Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I got what I thought was a very nice 1893 Spanish Mauser in a trade.

After I got it home and examined it, the condition was so good I became suspicious - the wood was so perfect, the bluing on the metal was so dark it couldn't be more than 100 years old. Finally, the crest on the top of the receiver was partially smoothed over, as if someone had polished it before applying a reblue job - although I can sort of make our "Oviedo" and "Fabrica Armas".

Take a look at the pictures - am I right? Is this just a good restoration? Serial numbers on various parts do not match.

Now my important question - if this is a nicely done restoration, what is it worth? Did I end up with something good for my trade?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Most emphatically a restoration. Heavy handed metal polishing. Worth? I'll let someone else address that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice rifle. Spanish 93s are not highly sought after. What did you trade ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought one in 1969 for 34.95 you got focked just like I did .mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It's a cool rifle, and in decent shape. As mentioned above, 93 Mausers are not sought after at all. I would enjoy it for what it is, but I wouldn't sink a penny into "restoring" it.

It is as original now as it can ever be.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As far as what it's worth, I'd say maybe $200-$250 for the right buyer, and nothing you do will increase that

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it were mine, I would build the perfect "knockabout" rifle. For us that use tools every day, many of us have top quality tools Like Snap-On or Colt prewar 1911's as examples. However, there is a need for a tougher than steel, ugly gun of marginal value. One you can throw in the bottom of a canoe, tie to a snow machine, use as a paddle etc. This would be a prime candidate. If it were mine, I would cut the barrel to 18" cut down the stock and reset the sight. Now if it has to be left behind or lost overboard it is no great loss. Mine is a poorly sporterized 1903. No gun case necessary. Have an over the shoulder bag with 40 rounds of various ammo. When I travel on long trips over state borders, I carry an 18" barreled H&R 20-gauge single shot gun I paid &50 for and a SCCY 9mm. If either one I had to abandon, it is not going to financially hurt me and neither have sentimental value.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How’s the bore?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Perhaps clarification of an overly broad statement. Such amended, that the Spanish MANUFACTURED mausers are generally not highly regarded. Of contrast, the Spanish 1893 Mausers of German Manufacture are well regarded within their genre. Appreciated for quality of contemporary materials & workmanship. Condition permitting, entirely adequate for the purpose of its era intended and pressure levels particularly respected.

My take!
Best!
John

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Bore is excellent.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by iskra
Perhaps clarification of an overly broad statement. Such amended, that the Spanish MANUFACTURED mausers are generally not highly regarded. Of contrast, the Spanish 1893 Mausers of German Manufacture are well regarded within their genre. Appreciated for quality of contemporary materials & workmanship. Condition permitting, entirely adequate for the purpose of its era intended and pressure levels particularly respected.

My take!
Best!
John

The OP's rifle IS Spanish MANUFACTURED! I think we all had that figured out.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i spent $70 for a sporter '16 Spanish Mauser in 7x57. i had my gunsmith bent the bolt handle, D&T for scope mounts, Beuhler safety and a Timney trigger. i took the stock off ad i bought a Richards Wolverine stock (Apache Gold laminate). after sanding and four coats of Minwax Antique Oil and then two coats of polyurethane oil mixed with mineral spirits (3:1) it was done. since the barrel was trashed, a 24" Numrich sporter barrel in 6.5x55 was put on. then a Vortex 3-9x was next.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i reloaded some 120gr Nosler BT and IMR4350 that i guesstimate 2600-2700fps, a middle of the road load. it will go 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). my youngest son now has 6.5 Swede and it kills deer.

i know that if i sell the Swede, it won't be enough to cover the cost that i spent. i say so what. my youngest son loves it, so i did good.

Last edited by tdoyka; 12/11/23.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
From what I've been able to discover from historical firearm sites, this is an arsenal refurbished (probably in the 1930s) second model 1893 Mauser, originally made in Oviedo, Spain.

Mine apparently got a new barrel along with new wood. The crown in the arsenal stamping on top of the receiver was scrubbed before getting reblued, apparently on the orders of the political party of the time that had taken power from the monarchy. The receiver also got a new serial number.

It's very likely that the guy who started Interarms bought a couple thousand and sold them in the US back in the 50's-60's.

I have seen 1893's for sale online for $250-600, depending on condition, but I haven't seen anything offered that's exactly like mine.

Last edited by czech1022; 12/12/23.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's reblued, which hurts the value. But it hasn't been altered much beyond that and someone took the time to find the right wood.

It's worth what someone would give you for it, but with an excellent bore, I'd shoot it. US ammo makers load the 7x57 pretty light in deference to rifles like this one, but those loads still push a 140-grain bullet at 2,660 fps which is about all that the 6.5 Creedmoor will do in a short barrel.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm relying on memory here, take it for what it's worth.
I read an old lengthy piece on Gunboards some years back, it started with questions about the strength of Oviedo and La Coruna '93's for sporterizing. The big player in importations of these rifles was Interarmco, and some gun writers of the 60's and 70's were trash talking these rifles in print. Importers got mad, hired an independent American laboratory to test the Spanish 93's to destruction...carefully recording the increasing proof loads, and publishing the results. I can't recall all the other firearms used for comparison testing...but it was clearly discovered there was absolutely and positively no problems with Spanish steel and the hardening process. It was very embarrassing that a couple of high number Springfield 03's gave up the ghost and set back to the safety lug, when the 93's were still going even though the bolts had to be hammered open. I think the 93's went above 100,000 psi before they burst. Great shades of PO Ackley and the Arisaka tale. LOL.
But alas, the gunwriters/publishers never bugled their corrections loud enough for the public to hear...and the myth of the weakness of the Spanish 93's persists today in loading manual snide remarks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Enjoy it for what it is… a very nice restoration. I would not sporterized it. Mausers are NOT getting cheaper. You have a nice looking milsurp with a good bore. Keep it as is and shoot it and enjoy it. SR Mausers can be nice dependable shooters and even collectible.

Shoot Safe,
Mike
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
super cool 93 mauser!!!!!! i'd keep just like it is and shoot the h#ll out of i, id be proud of it and keep it

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a 1916 Spanish carbine s/n OT-505xx, that was re-arsenaled and converted to 7.62 NATO. No crest left on the barrel, but nicely reblued. Floor plate is mismatched, and has a transverse release that I have not seen elsewhere. Stock has 1 repair, not otherwise worked on. Minor scratches and a couple dents, I would say medium used.
I adapted a picatinny base rail on the existing sight base, put on a 2-5x long eye relief scope. Considering that Spanish loading of 7.62 is said to be lower than NATO standard (and age) I will load some lighter rounds for range time. Don't need it for hunting, I have a couple early 30 cal 1899 Savages for that.
Project in work is 1909 Arg carbine that got bubbaed. Numbers match, but front sight is cut off and stock chopped. A shame, it was nice condition.
Merry Christmas to all out there.

I don't have too many guns, I just need a bigger safe.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If the barrel condition supports it, make it into a cast projie "Scout" rifle and shoot it a LOT for practice.
Heck work up an upper level cast load and take a animal or three.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think they make a no drill weaver mount for the rear sight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 22 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,146
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.