-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a good video that explains things pretty well.

For receivers with integral rails, I use this jig to lap and/or bed rings. Just finished up this set (tops and bottoms bedded).
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The rings had so much beam strength that it was hard to get good contact with the rail without excessive force on the side screws. A little mill work helped that issue out.

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Threads like this, especially here, are like pushing a rope.....lots of effort for little forward progress.

There are extremists both pro and con. In the middle is experience and common sense. Stress free mounting makes a bigger difference than most believe (or will allow themselves to believe) and can influence tracking, return-to-zero and scope life. The majority of failures are the result of the cumulative effects of shooting. A smaller number are bad right out of the box. The vast majority of shooters discussing how their scopes track or don't track lack either the platform (rifle), shooting ability, testing ability and/or the combination of these three things to properly evaluate a scopes performance. That won't be a popular statement but it's a fact, none the less. The tracking and RTZ simply has to be reliable enough for the size of the 'target'...animal, paper or steel. Once a scope has that, it's adequate for your use. If an optical system doesn’t stand up to the use you'll give it, make changes in brands and/or mounting until it does.

Over a fairly successful competitive shooting 'career', I've won on the local, regional and national level with Weaver, Leupold, NF and Sightron. And also experienced failures with each of those brands. Some were out-of-the-box and some had been worked on both before and after the fact. Aside from the occasional dramatic failure ( the best failures because there's no doubt what's happened wink ), the long haul average of reliability is the best determiner. When the number of rounds shot each season is tallied by how many empty 1K packages of primers hit the garbage can, the trends are pretty easy to spot. As well as production dates when things started going wonky or getting better.

For what it's worth over my second cup of coffee.........

Good shootin' smile -Al

Excellent, appreciate your insight into reality.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That's a good video that explains things pretty well.

For receivers with integral rails, I use this jig to lap and/or bed rings. Just finished up this set (tops and bottoms bedded).

The rings had so much beam strength that it was hard to get good contact with the rail without excessive force on the side screws. A little mill work helped that issue out.

What brand of scope checker is that? Never mind. I see it's a jig that you made. Very nice!

Last edited by Japlvr; 12/17/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Japlvr
What brand of scope checker is that? Never mind. I see it's a jig that you made. Very nice!

I wish I could take credit for making that one. wink It's actually the top plate for a Field And Cave scope checker.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Al, for someone who constantly talks about such precision, I'm surprised to see you bedding rings to your lapping bar. What about dimensional differences between the bar and the actual scope tube that ends up in them? To me, it's kind of like bedding a stock to one action and then throwing a different action in it. What am I missing?

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave284
Al, for someone who constantly talks about such precision, I'm surprised to see you bedding rings to your lapping bar. What about dimensional differences between the bar and the actual scope tube that ends up in them? To me, it's kind of like bedding a stock to one action and then throwing a different action in it. What am I missing?

Nothing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Threads like this, especially here, are like pushing a rope.....lots of effort for little forward progress.

There are extremists both pro and con. In the middle is experience and common sense. Stress free mounting makes a bigger difference than most believe (or will allow themselves to believe) and can influence tracking, return-to-zero and scope life. The majority of failures are the result of the cumulative effects of shooting. A smaller number are bad right out of the box. The vast majority of shooters discussing how their scopes track or don't track lack either the platform (rifle), shooting ability, testing ability and/or the combination of these three things to properly evaluate a scopes performance. That won't be a popular statement but it's a fact, none the less. The tracking and RTZ simply has to be reliable enough for the size of the 'target'...animal, paper or steel. Once a scope has that, it's adequate for your use. If an optical system doesn’t stand up to the use you'll give it, make changes in brands and/or mounting until it does.

Over a fairly successful competitive shooting 'career', I've won on the local, regional and national level with Weaver, Leupold, NF and Sightron. And also experienced failures with each of those brands. Some were out-of-the-box and some had been worked on both before and after the fact. Aside from the occasional dramatic failure ( the best failures because there's no doubt what's happened wink ), the long haul average of reliability is the best determiner. When the number of rounds shot each season is tallied by how many empty 1K packages of primers hit the garbage can, the trends are pretty easy to spot. As well as production dates when things started going wonky or getting better.

For what it's worth over my second cup of coffee.........

Good shootin' smile -Al

Hi Al,

First, I respect your accomplishments in the benchrest world. 👍🏼

As far as scope evaluation, the benchrest world is different compared to games where a scope will be dialed up and down from 25 to 1200 yards about 200 times on a weekend, banged on barricades, gates, logs, tires, 50 gallon drums, car windows and hoods, boulders, and tree limbs.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the benchrest world, heavy rifles are shot from adjustable front rests, rabbit ear bags from a cement solid bench under a roof.

