Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got a potential bead on an old school 1894 that is beat up, in need of love and right up my alley. Problem is, I want to run a peep sight like either the Lyman 66A or Williams 5D, and I'm pretty sure the receiver is not drilled and tapped to accept one. Anyone ever done this on an old '94? What was the approximate cost? How sacrilegious is it to do this to a pre '64? Pictures of the receiver below. Thanks in advance for any input!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I *probably* wouldn’t do it myself. If you are just looking for a little help shooting the gun more accurately, I would use the turnbull red dot mount. It isn’t traditional like a peep, but it’s probably faster and more accurate. In addition, it doesn’t require any modifications to the gun. Although I don’t personally have one, it is on my list if my eyes get to the point the traditional sights don’t work.

On the other hand, based on what the photo shows for condition and stock fit, it’s not like you are drilling into a pristine gun. If you really want a peep, maybe it’s worth it.

Turnbull Dot Mount

Last edited by K1500; 11/29/23.
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by K1500
I *probably* wouldn’t do it myself. If you are just looking for a little help shooting the gun more accurately, I would use the turnbull red dot mount. It isn’t traditional like a peep, but it’s probably faster and more accurate. In addition, it doesn’t require any modifications to the gun. Although I don’t personally have one, it is on my list if my eyes get to the point the traditional sights don’t work.

Turnbull Dot Mount

That's a good looking option. Kinda want to keep this one true to the technology available at the date of its manufacture, though, so I think a peep is the move. Turns out there are a few smiths near where I'm stationed, so I'll probably have one of them do it.

As it turns out, the furniture is cracked and looks like hell... so gonna be a bit of a project. Should be fun, though!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Normally I would say don’t mess with the originality, but it looks like there isn’t any collectibility left in the old girl. Perfect candidate for improvements. A proper D&T for a receiver sight isn’t going to hurt, much worse has been done to nicer specimens.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tmitch
Perfect candidate for improvements.

Yep, that's what I was thinking... apparently it may not be available after all.

If anyone has a similar condition .30-30 laying around they want to turn into cash, shoot me a PM!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That is not a collector's piece. It is a hunging gun. The sights run about $100 and gunsmithing, I have no idea. But do it!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by K1500

On the other hand, based on what the photo shows for condition and stock fit, it’s not like you are drilling into a pristine gun. If you really want a peep, maybe it’s worth it.

Turnbull Dot Mount

That is what I did to my 94. MUCH faster and more accurate at all ranges - 25-150.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you considered a tang sight?

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by deltakid
Have you considered a tang sight?

Looked at those. Good option for sure, but receiver mounted peeps seem a little more streamlined and robust.

Originally Posted by WStrayer
But do it!

Wish I coul, evidently this is no longer for sale. So I'm in the olde market again

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I almost posted the exact same question over the last couple days. I’ve got a prewar 32WS. Heading my way that I was considering cutting to 16” barrel and mounting a reciever peep but now reconsidering as it’s in pretty decent shape. May just have to find a more recent version in worse shape. Or chop the barrel on my model 64 which has already had the receiver drilled for a side mount scope.

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by OXN939
Got a potential bead on an old school 1894 that is beat up, in need of love and right up my alley. Problem is, I want to run a peep sight like either the Lyman 66A or Williams 5D, and I'm pretty sure the receiver is not drilled and tapped to accept one. Anyone ever done this on an old '94? What was the approximate cost? How sacrilegious is it to do this to a pre '64? Pictures of the receiver below. Thanks in advance for any input!

I've got 2 94s, both in 32WSP. My grandfather's is from 1907 and has a Lyman tang sight. My project gun is from '67 and has a Williams FP receiver sight, a FireEye fiber optic front, and (blasphemy) a scout rail.

Some thoughts and opinions.

First, I view receiver sights to be period correct. To be $uper period correct, $eek out a vintage Lyman. I believe (you should confirm this) that the old Lymans and current Williams use the same hole pattern. If I'm correct (and I'm often not) that would allow you to toss a Williams in there now till you (or the next owner) finds a period correct Lyman.

I find the Lyman tang sight to far superior to the Williams in terms of visual acuity. Getting the aperture (aka peep) closer to the eye makes a huge difference, particularly out at 200 yds.

My tang sight has no windage adjustment and it took careful work and some beer (sorry Gramps) can shims to get it perfectly(ish) vertical. Prior to that, it would move to one side increasingly when adjusted higher since it was out of plum. In contrast, the FP has click adjustments for both elevation and windage. I have a 5D on an air gun and I think the FP is well worth the additional cost.

My grandfather never flipped his express sight and just used the short zero for 50-100 yds. Where we hunt in Vermont, 50 yds is a long shot. He also never used the tang sight. He was a hunter, not a shooter, and the tang sight would get busted while tracking in the tight woods if left up. And left down, it would just be an unneeded complexity for quick shots. I settled on setting my tang sight for a longer 140 yd zero. I figured if I needed to make a long shot, I would have the time to flip it up.

My eyes have been getting worse and I like shooting at the range as well as hunting. I got a tall front sight which allows me to get a sight picture above the scout rail I've added. I'm going to move to see through rings so I can duplicate the high/low approach; peeps zeroed for 100 for quick and close and a 150 ud zero on the scope for long shots.

Sorry for the length and hope something here is helpful. All this to say, I prefer the Lyman tang sight at the range, particularly when shooting lead, and I strongly prefer the FP/FireEye combo for tracking.

