Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61
10 wolves a really poor way to establish a wolf pack? Are you kidding! You know how many were dumped in yellowstone in 1995 ? 14. 1995-1997 there were 41 dumped in Yellowstone now how man is there in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana?
The New Perce last i heard were gonna give Colorado 40.

Your keyboard is slurring.

That said the wolves introduced into Yellowstone Park were kept in confinement for weeks to allow them to bond and get used to the new enviroment. There were many more than 10.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is litterally kicking them out the door with a "Good Luck" into an area that is not a protected Federal National Park.

To someone who understands this looks like the introduction is being setup to fail from those tasked with the introduction. It's almost like CO P&W didn't want wuffs.

10 wuffs dumped on the landscape are extremely vulnerable to a host of things and are far from an established breeding pack. Odds are good they will even kill a few themselves. Wolf on wolf violence is a thing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Wolf on wolf violence is a thing.
Please-O, Please-O, Please-O........ the more, the better. Go wolf-on-wolf violence...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I believe astudy in Denali Park found the most significant cause of mortality for wolves was...........other wolves!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Wolf on wolf violence is a thing.
Please-O, Please-O, Please-O........ the more, the better. Go wolf-on-wolf violence...

Intra-specific fighting: wolves killed by wolves

Major source of mortality among wolves, multi-year study of Denali wolves (Mech et al. 1998)
39% (22 of 57) of radio-collared individuals
To 65% possible, including deaths due to unknown causes
Freshly killed wolf remains often show signs of conflict with other wolves (Mech et al. 1998)
Introducing the wuffs in late December gives scant time to form a pack, mate, and find a good den site.

Miss the January breeding window and it's a whole nother year before any of those 10 wuffs can make new wuffs.

The stress from being captured, moved, and dumped into a totally new landscape is going to put a bit of a damper on wuff romance and pack developement.

While I won't say failure is a sure thing it's sort of hard to think how one could do the first Colorado introduction in a manner more designed for failure.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/17/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Read again Burns 14 planted in 95, Google is your friend.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The wolves will adapt just fine and will build a social structure. Also, they don't repopulate as fast as one thinks and don't need a large area but if it's there then the better for them. For controlling them it takes hunters and trappers to keep numbers in check if they allow a season at later date. Minnesota and Wisc. was lucky enough to have two years of wolf hunts. All quota tags were filled before deadline. Maybe western hunters can learn a thing or two from Midwest hunters. And running one down after 30-40 miles chase with snowmobile isn't the answer and just messes up a season, we lucky enough to get. aah maybe someday you guys out west figure it out. LOL We also have more wolves here than all western states combined.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh they will adapt alright. As soon as they were released in 95 2 headed straight to montana and the Alpha was shot so now there was 13.
If you got more than all Western states combined you guys are doing a real bang up job keeping them in check i hope we really learn from Minnesota.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/18/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt you'll ever see wolf hunting in CO. Here in ID, the state recently passed laws aiming to reduce the wolf population by 90%. That's BY 90%, not TO 90%. Tags are cheap and you can buy an unlimited number of them. Seasons in most of the state are year round.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Theres 4 in Colorado right now or on there way, quite possibly in a Silver truck pulling a horse trailer.
2 from the Norgard pack and 2 from the 5 point pack that have been heavily into livestock trouble.
Oregon had to kill 4 out of that pack, Google 5 point pack you will see, from what I understand Oregon is not suppose to send trouble wolves to Colorado if there is such a thing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I doubt you'll ever see wolf hunting in CO. Here in ID, the state recently passed laws aiming to reduce the wolf population by 90%. That's BY 90%, not TO 90%. Tags are cheap and you can buy an unlimited number of them. Seasons in most of the state are year round.
Except Montana, I can't understand why we are constantly in court over wolves and g- bears. Maybe its because all these liberal wolf and g- bear lovers we have gotten over the last 10 years.

You guys in Wyoming and Idaho don't seem to have near the court B.S. we do of course the lovely Fed Judge Malloy is in one of the most liberal holes in Montana.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About to find out theres 4 wolves either in Colorado or on there way as we speak and more to come.
Google 5 point pack in Oregon thats were 2 of the 4 came from

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read again Burns 14 planted in 95, Google is your friend.

Pretty sure I don't need Google to know 14 is 40% (a lot) more than 10.

As I told you those 14 wolves were kept in an enclosure (in YNP) for months to allow a pack to form and the wolves to get used to the enviorment.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If keeping them in a pen was so successful why did 2 head straight for Montana, dont suppose the others hung around because of the 20,000 elk to feed on

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If a fellow were to gut shoot a wolf and it ran off somewhere and died there would be no need for a shovel. Correct?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If keeping them in a pen was so successful why did 2 head straight for Montana, dont suppose the others hung around because of the 20,000 elk to feed on

LOL.

12 stayed put as an established pack. It was extremely susccessful at establishing a pack with a territory inside Yellowstone.

2 dispersed from the pack as wolves have always done. That's how they expand into new areas.

You seem surly. Not feeling so well today?

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

LOL.

12 stayed put as an established pack. It was extremely susccessful at establishing a pack with a territory inside Yellowstone.

2 dispersed from the pack as wolves have always done. That's how they expand into new areas.

Hung over Burns?
Long weekend in the whiskey bottle, seem a little dillusional.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL.

Hung over Burns?
Long weekend in the whiskey bottle, seem a little dillusional.

I have been consistently right and you can hardly type a coherent post.

Are you smelling burnt toast?

Anyhow, I don't give this step in the introduction much chance of producing an established packand I would never encourge anyone to do anything illegal.

As a side note, your cell phone (if you are carrying one) pings the closest towers and law enforcement can get records of the pings for towers in the general location of an incident.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awooo werewolves in Boulder ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeez. They let the head sodomite turn them loose?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.