-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting deer with dogs used to be legal in east Texas. Not legal any longer. I believe the sport has about run its course everywhere and will soon go the way of the dodo bird.

Reason has already been stated. To many people and too much land cut up into smaller and smaller parcels. People tend to be jealous of private property rights. Justly so.

Dogs can't read posted signs and don't know what a fence means. Not the dogs fault.

When dog hunting was more common everybody accepted it as the way to do things. That time has passed or is passing quickly for the reason stated above.

Those that insist on running their dogs come hell or highwater are just making it worse for those who try to be responsible with the deal. The outlaws and renegades are going to be the ones who will kill it by what they do more than the very fact of running deer with dogs its self does.

Just my opinion anyway.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Iused to have recurrent problems with the good ol boy coon hunters. A neighbor suggested I set snares along the creeks both ways from the road. I would have done that if I thought I'd catch the good ol boys and not the dogs, who are just being dogs. I did put up signs that simply declare "SNARES SET ON THIS PROPERTY". I quess some of the coon hunters can read because they haven't been back these last two years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by headspace
Iused to have recurrent problems with the good ol boy coon hunters. A neighbor suggested I set snares along the creeks both ways from the road. I would have done that if I thought I'd catch the good ol boys and not the dogs, who are just being dogs. I did put up signs that simply declare "SNARES SET ON THIS PROPERTY". I quess some of the coon hunters can read because they haven't been back these last two years.

Good idea.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I used to be opposed to running deer with dogs. But after being around it I'm not opposed to it. I dont deer hunt with dogs, but I live where people do. Most are good people and follow the law.

Like stated before, it will be the few bad apples who ruin it for the others.

Someone said in an earlier post that PETA could get a video of dogs running and use it against us. Heck, I see a bunch of stuff on outdoor TV that turns my stomach. PETA could use a bunch of that crap which is shown daily and turn heads.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Good post Boggy!!!

When you have boundary owners tresspassing on property, that you have permission to be on, to run you off or whatever, it might pay to work at being a better neighbor. Conflict always has 2 sides an issue.

Might just be something to keep in mind, when all of us see houses, ranchettes, malls going up on the boundaries.

And Couchtater, you might want to interact with some rural folks before they are extinct. You just might find some with ethics and morality. They have property to PROTECT and PRESERVE too!!!
Rural folks (real ones) are probably more accumstomed to change than any "class". They experience it every birthing and growing season.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by remseven
And Couchtater, you might want to interact with some rural folks before they are extinct. You just might find some with ethics and morality. They have property to PROTECT and PRESERVE too!!!
Rural folks (real ones) are probably more accumstomed to change than any "class". They experience it every birthing and growing season.

One side of my family has been in the Appalachians for 150 years or so, and some for a millennium or so; the other side of my family came from farming and mining areas of PA. Every family reunion and funeral I go to, I rub shoulders with great aunts and uncles who still live back in the hollers. They've all got electricity now, some even have central heat! Some of the best meals I've ever had have been at the farm owned by family friends. Its not that I'm ignorant of rural life, its just that I don't buy into some of the stereotypical nonsense that gets thrown about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can speak from experience on both sides of this situation. I don't and never have run deer with dogs. Son#2 is a die hard dog guy. He and a friend have a pack of around 30 registered Walkers, Blue Tick, and Red Bone hounds that they use to run deer. They belong to three clubs that have around 100 dogs together. They decide who's pack will run before a chase and can usually get in two in the morning and two in the afternoon. They don't usually loose more than 10 dogs for a chase. He had 8 out yesterday running deer on a 6000 acre lease in the next county over. He gets very pissed when I refuse him permission to run any of his pack on my farm.
Intrusions on my land got so bad that I high fenced all but 200 acres of the farm. That took care of dogs and trespassers.
I can see why the dog runners love their sport. It is a real rush to hear the hounds on track, to drive hellbent to get in front, to push your way into the nastiest swamp to retrieve a lost dog. It surely isn't an old guy's sport.
As more an more "city folk" move to the country the situation with dog runners will only get worse. I think if it ever gets on the ballot here in NC it will be voted out like in OR (cats and bear).

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, thing of the past. Going to miss it a bunch. Fell alseep many a night with the neighbor's fox-hounds running all night, into daylight. Yeah, sometimes through the barnlot and yard.

Course now since air conditioning has became common, can close the windows and don't have to listen to the meth and mary jane traffic at all hours of the night, grin .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You guys who are complaining about dogs, are you just complaining about using dogs on deer, or dogs in hunting in general?

i'd guess that most do not mind others using dogs to pursue game of any sort...
i think that the problems start when the dogs handlers insist on going anywhere, driving anywhere, shooting anywhere, regardless of property lines when following their dogs...

seen it happen... hasn't happened on my property for years.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Those that insist on running their dogs come hell or highwater are just making it worse for those who try to be responsible with the deal. The outlaws and renegades are going to be the ones who will kill it by what they do more than the very fact of running deer with dogs its self does.

Just my opinion anyway.

BCR

well said, boggy.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Boggy seems to have a knack for the "well said"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.