Hop To
Page 32 of 37 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 36 37
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by DBT
Socrates talked about the golden rule centuries before Christianity.

Moses wrote about it centuries before Socrates.....

The vast consensus of Biblical Scholars is that Moses did not exist.

Plato existed, but I'm less certain about Socrates.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bludog
Leviticus 19:18 written approximately 1400 years before Christ:

"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge,,,but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

Predated Socrates by only about 1000 years.

May your eyes be opened.

Obviously reply was for DBT.

Leviticus was written much later than that. It was largely written during the Exile, in the 6th Century B.C, and some parts are dated centuries after that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

About Dr. Becky Smethurst:
Royal Astronomical Society Research Fellow at the University of Oxford
Dr. Becky's page at the University of Oxford
Personal website

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
If the bible has errors, it can be wrong about a lot of things, including God.
And the existence of Jesus.

We’ve gone over this before…. As I recall, you did not accept that Jesus was indeed a very real historical figure.

Correct?

You recall wrong. I don't deny the possibility that there was a charismatic rabbi behind the myth. I'm inclined to think there was. It's the supernatural elements, embellishments and claims of the story that are disputed. .

Nope, I don’t recall wrong.

I was responding to AS comment, not yours.

Get up to speed ….

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RHOD
The model of the Earth and Universe described in the Bible:

https://www.christianorthodox.net/images/world3.jpg

Try to use the Bible as a science text book and you're and idiot.

Still hoping some Bible literalist will explain this model of the universe to me.

Fwiw…. Care to show me where that “model” is found in the Bible?

The citations are right there on the diagram of the model. I purposefully posted one with citations for those who have never actually read or understood the Bible.

This was actually a pretty common model of cosmos during the time and place the texts of the Bible were written.

Nope, you are incorrect. The model you refer to is not ….repeat…is not in the Bible. The model is just a man’s interpretation of verses of scripture.

Happens all the time….

Someone reads some verses and does not comprehend them but the goes ahead and provides ignorant comment.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

We’ve gone over this before…. As I recall, you did not accept that Jesus was indeed a very real historical figure.

Correct?

Are the Norse, Greek, and Egyptian gods historical figures?

Once upon a time people believed they were. Now, we know better.

Aw, c’mon…. A simple question …..but all you can do is evade….bob and weave.

Do you remember when you challenged me and asked what would become of me/my soul if what I believed about Jesus was untrue?

I answered you and asked what you thought would be your fate if what I believed about Jesus was indeed true?

You did not answer that question either.

Last edited by TF49; 12/18/23.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge,,,but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

May your eyes be opened.

Leviticus was written much later than that. It was largely written during the Exile, in the 6th Century B.C, and some parts are dated centuries after that.

Again, another AS opinion presented as incontrovertible fact.

Levtiticus was likely “written” by Moses….. handed down….and perhaps transcribed by priests.

So, yes….predating Socrates.

Be careful, if you keep digging to drum up reasons “not to believe,” …… you may succeed.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

May your eyes be opened.

Levtiticus was likely “written” by Moses….. handed down….and perhaps transcribed by priests.

Be careful, if you keep digging to drum up reasons “not to believe,” …… you may succeed.

Written by a factious character?

That's funny.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by DBT
Socrates talked about the golden rule centuries before Christianity.

Moses wrote about it centuries before Socrates.....

The estimate varies. Nor is it the point. Socrates, a pagan, was neither of the tribe of Israel or a Christian, Socrates expressed the golden rule as a Philosopher and a thinker.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

May your eyes be opened.

The law in Leviticus was written by and for the tribe of Israel, not the surrounding people, who could be killed or enslaved because they were outside of the law of the prophets.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Still hoping some Bible literalist will explain this model of the universe to me.

The citations are right there on the diagram of the model. I purposefully posted one with citations for those who have never actually read or understood the Bible.

This was actually a pretty common model of cosmos during the time and place the texts of the Bible were written.

Nope, you are incorrect. The model you refer to is not ….repeat…is not in the Bible. The model is just a man’s interpretation of verses of scripture.

Happens all the time….

Someone reads some verses and does not comprehend them but the goes ahead and provides ignorant comment.

That model is quite clearly what the Bible says. Don't believe it? You're going to Hell.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Correct?

You recall wrong. I don't deny the possibility that there was a charismatic rabbi behind the myth. I'm inclined to think there was. It's the supernatural elements, embellishments and claims of the story that are disputed. .

