Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by tdoyka
Probably 1988 or '89. or was it a molybdenum disulfide bullet coating?

Might have been. All sorts of "new and magic" stuff has come and gone over the years....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Back in 2002 there was a thread on this subject to which I contributed (under an earlier login): https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/52175/re-cyro-barrels#Post52175

I am of the same view now as I was then.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Could be marketing on Benelli’s part but they do make a fine mass produced barrel whether it be a shotgun or rifle barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a rifle back in the 90's that I couldn't get to shoot. My rifle builder couldn't figure it either so he suggested we try that before rebarreling again. It had no perceptible effect. That rifle, in 338 Jamison, is the only rifle in which I found that different primers had any effect on accuracy. I had never used Remington primers but the minute I changed to the Remington's the rifle started shooting. Freezing was a waste of money.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by dave284
Didn't Melvin Forbes credit Cryoing as the reason most of his rifles would shoot so many loads to the same point of impact?

No! Melvin never claimed that, and I have known him since the late 1980s. He did once comment comment to me that cryo made some sense, since like heat-treating it tended to stress-relieve barrels. But he never used it.

Instead he believed the reasons his rifles shot so well were because Douglas used heat to stress-relieve their barrels (as do many button-rifle makers, including Dan Lilja), plus the full-length forend bedding of Melvin's very stiff stocks.

He also thoroughly tested everything he did to confirm his results.

Might also add that all the publicly published articles on cryo-treating I read back when it was all the rage based their conclusions on minor differences in group size, usually on too-few groups.

Have also talked personally with not just John Krieger but other barrel-makers, who concluded cryo made the most difference when done before machining barrels, or at least between certain stages. And yes, they had also done considerable testing.

I stand corrected. I knew that I remembered him saying something in an interview about his rifles shooting many different loads to the same point of impact due to stress relieving but he may very well have been talking about what Douglas does to their barrels. My memory isn't the greatest.

Kind of makes sense. My one Douglas barrel, although not supremely accurate, does shoot many loads to pretty much the same point of impact at 100 yards.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by tdoyka
Probably 1988 or '89. or was it a molybdenum disulfide bullet coating?

Might have been. All sorts of "new and magic" stuff has come and gone over the years....

i remember that i'd seen cyro and bullet coating in Petersen's Hunting and Shooting Times back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. my "new and magic" stuff is powder coating on cast bullets wink.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Back in 2002 there was a thread on this subject to which I contributed (under an earlier login): https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/52175/re-cyro-barrels#Post52175

I am of the same view now as I was then.

+1.... But how does one debate with "internet experts" that don't understand cryo as part of the heat treat cycle vs as a stand alone "stress relief"? Freaking amazing.... I've faced the same thing on this site (only!) re the loss in ductility of 400 series stainless at low temp...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had several rifles that were "walkers" when shot much. Cryo on the barreled actions settled them down. It may have been coincidence, I don't know, but they stopped "walking" their shots off when getting hot. A few were still "finicky" about bullet style/weights, but didn't walk. These rifles all had skinny barrels. I think skinny barrels are "of the Devil" anyhow, sent from Hell to torment me at the range"!!! lol They do aggravate me to no end. I've had a few skinny barrels made by Shilen, Lilja, Kriegar, and all were top notch. My track record with factory skinnies is dismal indeed, ha.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.