Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
My take, not that it matters, is that they took a known cheap rifle that shot well, without great aesthetics (but originally that was okay because everybody knew what it was intended to be) and made it stand out as uglier. On purpose. Even put thought and work into it, it appears.

Same with the Savage Axis II.

I'm admittedly not a synthetic stock fan, but geeze, can we save the space age looking hunting rifles for the next star wars movie?

I own 1 synthetic stocked rifle as a bad weather beater. Even though it's a M98 with all steel parts, it still lacks soul for me housed in that synthetic.

The type of stock that is on the rifle does not give it soul. What the rifle has done in it's life is what gives it "soul". My rifle with the most soul, wears a factory tupperware stock. When a rifle was a guys only rifle, and he cared for it and loved it, and took only that rifle on hunts, that is what gives it soul.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by OGB
Tough room!

My standard RAR in 308 has been fantastic. Accurate and dependable. At $350 it was a steal.

The only thing I dislike is the aforementioned safety that doesn't lock the bolt.

If they turn out to be compatible, I will order the new 3 position the moment they become available.

Could even be talked into the new model if they become available in LH.

Not likely at all, because there would be some kind of linkage to the bolt body, catching in a recess machined into the bolt body, which older models do not have.
Might be able to be retrofitted, but not easily

As far as left hand, I wouldn't put much money on that one either. Nothing in the new products. The predator LH models still are on the site, but that line probably will get dropped shortly.

The best LH Americans were the special run of LH SS rifles that Davidsons did.

Last edited by KenMi; 12/20/23.
O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by OGB
Tough room!

My standard RAR in 308 has been fantastic. Accurate and dependable. At $350 it was a steal.

The only thing I dislike is the aforementioned safety that doesn't lock the bolt.

If they turn out to be compatible, I will order the new 3 position the moment they become available.

Could even be talked into the new model if they become available in LH.

Not likely at all, because there would be some kind of linkage to the bolt body, catching in a recess machined into the bolt body, which older models do not have.
Might be able to be retrofitted, but not easily

As far as left hand, I wouldn't put much money on that one either. Nothing in the new products. The predator LH models still are on the site, but that line probably will get dropped shortly.

Not only am I left handed, I'm married with kids.

I'm used to being left out!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
My take, not that it matters, is that they took a known cheap rifle that shot well, without great aesthetics (but originally that was okay because everybody knew what it was intended to be) and made it stand out as uglier. On purpose. Even put thought and work into it, it appears.

Same with the Savage Axis II.

I'm admittedly not a synthetic stock fan, but geeze, can we save the space age looking hunting rifles for the next star wars movie?

I own 1 synthetic stocked rifle as a bad weather beater. Even though it's a M98 with all steel parts, it still lacks soul for me housed in that synthetic.

The type of stock that is on the rifle does not give it soul. What the rifle has done in it's life is what gives it "soul". My rifle with the most soul, wears a factory tupperware stock. When a rifle was a guys only rifle, and he cared for it and loved it, and took only that rifle on hunts, that is what gives it soul.

Your opinion but I disagree. First it was stamped metal, but at least polished and blued where needed, and still some hand care of the overall fit and finish. Now it's injection molded stocks and parts of all sorts.

The more a rifle is either made, or made to look like just a utilitarian tool, the more it becomes just that. Killing 50 deer with a hammer still makes that particular hammer, just another hammer.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
It's like the designers at Ruger challenged themselves by asking: "How could we build a rifle that's even uglier than a TC Dimension" and out from their drawing boards popped this hideous monstrosity.

No kidding.
Camo dipped stocks would have looked better than copying a home rattle can job.

And the twisted flutes are a waste. The expense for the fluting could have gone to a better stock design.

I like flutes as long as they are straight. I am not a fan of the twisted flutes. I can pretty much deal with the synthetic stock and cerro coating. But, not the twisted flutes. Just me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Douche fluting, but still has a plastic bolt shroud......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I'm pretty fond of mine.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JakeM78
More money for a rifle that likely still feeds badly.

My 308 American sporter was made in 2014.
Still running the original rotsry mag in it
It has always fed flawlessly. One of the smoothest feeding bolt rifles I have ever owned.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jk16

It has always fed flawlessly. One of the smoothest feeding bolt rifles I have ever owned.

That's sad, probably never owned a pre 64 model 70 (or any model 70 for that matter), Tikka, or even a m1917.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Tacticool bro! I can now run my Spacepro 10x100x85 mega scope, twist yo dials and splash the buckster and 2000 yards ovah in buttfugg county. Call me Scumlawd yo!
No thanks. I can afford what I want and that ain't it.

The way life should be.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They took an economy rifle and made it douchey. Yay...?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Folks b!tch if companies don’t make guns…
Folks b!tch if companies do make guns….

🤷🤷🤷🏿

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's sad, probably never owned a pre 64 model 70 (or any model 70 for that matter), Tikka, or even a m1917.

That's fair, my RAR is not as slick as my M70s and not close to my Tikka. That said, it is not "hitchy" like my M77s.

I've said this before, but I believe the cartridge (308) is a contributing factor. The geometry of that round with any remotely pointy bullet just wants to be in the chamber.

It is a bit disconcerting that despite having some pretty nice rifles, the RAR goes to woods with me more often than not. Mine is accurate, dependable and utilitarian to the extreme.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw one of these Gen 2s on Gun Deals yesterday for $598

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Folks b!tch if companies don’t make guns…
Folks b!tch if companies do make guns….

🤷🤷🤷🏿

I just bitch about people who bitch about people who bitch if companies do make guns and bitch if companies don't make guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
https://ruger.com/micros/newProducts/

there's some good looking guns if they'll perform at dollar per price point like the standard ones they're going to be awesome
It looks like Ruger finally made a stock that will fit me. I will give one a try.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

That's nice, my 223 feeds like a vegan at a steakhouse.

It's all good, some people are happy paying $125 for lipstick painted $20 rigging axe.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Motown
My kid wants to get a 350 legend and just showed him this and now he wants one. Might have to check out the 400 before committing though.

.350 Legend is a very good cartridge.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I've seen this assertion here before. Even in the "gunwriter section".

The plastic American rotary mag is the most frail, piece of sht, fkn garbage mag, ever made. I suspect guys haven't pushed the mag past their narrow, fair weather points of view.

Here's what happened with my rotary mag: repeated use with spicy recoiling 200 grain handloads in the 308 winchester, the tips of the bullets gouged the [bleep] out of the little Tupperware thingy. Would no longer reliably cycle.

Ordered 2 of the "improved" ruger mags from midway usa. BOTH mags bound up, before they were even put in the rifle. Too much flex from all the frail, flimsy plastic. Both were returned and I was stuck with a rifle that didn't work. The early mercan is not compatible with a ruger-supplied AI stock(I called them). So had to retrofit a boyds ai kit to the original stock.

I suspect this "gen 2" is simply a marketing ploy to cover the real reason for the change: Ruger was tired of the non-stop customer returns of a rifle that has a poorly engineered magazine. For example: Look guys! Twirly flutes! They have electrolytes! It's what plants crave.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/21/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
i'll try one just for grins

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,518
Posts18,530,579
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.