Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the support. I am all in!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’d lend you my rifle, but the bolt is on the port side. That would get you killed for sure.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
rifle came in, waiting on a Leupold 3.5-10x50mm gloss black scope I ordered. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sharp.

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by colorado
rifle came in, waiting on a Leupold 3.5-10x50mm gloss black scope I ordered. smile

gloss rifle. gloss scope. nothing should miss that dang mirror shining in the light. Not sure the reason folks desire to give themselves away. Often while wearing useless camo.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by rost495
corelokts have been known to jacket core separate over the years. FWIW.

Just gonna say that Big Green makes the "Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded" bullet nowadays. Don't think it will exhibit core/jacket separations. I'm sitting on a pile of .30 cal / 180 gr bullets. Have not tried any yet in my .30-06. In 7mm they make a 140 gr. bonded bullet which IMHO is on the light side of things.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010518699?pid=695844
probably correct. I've not shot factory in years so no clue. but bonded has to be better than the old ones. that said with the advent of Barnes and other mono bullets I'm not sure why mono would not be the choice. I"ve yet to see a bad result from mono. the reverse is not able to be said.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I don't wear camo. Watch the wind, hunt slowly and quietly, everything else will work itself out.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That’s a nice rifle!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
corelokts have been known to jacket core separate over the years. FWIW.

Just gonna say that Big Green makes the "Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded" bullet nowadays. Don't think it will exhibit core/jacket separations. I'm sitting on a pile of .30 cal / 180 gr bullets. Have not tried any yet in my .30-06. In 7mm they make a 140 gr. bonded bullet which IMHO is on the light side of things.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010518699?pid=695844
Without a serious runner-up, the core-lokt bullets I have run over the Juenke have proved to be the least concentric of all and by a HUGE margin. I have also shot a number of critters with them and would never consider them for anything beyond plinking.

i would agree 100 % about Core - Lokts when i was working at a wild game processing plant at Gillete ,Wyoming that took care of 700 -750 animals a year i seen how bad Core-Lokts worked on wild game animals and i would not wanna face a big bear with them in my rifle.

Last edited by pete53; 12/17/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Old__School
Don't overlook the Federal Terminal Ascent. The 7mm Rem Mag offering from Federal Premium only comes in 155 gr however.

Yup, fantastic bullet !

The Federal TA ammo has saved me a ton of time by not having to reload ammo for my Rem 700 BDL rifles in 7mm Rem, 300 Win, 308 Win & the kids Tikka T3 Lite rifles in 300 WSM, got a bunch of ammo and the whole fam damily is set up for moose for a while, and anything else out here if the need arises, 10 boxes of good hunting ammo on hand is my requirement and I have way more than that with other factory ammo and reloads

I've loaded the 30 cal 175 gr and 200 gr Terminal Ascent bullets in my 300 RUM & stuck them into moose at screaming velocities, bullets held up and wiped the moose outta their tracks

Prefer a fast 30 cal but wouldn't hesitate to plug a brownie with the 7mm Rem and 155 gr TA bullets if it's all I had on me

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Nice looking do it all rifle

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't wear camo. Watch the wind, hunt slowly and quietly, everything else will work itself out.
Watch that glare and you will be fine. Thats a pretty rifle. Just be aware.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Nice looking do it all rifle

Nice flammable firewood when you get lost and cold, save a piece to signal passing aircraft

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I once hunted with a man toting a 700 BDL. You could see the reflections from it several hundred yards away. I'm sure the deer could, too.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have hunted with the for over 60 years. Excellent success! Shoot hunt enjoy.

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Really nice rifle!

Watched a fellow stalk and shoot a beautiful interior grizzly with a 7mm Rem Mag, 140 gr Barnes. One shot, bear ran only a few yards after the shot then collapsed. Very quick kill. I was impressed.

So impressed that I've loaded up a bunch of 140 gr Barnes TTSX's for my own 7mm Rem Mag. Just need to try them out on something other than targets.

Biggest game I took with my own 7mm Rem Mag was a nice size bull elk. A single 175 gr Nosler Partition penetrated from one side to the other, taking the bull down in just a few steps. Bullet exited.

There's a lot of great 7mm hunting bullets.

Regards, Guy

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Cascade
Really nice rifle!

Watched a fellow stalk and shoot a beautiful interior grizzly with a 7mm Rem Mag, 140 gr Barnes. One shot, bear ran only a few yards after the shot then collapsed. Very quick kill. I was impressed.

So impressed that I've loaded up a bunch of 140 gr Barnes TTSX's for my own 7mm Rem Mag. Just need to try them out on something other than targets.

Biggest game I took with my own 7mm Rem Mag was a nice size bull elk. A single 175 gr Nosler Partition penetrated from one side to the other, taking the bull down in just a few steps. Bullet exited.

Regards, Guy

A 140 gr Corelokt from my 260 did the same thing. SURPRISE! And not a single step....

OK- I totally destroyed her spine just behind the head at @150 yards...... and the recoil was mild enough I could see her flop! smile

I took the same rifle/load moose hunting (without getting a shot) this year with total confidence. Although I admit, that gallon of cranberry bear poop in the trail, that hadn't been there the day before, made me miss a step.

That's what a 250 gr. .338WM or bigger is for.

Rem 725SA .260, from where I called the bull.

The only moose I saw - too big/too little for legal.

i haven't decided on my rifles for next season yet. 7X57 W70fwt, the .260, Ruger 77 in .338 (took that caribou hunting this year - so maybe not), or the '98 in 30-06.

Decisions, decisions.... depends on what's shooting and my feelers at the time.

Last edited by las; 12/18/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Cascade
Really nice rifle!

Regards, Guy

A 140 gr Corelokt from my 260 did the same thing. SURPRISE! And not a single step....

OK- I totally destroyed her spine just behind the head at @150 yards...... and the recoil was mild enough I could see her flop! smile

I took the same rifle/load moose hunting (without getting a shot) this year with total confidence. Although I admit, that gallon of cranberry bear poop in the trail, that hadn't been there the day before, made me miss a step.

That's what a 250 gr. .338WM or bigger is for.

Rem 725SA .260, from where I called the bull.

The only moose I saw - too big/too little for legal.

i haven't decided on my rifles for next season yet. 7X57 W70fwt, the .260, Ruger 77 in .338 (took that caribou hunting this year - so maybe not), or the '98 in 30-06.

Decisions, decisions.... depends on what's shooting and my feelers at the time.

Nice old Kelty!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot them right in the pump-station.

Most of all, have fun while hunting in the wilds of your choice.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Watch that glare and you will be fine. Thats a pretty rifle. Just be aware.

Some alder swimming will take the gloss off the stock and blueing smirk

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (16gage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,858
Posts18,497,114
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.