Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#19021357 12/17/23
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to ride quite a bit, about 10 years ago and it seemed to be a good way for me to get in better shape. After a visit to the doc the other day he informed me my blood pressure is edging up and started talking about medication. I'm not in favor of that at all and it seems getting back into a routine of riding would help with that. So I want to buy a new one. Most of my riding will be on graveled county roads. I'd like to find something in between the walmart stuff and the really high end. Any suggestions?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Since you are already comfortable on a bike this is a good deal other than used off Facebook Marketplace.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/x-ambition-dropbar?variant=43990529638628

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What’s your target dollar amount? Are you leaning towards a flat bar or drop bar bike? Buying locally or online?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/17/23.
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RHClark
Since you are already comfortable on a bike this is a good deal other than used off Facebook Marketplace.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/x-ambition-dropbar?variant=43990529638628

I like that one. Thanks

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd like to keep it under $600.00 if I can but that's not set in concrete. I think the flat bar would be better. That keeps a person from having to lean over so far, correct? I'd rather buy locally but have no issues with online.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I bought a Trek Marlin 5 about 4 years ago, and have been very happy with it. I've been riding Trek's for the last 20 years.

Last edited by bjc68; 12/17/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This place has pretty good value for mail order, if you know what size and what you want. Otherwise you might want to work with a local shop.

https://bikesdirect.com/

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Personally for the gravel where I'm at I want a 38mm tire at minimum and a 45mm tire is better. If you have a bike shop near you it would be good to go in and take a look at several models and sit on a few and if you can do a test ride.
How a bike feels depends heavily on body proportions. The internet can give you an idea of what bikes will fit you and be comfortable, but only getting out on one can tell if you it will work for you. I know it took me quite a few miles to figure out what worked for me in terms of fit.

If you don'y mind technology don't overlook stuff like Rouvy or Zwift. Riding Rouvy during the winter helped me with weight and I knocked 10+ minutes off my best time over 21.5ish miles on the first outdoor ride of the year.

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys. I've heard good things about the Trek bikes.

Last edited by Jim1611; 12/17/23.
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Personally for the gravel where I'm at I want a 38mm tire at minimum and a 45mm tire is better. If you have a bike shop near you it would be good to go in and take a look at several models and sit on a few and if you can do a test ride.
How a bike feels depends heavily on body proportions. The internet can give you an idea of what bikes will fit you and be comfortable, but only getting out on one can tell if you it will work for you. I know it took me quite a few miles to figure out what worked for me in terms of fit.

If you don'y mind technology don't overlook stuff like Rouvy or Zwift. Riding Rouvy during the winter helped me with weight and I knocked 10+ minutes off my best time over 21.5ish miles on the first outdoor ride of the year.
How many minutes did the 21.5 mile ride take? I have a bike shop about 50 miles away. I'll drop in there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I'd like to keep it under $600.00 if I can but that's not set in concrete. I think the flat bar would be better. That keeps a person from having to lean over so far, correct? I'd rather buy locally but have no issues with online.

A flat bar does not necessarily equate to more upright riding. I have ridden some flat bar bikes with very forward leaning ergos. I have several bikes. My flat bar touring bike puts me in a slightly more forward lean than my gravel bike.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You'll want some weight on your hands so that your butt doesn't have to support all of your weight. If you end up going with a flat bar, get some bar ends. They will allow different hand positions which will make for much greater comfort when you start stretching distances out. One of the nice things about drop bars is that they offer a multitude of hand positions. Most riders ride the hoods as shown here most of the time.

Working with a shop is probably the best move since you aren't real sure what you want. You'll probably want a seat with a generous relief channel down the middle. Once you start riding, give yourself time to get conditioned. Sit bone and hand/wrist fatigue can be more limiting than muscular or cardiovascular fatigue.

