Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19022426 12/17/23
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've been carrying my Shield in an owb leather holster. It appears to me, in the mirror, that the iwb holster doesn't offer any more concealability than the owb holster. I am wanting to start carrying my P365 and need to decide on a holster.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have quite a few of both and tend to prefer OWB for most uses. I don't mind IWB for smaller and single stack pistols - that's what I use for a Shield and 1911 Commander. I've moved to OWB for most anything in a a double stack (compact or full size) pistol.

I agree with you on the concealment aspect and find OWB to be more comfortable for me. Your P365 is small enough that concealment shouldn't be an issue with any decent holster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like exposing the holster when lifting my arms while wearing a vest or shorty carhartt coat. Give me iwb except on the ranch....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The answer is both..... I tried to just do one or the other but I just can't . Summer time with just a tshirt I need iwb.... this time of year when wearing a coat or flannel owb is good..... I actually prefer owb (at least with the holsters I have tried). I just got a crossbreed owb holster that is a leather back with a kydex front.... super comfortable, rides high, and keeps the butt tucked in. I also have a hidden hybrid which is the same style for a different model....I'm using these for glocks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't like exposing the holster when lifting my arms while wearing a vest or shorty carhartt coat. Give me iwb except on the ranch....

This is how it works.

IWB hides the muzzle/bottom of the holster if the cover lifts.

OWB hides just as well if the cover is long enough to hide the muzzle/bottom of the holster or if one does not care.

Odds are good that if someone recognizes the bottom of your holster they will also see the printing.

Depends on location. In Wyoming it's of zero concern and open carry hardly get any notice.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
IWB kydex either appendix or strong side hip. most people will recognize the muzzle of a gun and a holster OWB, most people will not recognize the slight bulge at your hip. P365/good (thin) IWB kydex. The appendix carry is better IMO.

Campfire Member
Online Sleepy
Campfire Member
Another vote for IWB appendix carry which is what I use on my G48/43X and K6S. But definitely agree OWB is better when concealment is possible.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MHWASH
I've been carrying my Shield in an owb leather holster. It appears to me, in the mirror, that the iwb holster doesn't offer any more concealability than the owb holster. I am wanting to start carrying my P365 and need to decide on a holster.
That's very unlikely, unless you have the wrong IWB holster for your gun and/or body type, or are not wearing it in the right position on your belt.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OWB or IWB, appendix carry or strong side, I have found the holster matters a lot. It also helps to try and get your gun out of the holster where you carry it before you actually need to get it out of the holster.
"are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie".

M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I see that iwb holsters come as small holster with a single clip or a large leather backing with 2 clips. Which type is prefered for a small pistol?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate clips....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have both for most guns. Depends on time of year, what I am wearing, etc

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
OWB or IWB, appendix carry or strong side, I have found the holster matters a lot. It also helps to try and get your gun out of the holster where you carry it before you actually need to get it out of the holster.
"are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie".
Outlaw Josey Wales.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I see that iwb holsters come as small holster with a single clip or a large leather backing with 2 clips. Which type is prefered for a small pistol?
The best design is the El Paso Saddlery C-Force.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
After a lot of use and different holsters, I've given up on IWB. It does have the pro of not exposing the barrel/lower holster but, for me, I'm so much more comfortable with OWB that I've stopped wearing IWB. I think an individual's build can really affect the comfort of IWB vs OWB.

I'm not offering an argument against IWB, I just prefer OWB for the comfort, even with smaller P365 sized guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For a pistol as small as the P365, I don't bother with IWB. Like you, I don't see any advantage to IWB with such a short pistol. I find it more important to go IWB with a 1911 or HiPower. Even with something as small as a 365xl, I want my IWB holster to have belt loops fore and aft. No clips please.

It's easy to conceal a Shield or 365 OWB if your shirts aren't to short or your gut ain't too long. As usual with IWB or OWB, clothing choices make all the difference. My preferred holsters for that size pistol...DeSantis Mini Slide, Galco Combat Master, DeSantis Criss Cross.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
getting older and fatter has taken away the option for IWB carry. Position of the holster is now critical for me due to reduced shoulder mobility. I am currently using strong side OWB leather or Kydex

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1-Milt Sparks

2-Versa Max II

Look no further.

LHS

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
For IWB carry I really like Muddy River Tactical’s Comfort Carry holster.

It’s not terribly expensive and I would recommend giving it a try before giving up on IWB carry.

IWB is never going to be as easy as OWB, but I think the Comfort Carry significantly narrows the difference.

YMMV

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree that there's not a lot of difference in concealment between IWB and OWB on that size pistol and in the right holster. My most used holster for the P365 is the Bianchi Assent 126 - OWB. The Assent rides high and is surprisingly small and light. The holster is leather, but it has a synthetic doohickey (technical term) that provides 'click' retention on the trigger guard similar to Kydex.

Some nice holsters mentioned on this thread, especially the Milt Sparks stuff, if you were looking to carry a larger, heavier pistol. The P365 doesn't need all that beef.

I also carry the Assent holster empty when wearing a pack and forget it's there. When I remove the pack, along whichever holster and the pistol with it, I just re-holster in the Assent. That avoids all the drama over how to carry with a pack.

The photo makes the holster look a lot bigger than it is: Bianchi Assent

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.