Print Thread
Hop To
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Obviously, I'm in the early planning stages for a cape buffalo hunt. This will be my second (and likely last) African safari.

I don't want a high fence hunt, so RSA is out. I'm also not a wealthy man.

With those parameters, what would you recommend?

Looking forward to your replies,

KP

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gache Gache safari area Zimbabwe Track A Hunt Safaris Corris Ferreira

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve hunted buffalo 6X. Three times were with Buffalo Range Safaris. They are excellent- family run and operated. Every hunt I’ve had with them has been fair chase and excellent. They hunt several concessions in Zimbabwe. I’m taking my granddaughter and hunting with them again in 2025.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
2026 is a long time away. Concessions change hands and prices for certain will rise. In general Zim is the cheapest for a free range hunt so pick a reputable outfitter and just assume he will have good concessions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KP

Have you attended the Portland or the Puyallup sportsman show?

You will find, both of these sportsman show are a good place to look for an African hunt. I know that I booked a Zimbabwe hunt at the Portland show, however I visited with a few different groups at the Puyallup show, went home and did some internet searched on the different parties I was looking at and then went to the Portland show and booked my hunt.

most of these African ph's were scheduled for both shows. That would be a good face to face with the actual PH's that would be taking you. I visited with PH's from Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

As you indicated, do your search and see if a sportsman show is near by and visit.

I would not hesitate to look at Mozambique for a Cape buffalo hunt as some good specials are rolling out.

if you have the time take in the DSC convention in Dallas or the SCI convention in Nashville in 2024. you will not be disappointed.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It does not matter if you are going on your first hunt or you have done many, you should not settle for second best.
Look at the trophy pics on outfitters web sites.The nicer the trophy means wild areas.Don't trust the online folks to tell you which outfitter is reputable and which one is not but instead follow the scene, inform yourself and stick to your guns.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/19/23.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by bobmn
Gache Gache safari area Zimbabwe Track A Hunt Safaris Corris Ferreira

Second vote for Corris Ferreria, I had a get experience and plan on returning next year.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Alister Norton with Makasa Safaris, at his Nyakolwe camp in Zambia. Or check and see what Johnny DuPlooy has for concessions. Maybe you can connect with the HUGE 43-44” Buffalo we passed on this summer due to him still being a bit soft. It’s an 8 hour drive from Lusaka, which means you don’t need to charter a flight. It’s 1200sq/km of private land, which means he won’t lose his concession, and the lodging and food are amazing. The amount of Buffalo, elephants, and plains game we saw there were amazing, and the Luangwa valley is nothing short of amazing.

Last edited by jetjockey; 12/19/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll second Alister. I've hunted with him three times and at Nyakolwe once. Took a 43 inch bull and can't recommend him enough. Also three leopards!

Ali will be at the SCI Convention, Jan 31 thru Feb. 3 in Nashville.

Zambia is expensive, but worth it!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would offer as a suggestion Jacques Strauss of Kowas safaris in Namibia. I hunted with him in2021 and posted a detailed review here.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would strongly suggest looking at Zimbabwe and Zambia. In particular for safari operators I’d look up Classic African Hunting (Guav Johnson) and Kantanta Safaris (Valerio Ventriglia). Both are outstanding all around and good buffalo numbers.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Leon du Plessis Safaris in Zimbabwe. Save conservancy. I hunted with him back in August and a finer family to hunt with you won't find. Along with everything else, I shot two buffalo and had a ball. His camp is wonderful. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details. Gary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would do Zimbabwe in a heartbeat. Hunt the Save Conservancy if you want opportunities for plains game. I hunted Humani (in the Save) several years ago and that place is a zoo.

If you want a wilder experience, hunt in the Zambezi Valley-- Charlton MaCallum would be my choice there-- had a great hunt with them in 2022.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
get a hold of mark young, booking agent...307-250-1156..he can discuss a lot of options with you.....I went to zambia a couple years back, going to Zimbabwe 25....it doesn't cost you anything to talk to him.....bob

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ll 2nd the suggestion to contact Mark Young. He’s an excellent agent, has lots of connections and is very detail oriented. One thing to ask him about would be late season specials. I’ve seen some fantastic deals he’s offered in the Luangwa Valley and other places where you can pick up a quality hunt at bargain prices. There are times when safari companies have unsold quota remaining and make very attractive deals to get that quota sold.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sound and well though out suggestions above, the only thing I would add is that prices seem to be getting higher every year.

If at all possible I'd go sooner than later, but I'm old so mortality / health influences my decisions more each year.

Hope you have the trip of a lifetime.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.