Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever cast bullets from silver? Worked for the Lone Ranger and might be good on werewolves.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lead is around 8% heavier than silver.

So a 405 grain slug by mold volume would weigh around 372 grains cast of silver.

Google says silver is going for $24 per ounce "today".

372 grains equals .850286 ounces.

So every bullet would cost around $20.40

Probably still a good deal if the vampires show up.

And no, I've never cast any silver bullets.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
He wouldn’t know, he’s just posing that he does know.

Those that mess with concocting your own alloy, how do you test the hardness?

Reason I'm asking:
I'm no expert bullet caster by any measure

Last edited by anothergun; 12/17/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I sold a guy a perfectly good RCBS .45 230 RN mold and he turned around and tried to cast silver bullets to make necklaces. In the process of casting at 1700+ degrees he warped the mold blocks. So no, I wouldn't recommend it. Better off turning silver bullets in a lathe, if one should go forward with such an idea. (I originally typed "hairbrained idea" but thought better of it.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cost prohibitive, 1000ish degrees hotter than normal lead casting temps, warps molds, and a BHN of 24.5...2.5 points higher than straight linotype.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't use silver, so how did I do this?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The right temperature while casting, great job !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are some purrdy boolets! What gave them the bronze or brass color?

Last edited by Rolly; 12/17/23.

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those sure are pretty.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Beats my although I’d guess it has lots to do with temp and alloy.

You make some excellent cast bullets!

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Cost prohibitive, 1000ish degrees hotter than normal lead casting temps, warps molds, and a BHN of 24.5...2.5 points higher than straight linotype.

Depending on the bullet design high temp is at your advantage. Problem arises when tin drosses off and fill in decreases. Solution.... Boric acid. SO WHAT?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Guessing you started by using a simple tin/lead alloy, hit the perfect temperature, and utilized nicely machined molds. (Not to mention years of experience, and employment of sound casting protocols.)

That or Photoshop! grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When I used to cast with tertiary alloys resulting from late night skullduggery and alchemy involving unknown scrap/type metal/suspect lead I adopted the expedient of simply running the pot temperature wide open. Good fillout was the primary goal and if they started coming out frosty so be it (frostiness has no impact on utility). Life was good, results on paper satisfactory, and bullet appearance suffered as often as not.

Trouble was that when I stumbled onto a good mix I couldn't exactly duplicate it next time around. Not to mention mysterious bouts of leading or unexplainable drop offs in accuracy. Time spent at the casting bench was viewed as a means to an end. With a little age came a modicum of wisdom and an abiding interest in the whys, wherefores, and how-tos of the art&science of cast bullets. That's when I started actually listening to the old sages of the then new Cast Bullet Association (I was an early member) and got my butt back to the basics and mastered them before taking back off down the experimental rabbit holes.

What's all that got to do with silver bullets? Nothing at all! (Except maybe researching a little bit about the basic metallurgy involved beforehand, something my guy with the silver bullet necklaces didn't do and learned a lesson the hard way.) Walking before running is sage advice here as well as in most things in life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rolly
Those are some purrdy boolets! What gave them the bronze or brass color?

Pick one:
A) lube
B) lighting
C) gaschecks

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno how to shop for photos.

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I have made bullets with silver already in some type of alloy.

Silver is supposedly like tin in that it makes the alloy flow and fill better and when combined with tin, antimony and lead, allows for higher heat treating levels but to what ratios I have no idea.

I had got a bunch of the old "foil" bites you used to bite down on for x-rays at the dentist office; also the cups they were dropped into. Those supposedly had some silver in the alloy. A bullet made of this alloy tested 15 but it wasn't as shiny as lino.

With just a few of the foils added to the alloy (wheelweight metal), I got past 30 BHN on heat treated bullets dropped from the mold, where before they would only hit 21-22 or 28 if I oven treated them.

I eventually mixed all I had throughout my main alloy of wheelweights and it seems a little has gone a long ways.
There evidently is enough trace over the years I still have 28-31 BHN registering throughout my alloy after all these years when I heat treat from the mold.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Doesn't work as described for the Lone Ranger. The Lone Ranger had no access to the necessary temperatures. There was a long ago article on the subject in Gun World when westerns were popular and the magazine had a lot of west coast connection. There are later articles and discussion on various boards. Bottom line has to be done as jewelry typically lost wax but sacrificing a mold to the cause leaving the sprue plate off and heating well beyond lead alloys and much else will do for a demonstration of concept.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.