If you’d like to open your eyes as to what works under the harshest conditions (resembling hunting), you may want to stretch it out a bit

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Nothing.

+1

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rings need to accomodate a variety of different scope tube diameters from scope to scope. So the bedding compound can't be as hard as what you use to bed an action, for example. I used to use AcraGlas Gel for rings as it had a bit of Nylon in it to allow for some slight give. Lately I've been using a two part epoxy and adding Nylon powder to for the same result. Nylon powder is used in the 3D printing industry.

The rings pictured will have 4 scopes possibly in them. The diameters go from .996, .997, 1.00 and a Leupold with a rear tube of .994 and a front tube section that's .998.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
If you’d like to open your eyes as to what works under the harshest conditions (resembling hunting), you may want to stretch it out a bit

The majority of the work I do is on hunting rigs. They all get the same treatment. In fact, I started doing this work to square away my hunting stuff several years before I ever started competing in formal BR stuff.

Stress free, straight and true doesn't care what kind of use the rifle gets.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks Al for the insight on scope tube variation. I had presumed that modern manufacturers had those down much tighter than that, like ± .0015".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Esteban325
Thanks Al for the insight on scope tube variation. I had presumed that modern manufacturers had those down much tighter than that, like ± .0015".

Most...not all...30mm tubes run a bit closer than 1" tubes as a rule. That will be news to those that assume and hope instead of checking and knowing.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info, Al. So add a compliant gap filler. Not hard bedding. What do you think about the Burris Signature inserts?

Awhile ago I took a few different brands of 30mm scopes and rings and checked for fit. It was surprising to see the variation in gap and location from one brand (sample really) to another. I then used a centerless ground rod and checked again. All the rings had visible gaps. More than I expected. Either the ring or main tube needs to deform as there's no gap once the fasteners are tightened.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Thanks for the info, Al. So add a compliant gap filler. Not hard bedding. What do you think about the Burris Signature inserts?

The Signature inserts essentially act as bedding...a nice alternative with the benefit of being able to add offsets. On a couple guns here with 30MM rings, flanged 30MM to 1" reducer bushings allow for scope swapping. The 30MM rings are bedded, obviously.

Originally Posted by 4th_point
Awhile ago I took a few different brands of 30mm scopes and rings and checked for fit. It was surprising to see the variation in gap and location from one brand (sample really) to another. I then used a centerless ground rod and checked again. All the rings had visible gaps. More than I expected. Either the ring or main tube needs to deform as there's no gap once the fasteners are tightened.

Yeah....actually checking stuff can be pretty eye opening, can't it? wink Good for you on digging a bit deeper. Once we understand what's happening, the remedies fall into place pretty easily.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al, I don't trust anything! I do like the Signature inserts though.

I had three or four 1-pc rails, from the same manufacturer, and they all had QC issues. If someone used those rails without checking, the scope would be put into a bind. Very popular brand too. Midrange price point.

I use centerless ground rod for fit and visual checks. Got that tip from JB. I don't lap with the rods.

I did QA for a bit, after my product development career. I had to monitor QC where some product was inspected at microinch or millionths of an inch over numerous feet. I also did gage analysis studies with operators, fixtures, and measurement machines. There were serious issues between operators but that's why the studies are done! But the real cause was the fixturing not being idiot proof enough (engineering responsibility).

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/19/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good example is the Leupold Freedom 3-9 scope I 'fixed' this summer for a local guy. The power ring would barely rotate and he asked me to look at it at the range one day. As I loosened the rear ring top, the scope moved upward. With the ring top off, there was close to .020 between the bottom of the ring and the scope tube. crazy And surprise, surprise...the power ring now turned smoothly. grin I bedded the bases to equalize the heights and bedded the rings. It fits like a glove and works smoothly.

Leupold has enough Q.C. issues on it's hands as it is. But this one wasn't their doing.

People buy the heaviest bases and rails with rings that have a dozen screws, tighten the beejeezus out of everything to some gurus torque specification and think they really have something. The truth is all they've done is covered up the problem. It's the same thing with chassis and bedding block stocks. Marketing people knows what sells and set the hooks accordingly.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, Brother Al

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Thanks, Brother Al
It's all pretty basic stuff. If you need to be real smart to savvy this stuff, I'd be out. wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With all the variances in scope tube diameters, it makes a guy wonder how straight the rear mounting section is with the front, as in how concentric the run out would be when spun with dial indicators.

Don't ever remember anyone discussing measuring this. What if the rings are aligned well and the scope itself is crooked?

Of course Al's bedding and Burris inserts would solve this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Al, I really appreciate your contribution to the thread. Great info/pics.

Mule Deer, perhaps the diff in the fixed power vs later variable scopes isn't so much tube construction, but cheaper guts in the later stuff?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.