Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by remseven
I don't think bullet velocity, weight, energy has anything to do at all with killing.

It is bullet spin that actually does the killing.

Now this is a new spin on bullets!!

I have tried loading 1/4 inch drill bits in my 25-06 but have not reached the level of achievment that I have in mind. Wonder which kills quicker, let hand twist or right hand? Or is there really a difference? Maybe titanium bits work better than steel but they get very expensive, even more than TXs.

If anyone else out there in loonie land has sny real experience in this area, please PM me.

Thanks

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have staid out of this as long as possible but...here goes. I have been hunting for over 30 years now and have used all sorts of calibers. I have killed mostly caribou (Over 100) and they aren't hard to kill but do give an idea of wound channels. I have used everything from 223 to 450 Marlin and have made them all work for me. I admit to a real soft spot for the 358 Norma. The combination of bullet weight, velocity and diameter create a hell of a thump on the receiving end and is nearing the upper limit of recoil that can be handled by a normal person in a medium-light rifle.

I am sure that other calibers can be made to do similar things but the 358 Norma is a special round to me. The shocking power with 225-250 grain bullets is simply outstanding and I am not surprised by the results in the Swedish study.

As for rotational energy... (though I think this was a joke?) It might help expand bullets a bit but I don't figure it to be a major contributer to killing power. I used a 22-250AI with a 9 twist firing 53X's at 4000 ft/sec. They twisted like mad but at long range when the velocity had dropped off (but the twist remained) it wasn't much of a killer.

Last edited by North61; 12/29/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Honestly now. This isn't a dig at anyone please don't think it is but how many guys who posted on this thread have actually killed a moose?

Answer Honestly this is a no shame question?

O.K., O.K..... you got me I have never killed a Swedish moose or even a normal American or Canadian moose,I did try to shoot one that was tangled in a fence with a broken leg in the upper peninsula on the way to Thunder Bay. The local people wouldn't let me shoot it beside the road because I had no tag,in five minutes the warden was there and shot it himself.

I have encountered a fair share of mooses while hunting other critters and did not have a tag. Once in Ontario,I was driving down a dirt road only to have a cow moose merge in front of me. I slowed down and tailgated her for about a mile before we came to a fork in the road,she went right and I went left.

So having taken my fair share of non moose critters,I have come to the realization that it's time to slay a moose. How else can a guy discuss anything on the internet with such poor moose credentials. If any of you guys want to help a guy on a moose quest,well let me know,I think I am going to shoot my moose with a 300 magnum because...well just because I can. Maybe I'll take the Whelen as a back up in case the mooses are in the thick stuff.

Which reminds me of the most important fact of all in moose shooting. Shot placement. Once an old Canuck with scores of moose kills behind him told me the very best place to shoot a moose was close to the truck. Is that anywhere near the withers?

grin grins from a southerner without a moose

Britt

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In Montana the moose-shooting advice is "on the uphill side of the road."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, I'm sorry it got posted. Half-assed attempt at humor on the tangents here, bumped key with coffee cup, post went. It needed a lot of rewrite and correction

Saw JB's post, got engrossd, (good job, him)), thought aw-oh, better delete mine, before someone thinks I'm serious, or gets more confused. Too late.

It was not serious, REPEAT: It was not serious. The only good thing about that post, was I didn't spill the coffee on my keyboard, crazy !!!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
well...thats jest puuurfect, maybe you can help me with a moniter cleaning solution, cuz I got coffee, snot, and snuff on mine after your post grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ha, ha - Bore Kote it, laugh >

Which reminds me, anybody know if any of those Campfire hats are still available? Need to get some Bore-Kote too, for an Omega, not the keyboard.

Mine was on the head of a " Lil' Dude" when he got in the car with his parents awhile ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perfect answer.Your a good man doc...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mule deer has it right "In Montana the moose-shooting advice is "on the uphill side of the road."

Outside of that Yada, Yada, Yada!

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My shots are limited to the amount of rope I have, about 500yds. The days of packing are over for me. just use the tackle now.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. ruraldoc:
Good afternoon Britt, I hope you and yours had a good Christmas.

I believe that the advice you were given on shot placement was very good indeed.

To answer Mr. 7STW�s query, my experience with moose that I have killed is limited to a single sample. I�ve helped cut up moose that others have killed, but so far my tally on moose stands at one bull.