Get up to speed ….

Yeah, I just glanced at the quote nesting. My point is that the existence of Jesus the man as a historical figure does nothing to prove the supernatural stories that grew around him with each retelling, and especially after his death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

May your eyes be opened.

Written by a factious character?

That's funny.

More bobbing and weaving and evading from you….

Kinda empty….

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Correct?

Get up to speed ….

Yeah, I just glanced at the quote nesting. My point is that the existence of Jesus the man as a historical figure does nothing to prove the supernatural stories that grew around him with each retelling, and especially after his death.

Yes, you got that somewhat right. However…..seems you simply deny the reality of Jesus, the God-Man.

You also seem to deny the evidence of a very real “spirit world” …..and look only at the physical world for answers.

“Spiritually blind.”

Gazing at the creation, not looking to the Creator.

Your choice….

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Happens all the time….

That model is quite clearly what the Bible says. Don't believe it? You're going to Hell.

You make me smile….. I am not going to hell but that is not a central issue here…..so…. show me the “model” in the Book.

You can’t do it…… what you can do is quote the verses dealing with creation, so go ahead and do that….and then show us how the model is built up from those verses.

The “model” is nothing more than a drawing with creation subject matter superimposed on it.

There is one statement you made that is quite correct….”Try to use the Bible as a science text book and you’re an idiot.”

The important point is….”……THAT God did it, not HOW He did it.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Happens all the time….

You make me smile….. I am not going to hell but that is not a central issue here…..so…. show me the “model” in the Book.

You can’t do it…… what you can do is quote the verses dealing with creation, so go ahead and do that….and then show us how the model is built up from those verses.

The “model” is nothing more than a drawing with creation subject matter superimposed on it.

There is one statement you made that is quite correct….”Try to use the Bible as a science text book and you’re an idiot.”

It's pretty funny when Christians are clueless about what's in their own Bible.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Happens all the time….

Explain to me where all the water came from in Noah's flood and where it went, using what we now can observe about the nature of the Earth and cosmos.

Last edited by RHOD; 12/18/23.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Correct?

Get up to speed ….

Yes, you got that somewhat right. However…..seems you simply deny the reality of Jesus, the God-Man.

You also seem to deny the evidence of a very real “spirit world” …..and look only at the physical world for answers.

“Spiritually blind.”

Your choice….

I don't 'deny,' I point out that there is no evidence to support it. As I said, Paul, who wrote shortly after the events described in the later gospels makes no mention of the miraculous works of Jesus the man. Which are most likely later embellishments of the story as the movement grew and developed.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Happens all the time….

It's pretty funny when Christians are clueless about what's in their own Bible.

AS,

Care to explain how the “model” is in the Bible?

Care to show that the “model” is nothing more than a man’s interpretation of scripture?

I will venture a guess that you will not because you can not.

Just more meaningless and mindless commentary from you.

Actually, the comments made by biblically illiterate non-Christians is somewhat pathetic…and certainly clueless.

But, back to the question you evaded quite awhile ago….what do think your fate will be if what I say about Jesus and God is true?

I agreed to answer your question if you answered mine. I answered your question. You did not answer mine.

Go ahead….

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Correct?

Get up to speed ….

“Spiritually blind.”

Your choice….

I don't 'deny,' I point out that there is no evidence to support it. As I said, Paul, who wrote shortly after the events described in the later gospels makes no mention of the miraculous works of Jesus the man. Which are most likely later embellishments of the story as the movement grew and developed.

As they say, “an argument from silence is no argument at all…”

Read this if you want to learn……don’t read it if you prefer to stay in ignorance….

https://crossexamined.org/does-pauls-silence-about-jesus-prove-that-he-didnt-exist/

Edit to add: the Gospels were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John…. These men were with Jesus and personally witnessed what Jesus did. Paul uses a quote from Jesus in 1 Corinthians 11 and uses the phrases ….clearly referring to Jesus….”in Him” and “in Christ” ….143 times in his writings….Paul clearly encountered Jesus on the Damascus road….an event witnessed by others….

Also, Paul’s writings are, in the main “instructional and enlightening.” Paul’s writings serve a different purpose than the gospels.

Also….a point of order…Jesus was fully God and fully man since birth. He did not “become God” after his crucifixion.

Page 32 of 37 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 24 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,113
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.