Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whoopsie Daisy

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/hollywood-cemetery-buck-poaching-investigation/

Any chance city hunting is legal there and he was just lying about the location or is this 100% poached?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Roundoaks kin folk?

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
From the looks of it, he's in a little hot water. But, innocent until proven guilty. Seems like he has a few suspect bucks that happened to be photographed in that same cemetery.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Whoopsie Daisy

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/hollywood-cemetery-buck-poaching-investigation/

Any chance city hunting is legal there and he was just lying about the location or is this 100% poached?

From the article;

"While there are carefully regulated urban bow seasons in Richmond, no hunting is allowed in Hollywood Cemetery and certain surrounding properties."

Photos with "hunter" and deer in question look to have a muzzleloader in them, so kind of doubtful it was an urban hunt. Not familiar with Richmond of course.

...do believe this moron is about to find out.

Last edited by hillestadj; 12/18/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeebus, if the first one isn't proof enough, that 8pt "trophy" pict alongside the photographers picts surely screams culpability.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes! Individual antlers are unique enough that gunning and posting pics of a buck of even local fame can pretty well amount to suicide. Antler patterns are essentially fingerprints.
Nothing special about this buck, but one could look at details and make a definitive identification were he in the bed of a pickup 100 miles away. No two are alike.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The "look at me" of social media pretty much amounts to arranging one's own hanging. Especially so when lots of bunny huggers frequent the same sites. Taking that animal just outside of its protected realm is fine and possible, but claiming a 60-mile move for a whitetail is a bit of a stretch. Take a trophy like that, and one better be quiet about it for a generation or so.

A coworker once gave expert testimony where the perp claimed to have taken a trophy buck well out in our sagebrush desert country despite being apprehended immediately adjacent to a local refuge. Forages found in its esophagus though were marsh species and easily ID by even a hobby botanist.

Despite his claims, that guy is toast, and it's neat that he hung himself. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/18/23.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Probably the most photographed deer in Va. guy is definitely toast.

Supposedly the guy had posted his "jogging" route earlier in the year on FB and it took him right by the cemetery.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/media/press-release/suspects-identified-in-hollywood-buck-case-in-richmond/

Last edited by SquibLoadMatch; 12/19/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for grins, I'd like to see the follow up on this one. If someone's in the neighborhood, can you keep us up on it?

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Game & Fish interviewed the guy and determine the buck was infact killed illegally via those interviews. Likely the guy fessed up to it knowing he had zero chance of defending against it. Rumor is he's on the hook for other bucks killed out of the same cemetery.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The guy's cell phone pings will put him in the area of the cemetery. It will not likely show him in the county that he said he killed the buck in. If you are going to poach and want a Roaundoak trophy for it, leave your damn phone at home and don't offer details. You might still have the BS flag thrown on you on the web, but there won't be enough "proof" for conviction.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
He [bleep] up

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Whoopsie Daisy

From the article;

"While there are carefully regulated urban bow seasons in Richmond, no hunting is allowed in Hollywood Cemetery and certain surrounding properties."

Photos with "hunter" and deer in question look to have a muzzleloader in them, so kind of doubtful it was an urban hunt. Not familiar with Richmond of course.

...do believe this moron is about to find out.

IMO, that wound, above the left shoulder, just below the spine, sure looks like a fixed broadhead enty, from above (out of a tree stand), not the reported & shown, muzzzleloader.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
the need for fame... never really saw the need for that. I may or may not show a deer I shot to some or none. it will be very few for sure.

otoh different things like a mid size black bear I shot with a sig 365 9mm. I share those because folks say it can't be done or such.

but fame will get you snagged if you are stupid enough to flaunt like this guy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

He'd easily be picked out of a lineup - great capture!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
He’s toast. 🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What a complete idiot! Hope they really hurt his pocket book and hunting license. Facebook .......................Lots of decent folks on here are on it so I'll say no more.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Happened about 90 miles east of me. Guy is an idiot. I didn't click on the link from the OP but the big non typical was the 3rd deer from the cemetery he has shot this year. The big one has been photographed for years , all over FB and other social media sites. I saw it myself a few years ago. Probably the most well known deer in Virginia if not the east coast. He also shot two deer earlier that had been photographed in the same cemetery. It made outdoor life the next day , even had a cousin ask me about it the same day, and he lives in Texas. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Happened about 90 miles east of me. Guy is an idiot. I didn't click on the link from the OP but the big non typical was the 3rd deer from the cemetery he has shot this year. The big one has been photographed for years , all over FB and other social media sites. I saw it myself a few years ago. Probably the most well known deer in Virginia if not the east coast. He also shot two deer earlier that had been photographed in the same cemetery. It made outdoor life the next day , even had a cousin ask me about it the same day, and he lives in Texas. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

It’s obvious he’s an idiot. He’s got a neck beard and a Walmart Team Realtree cap.
Bet he listens to Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, and Jason Aldean too. 😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Just cracks me up the need to brag or get likes on social media. Guy could have probably shot the deer , euro mounted it himself or put the horns on a board and nobody may have ever known. Deer was on the decline and may have died of natural causes anyway. I've seen estimates the deer was 8 -10 years old. I've been seeing pictures of it on Facebook groups for at least 6 years and saw it in person about 4 years ago. He's supposedly admitted to killing all 3 deer this year.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What an idiot. Why on earth would you put any of those on social media? Of any kind?

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.