Now speaking of that one bull in retrospect, I would certainly have preferred to shoot it uphill and close to the truck, but naturally I did neither. I usually hunt solo, have no quad and on that day no horse along, so I earned every pound of meat from that particular animal��

I distinctly remember thinking some unwholesome and unprintable thoughts upon approaching the downed bull and being unable to so much as roll it over. My moose advice is that willing help of any kind should be gratefully accepted.

Happy New Year to you all here at the Campfire!
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
Wow!!
Airplane wings, propellers, energy, 338s`, and 250 gr`ers. This thread has covered almost everything except where 1260 missing moose are. We`re looking for the 338s missing "killin` power" and overlooked a pile of missin` moose.
Maybe the answer is once you poke a hole through the lungs of a moose it only has so long on this earth, no matter what size the hole or whether it was done with a sharp stick or RPG. Maybe they like to amble a little so they take that last walk, but are as lazy as they look and only like doing ~50 yd at a time.

6.5x55------------2,792
7mm Rem. Mag.-----107
.308 WCF---------1,314
.30-06------------2,829
.300 Win. Mag.-------27
8x57----------------575
.338 Win. Mag.-------83
.358 Norma----------219
9.3x57--------------134
9.3x62--------------449
.375 H&H----------- 211
---------------- = 8740 dead moose`s?

I thought we were learning from 10,000 moose`s?
I think Savage 99 found one of them tied up (better turn it loose, DNR frowns on this I believe) and looking a bit peaked although still kickin`. I don`t know if we can count that one or not, but we are still a few steaks short of 10,000 animals. Maybe once we find them we`ll have a answer. We`ve all agreed we can`t come to a conclusion without all the data.
wink

As djs pointed out, they obviously left out the roadkilled moose. Perhaps the expended projectiles were too hard to weigh and measure for diameter.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MD: +2 to the flatter trajectory issue involving the faster(magnum?) cartridges. I think IMHO that the higher velocity,and higher RPM's, will also facilitate more rapid and thorough bullet expansion IF you happen to be using a tough bullet,which all contributes indirectly to the killing action of the bullet.

I think this means that a standard velocity cartridge(30/06,for example) works just great;but if I HAD to deal with an elk at 450 yards,and had my choice between, say,a 30/06 and a 300 Weatherby,IMHO I would choose the Weatherby;not because the 30/06 would not work,but simply because the flatter trajectory with 180-200 gr bullets would make the hit easier,and the added velocity (forward and rotational)would facilitate good bullet expansion with a tough,expanding bullet.

Have I said enough to get in trouble yet!?........ smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Personally I prefer sonic for bergers made from the humps of scandanavian mooses,in spite of the laminar effects of compressible newtons made of fig. grin

I forget,what were we talkin about?

Britt

That is too dang funny!

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Another good one is "tight behind the pick-up truck".

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Expat

Why not lure the bggest moose to climb up into the pick-up's bed? It sure saves having to lift him up 3 feet!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Expat

Why not lure the bggest moose to climb up into the pick-up's bed? It sure saves having to lift him up 3 feet!

Or perhaps a trail of corn leading to the skinning shed!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly wouldn't shoot moose at the hump with 22 types but the 378 sure kills them dead anywhere along that line. bone fragments blast into the lung cavity with deadly force. Shot them along this line from hump to brisket just behind leg through the shoulder blades. The shoulder blades are very high go almost to the hump if you are back a foot you can hit a void.
Left to right is not a problem it's up and down that fools me.
Judging distance around 400 yards is often difficult for me.
And I have shot many moose, too many to remember but I remember hauling moose in a benet behind the tractor when I was 16 years old. Shot it with 303 british on our land in those days we were the farthest away from civilization but not anymore, I go there now and there ain't any trees left. It's been all deforested. It's almost makes me sick to see that now.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before anyone starts argueing have a look at the skeleton of a moose. http://theboneman.com/moose.html
Show me the void- the front is full of muscle to drive that animal and any muscle/bone damage knocks out front end and they fold up like a cheap lawn chair guaranteed. You need another shot to the head.

Last edited by 378Canuck; 12/30/07.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the skeleton link 378Canuck, It's a nice visual aid, better than some of the drawings I've seen.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,874
Posts18,518,082
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.