Last edited by Pinnah; 12/01/23.
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pinnah

I've got 2 94s, both in 32WSP. My grandfather's is from 1907 and has a Lyman tang sight. My project gun is from '67 and has a Williams FP receiver sight, a FireEye fiber optic front, and (blasphemy) a scout rail.

Some thoughts and opinions.

First, I view receiver sights to be period correct. To be $uper period correct, $eek out a vintage Lyman. I believe (you should confirm this) that the old Lymans and current Williams use the same hole pattern. If I'm correct (and I'm often not) that would allow you to toss a Williams in there now till you (or the next owner) finds a period correct Lyman.

I find the Lyman tang sight to far superior to the Williams in terms of visual acuity. Getting the aperture (aka peep) closer to the eye makes a huge difference, particularly out at 200 yds.

My tang sight has no windage adjustment and it took careful work and some beer (sorry Gramps) can shims to get it perfectly(ish) vertical. Prior to that, it would move to one side increasingly when adjusted higher since it was out of plum. In contrast, the FP has click adjustments for both elevation and windage. I have a 5D on an air gun and I think the FP is well worth the additional cost.

My grandfather never flipped his express sight and just used the short zero for 50-100 yds. Where we hunt in Vermont, 50 yds is a long shot. He also never used the tang sight. He was a hunter, not a shooter, and the tang sight would get busted while tracking in the tight woods if left up. And left down, it would just be an unneeded complexity for quick shots. I settled on setting my tang sight for a longer 140 yd zero. I figured if I needed to make a long shot, I would have the time to flip it up.

My eyes have been getting worse and I like shooting at the range as well as hunting. I got a tall front sight which allows me to get a sight picture above the scout rail I've added. I'm going to move to see through rings so I can duplicate the high/low approach; peeps zeroed for 100 for quick and close and a 150 ud zero on the scope for long shots.

Sorry for the length and hope something here is helpful. All this to say, I prefer the Lyman tang sight at the range, particularly when shooting lead, and I strongly prefer the FP/FireEye combo for tracking.

All excellent observations! I thought the same thing about the Lyman vs Williams- a few more bucks for the Lyman, but totally worth it to match the vintage style of a '94, especially if I end up finding one that's pre-64. Seems like the supply has really dried up lately

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There’s a lot of 94s out there, but the supply of reasonably priced working guns has dwindled …..everyone thinks theirs is a collectable specimen. Kinda like that with Marlin 336s too.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yea
everyone thinks theirs is a collectable specimen. Kinda like that with Marlin 336s too.

Yeah they do. Gunbroker has remlins listed for almost a thousand bucks right now... I picked one up for like $275 not that long ago. For some reason lever guns are just wild right now

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Turnbull red dot mounts are excellent and they are offered in two types of red dot foot print.
However attachment is via the two holes one would otherwise drill and tap for a receiver mounted peep sight.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjac
Turnbull red dot mounts are excellent and they are offered in two types of red dot foot print.
However attachment is via the two holes one would otherwise drill and tap for a receiver mounted peep sight.

This is not entirely correct. There are two red dot mounts offered by turnbull. One of them uses the peep holes and the other uses the dovetail slot of the rear sight. The dovetail version puts the dot farther forward (obviously) and requires no drilling.

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got another one for the lever gurus. Have an opportunity to come into ownership of a pretty cool looking Marlin 1893. Stock blade sights would be limiting for hunting use- are there tang mounted peeps I could install without having to drill and tap anything?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got another one for the lever gurus. Have an opportunity to come into ownership of a pretty cool looking Marlin 1893. Stock blade sights would be limiting for hunting use- are there tang mounted peeps I could install without having to drill and tap anything?

Yes, a Lyman # 1 or 2 tang sight with the letter code "J" (for .32-40 & .38-55) or "JA" stamp on the bottom. Also the Marbles M4 (for .32-40 & .38-55) or M5 marked tang sights. A bit hard to find at times but they show up on ebay now and then like this one. Lyman
Also Marbles offers modern made tang sights that will fit

This is my 1893 .32-40 with a Lyman #1 "J" marked sight

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by tmitch; 12/18/23. Reason: pics added

Charter Member

szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
i put a Williams FP aperture sight on my 35/30-30 (JES REBORING) in a 1972 Winchester m94 when my eyes.... i mean the deer got blurry whistle.

100 yards sighting it in
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i have prescription glasses and that lets me see over 25 yards grin. dang nearsightedness!!!

i love the Lyman, Redfield and Williams aperture sights. i was in the Army ('91 - '97) when i was introduced to the aperture sight. i fell in love with m16a2. then i forgot about them for 20ish years..

now i use them on custom military sporters

1944 '98 Mauser in 8x57

1903 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag

early war Type 99 Arisaka in 30-06
[img]https://i.imgur.com/U3EDdTV.jpg?1[/img]

i also have a Lyman aprture sight on my 1891 Argentine Mauser in 7.65x53.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Yes, a Lyman # 1 or 2 tang sight with the letter code "J" (for .32-40 & .38-55) or "JA" stamp on the bottom. Also the Marbles M4 (for .32-40 & .38-55) or M5 marked tang sights. A bit hard to find at times but they show up on ebay now and then like this one. Lyman
Also Marbles offers modern made tang sights that will fit

This is my 1893 .32-40 with a Lyman #1 "J" marked sight

That's a beautiful rifle! Thinking I'll probably go with the Marble sight for now... are you able to cycle the bolt fully with the peep in its upward position?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,223 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.