career, lets say 20-30 years kills several hundred a year, mostly the Cows because of the favored meat, as well the robes were better making them worth more.

In my view, because of the migratory nature of a Buffalo, hunters on both sides of the 49th played massive roles in killing, especially the females.

Lots of information in the Fur traders journals about Indians killing a pregnant Cow and only eating the unborn Calf, why lie lol.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The original estimates of how many Buffalo there were was likely way to high. I have never read anything pertaining to some sort of disease in any of the Fur trade journals I have read and have in my possession, so I doubt it, not saying it couldn't/didn't happen, I dont see any evidence from a primary source.

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Also, the hunting I am referring to included N Dakota, Montana, and part of Minnesota IIRC, as well as Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Manitoba.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
The original estimates of how many Buffalo there were was likely way to high. I have never read anything pertaining to some sort of disease in any of the Fur trade journals I have read and have in my possession, so I doubt it, not saying it couldn't/didn't happen, I dont see any evidence from a primary source.
Well now, if there were only 20 million they would still produce at least 5 million calves a year. If the white and red hunters killed as many as they could handle how would they exterminate the bison on such a large range as the American mid-west and west. The pictures of piles of bones and skulls at rail yards were collected for years and the causes of death could have easily been disease.

The demise of the bison coincides with the introduction of the wild Texas cattle being driven north in the last half of the 1800s. The Texas cattle were almost surely what is known as immune carriers of tick fever.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 30 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,492
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.