I think you'll enjoy it. Beyond being great exercise, it's a great mental escape.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't necessarily exclude drop bars, which can also be ridden from the bar itself, plus a number of other other positions. I ride a 20 year old Bianchi Volpe cross bike that is superb in most conditions, but I would go with 38mm at a minimum for your needs.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I think that the bike market is going to take a dive after the first of the year. It was overinflated during the Covid years and is thought to be on the brink of a major adjustment.

If you can wait until after Christmas new should start to be cheaper. There are also a couple of reputable mail order businesses that sell used bikes in good condition.

If you get dialed in on a couple of options you should be able to get a good deal. There should also be a good number of people getting rid of impulse buys during Covid.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get a gravel or cyclocross bike. Specialized, trek, felt, Jamis, giant, cervelo, whatever...

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I'd look hard at the fatter tire bikes. Makes riding on gravel much better imo. Definitely watch the used bikes on any number of online and social media sites as mentioned above.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jim…I’m not a biker and the closest thing I have to spandex are my UnderArmor thermal long Johns but my mountain bike is a Trek and it’s hauled me and dead critters without modifications….I wouldn’t be considered a biking enthusiast at all…..not since I was 12 or so anyway and that was 40 years ago.

Exercise is always a healthy pursuit and I applaud you for looking for alternatives to big Pharma through exercise. I can tell you that in my case I’ve always “burned hot”…in more ways than one but I never realized the marked impact that coffee and nicotine had on my BP. I’m a former firefighter/EMT so I’m not a stranger to basic medicine and I know the effects of untreated long-term hypertension having worked for the Northwest Kidney Foundation but I never realized how much I could control my BP simply by not having caffeine or nicotine.

I’m sitting here with a fresh dip in and a fresh 32oz Yeti full of dark roast…..I’m offsetting it by doing absolutely nothing except holding a recliner down with the dogs in front of the fire. To do anything that requires thought, emotion or physical exertion would be irresponsible….almost suicidal, so I’ll just be responsible for the rest of the day and do absolutely nothing. 😉

Good luck with your quest and I’m sure you’ll succeed. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for all the ideas, men. I'm learning things about bikes I never knew and glad to be doing so. I intend to go to the bike shop and have a look at what they have there and also start watching for something used. I did a little looking around and see some Treks and others. I'm pretty sure I can find something in the next month.

This blood pressure thing came up after seeing a doctor about what might have been a frozen shoulder or rotator cuff problem. Like always the nurse check my BP and it was running about 140/80. It's almost always high when I'm in a hospital room. I was having quite a bit of pain too and from what I hear that raises it. We've been checking it at home and it's been running lower but not at the 120/70 I'm used to. I hate the thought of not trying to lower this with exercise since everyone I know that has started taking BP medication never get away from it. I'm 62 and currently am not on anything and want to keep it that way.
The shoulder pain is going away and I'm in therapy. Don't have rotator cuff problems or a frozen shoulder. the doc thinks it's a strain of some sort.

As Paul mentioned bike riding is a great mental escape and without going into allot of details I could use some of that

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And make sure you are up to date on your medical and life insurance. A buddy had the same idea last year. After the car hit him (basically his fault) his out of pocket was +$14,000 and climbing as he's still going to rehab and now considering a hip replacement - largely due to the fact he's gained so much weight that a little issue is now a big issue. Of course rehab may be on the horizon as well as his pain meds are out and he's "self medicating" to control the pain.

Getting in shape is fun.... and expensive... and potentially life altering.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
And make sure you are up to date on your medical and life insurance. A buddy had the same idea last year. After the car hit him (basically his fault) his out of pocket was +$14,000 and climbing as he's still going to rehab and now considering a hip replacement - largely due to the fact he's gained so much weight that a little issue is now a big issue. Of course rehab may be on the horizon as well as his pain meds are out and he's "self medicating" to control the pain.

You must be a lot of fun at a party. 👍

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

You must be a lot of fun at a party. 👍

I'm really not. I sit quietly in the corner drinking all their alcohol. Fug people.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.