Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by colorado
No brakes on my 7 1/2 lb (with scope) 375 Weatherby or my 12 lb 500 Jeffery. Not a big fan of recoil, but I don't like brakes, don't have issues with folks that do. If my 375 Weatherby recoil bothers me, I just shoot 2 or 3 round through the 500 Jeffery then go back to the 375 Bee. Then it doesn't recoil at all lol

That’s a pretty light Weatherby, my .375 AI weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce fully loaded, scoped and slung. The recoil with that 9 -1 computes out to 59 ft/pounds…….I suspect that yours easily goes beyond 60. That’s a pretty good thump from the bench! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by memtb
Replace the pad with a Pachmyar Decellerator or similar, making sure you have proper stock fit…..and recoil without a brake should be a none issue. A non-issue unless…..you plan on shooting more than 20 or 30 rounds at each sitting! memtb

I guess I have the brake disease. I use a brake on my .257 wildcat. It uses 95 grain bullets. I used to have a .17 Remington and it had a brake. See the hits without fighting with a rifle and trying to bruise my shoulder before I even fire it makes no sense.

Someone said we exchange pain at the shoulder for pain in the ears. Not if one uses electronic hearing protection.

Wow! That’s all I got! 😁 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by colorado
No brakes on my 7 1/2 lb (with scope) 375 Weatherby or my 12 lb 500 Jeffery. Not a big fan of recoil, but I don't like brakes, don't have issues with folks that do. If my 375 Weatherby recoil bothers me, I just shoot 2 or 3 round through the 500 Jeffery then go back to the 375 Bee. Then it doesn't recoil at all lol

That’s a pretty light Weatherby, my .375 AI weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce fully loaded, scoped and slung. The recoil with that 9 -1 computes out to 59 ft/pounds…….I suspect that yours easily goes beyond 60. That’s a pretty good thump from the bench! 😁 memtb

My 500 Jeffery generates 110 ft lbs of recoil. Took awhile to get used to. It's all relative.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Now that is a healthy dose of recoil! 😉 I’m guess’n that you don’t shoot it from the bench a bunch! 🤔 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/08/23.

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You boys are some tough gents.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
You boys are some tough gents.

Nearing my 71st birthday, it’s not as easy as it used to be! 20 rounds at one sitting from the bench would be nearing my limit for quality shooting. And, quality shooting the following day would be very difficult! Heavy recoil comes with a heavy price…..but these aren’t Prairie Dog rifles that 100’s of rounds would be fired in a day!

In addition to the tender shoulder the following day…. I simply can’t afford to burn that many components! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/08/23.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to hate brakes until I learned that not all brake designs are equal from a noise perspective. Some brakes subject the shooter and those around the shooter to immense noise. Some seem to be about the same or less then an un-braked rifle from the position of the shooter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I used to hate brakes until I learned that not all brake designs are equal from a noise perspective. Some brakes subject the shooter and those around the shooter to immense noise. Some seem to be about the same or less then an un-braked rifle from the position of the shooter.

OK, you have my attention. Which ones are less?

LOL
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2

To give you my very limited experience with brakes……the Gentry “Quiet” Brake is indeed more quiet than a conventional brake! Though, my experience is limited to 2 cartridges, a 30-06 and a Rem. 8 MM Mag…..which were indeed much more quiet than the brake that I tried on my .375 AI.

I wish that I had tried the two different designs on the same rifle/load……then perhaps, it would have been a much more valid comparison! memtb

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to make aluminum brakes for myself just for testing. The gunsmith asked me to make one and thread both ends. He asked me to make it with angled ports. So I made one with four ports and about a 20 degree angle. I put it on 257 weatherby. On my recoil slide it went about three feet with no break. With the brake turned so that the vents were facing forward the rifle went about 12 in. With the ports pointed backward. The rifle went about 6 in. So even if the ports are forward a brake is better than no brake.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

To give you my very limited experience with brakes……the Gentry “Quiet” Brake is indeed more quiet than a conventional brake! Though, my experience is limited to 2 cartridges, a 30-06 and a Rem. 8 MM Mag…..which were indeed much more quiet than the brake that I tried on my .375 AI.

I wish that I had tried the two different designs on the same rifle/load……then perhaps, it would have been a much more valid comparison! memtb

I'm specifically asking about the brakes that sound quieter than an unbraked rifle from the position of the shooter.

LOL
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

I'm specifically asking about the brakes that sound quieter than an unbraked rifle from the position of the shooter.

I’m not certain if one brand is better than another but…. I suspect that without ear protection, all of them get quieter after a few shots fired! 😉😁 memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by ERK
I’m getting to the point that if my suppressor won’t screw on the barrel I don’t want to shoot it. Kinda ruins you for naked barrels. Edk

Exactly, on my third now and won't hunt without one. My vintage Win 70s don't get out of the safe much these days...

I'd be happy to take those off yer hands then.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I’m not certain if one brand is better than another but…. I suspect that without ear protection, all of them get quieter after a few shots fired! 😉😁 memtb

You made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
So, Newton's Laws finally made it to Grant's Pass.

HAHAHA

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is a helpful recoil calculator, to keep things in perspective.

https://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago I had a 375 H&H with a Answer Products Quiet brake.
The holes in the brake are angled, the idea being it will vent the gases aways from you.
There wasn't much quiet about it.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I shot my 460WBY, with had an original Wby brake, at an indoor range just for the heck of it. And yes - the 460WBY was permitted at the facility that used a dirt backstop. I took one shot and all the florescent lights immediately went out. As the auto starters were relighting the bulbs, you could see a cloud of dust falling down from the ceiling. My initial reaction was like "Holy [bleep]". I was curious to see if the blast from that rifle/brake would result in the same issues if fired again. Round number two was launched, and the place went momentarily black again. The third shot was just for laughs and brought the range officer around. He asked what I was shooting so I showed him the rifle that I had just cased. I inquired again if there was a rule against rifles like the 460WBY and he said, "no, only 50BMG is prohibited", but he did ask me to refrain from any further fire with the rifle. LOL

Brakes can cause issues on the range. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Answer Products Quiet Brake. Bitch Slap

Vias Brake. Bitch Slap

Harrels Brake. Bitch Slap

Defensive edge side port brake.
Bitch Slap. Bitch Slap bitch Slap Bitch Slap Bitch Slap.
And Bitch Slap.....

Have a new one on my 28 Nosler.
Can't remember the name right now .
Tactical precision? Something like that.
Looks like something the squareheads developed for the tiger tank 88.
It's actually not to bad .
I was surprised for 84g of powder.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Answer Products Quiet Brake. Bitch Slap

Vias Brake. Bitch Slap

Harrels Brake. Bitch Slap

Defensive edge side port brake.
Bitch Slap. Bitch Slap bitch Slap Bitch Slap Bitch Slap.
And Bitch Slap.....

Have a new one on my 28 Nosler.
Can't remember the name right now .
Tactical precision? Something like that.
Looks like something the squareheads developed for the tiger tank 88.
It's actually not to bad .
I was surprised for 84g of powder.
dave

Bitch slap.

85 grains of 7828 in a 300 Weatherby with 180 grain bullets and this Vias brake works…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 67 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,814
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.