-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I got another 40 years, I'd be shocked.

As far as how long I want to go - the second I can't do what I want, the way I want to do it - put one in my ear. I don't want to be someone that others need to help get through the day. Or make special accommodations for. That includes some ramp up to the front door instead of steps.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JeffA
You want to be around long enough to be a burden and cash sapping responsibility for your loved ones?

No. I want my money to go to my sons, not some damn nursing home that's not worth living in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You want to be around long enough to be a burden and cash sapping responsibility for your loved ones?

I don't know anybody that does, but what if your body refuses to quit? Call Jack Kevorkian?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to stick around long enough for my son to get into at least his 20's and have his feet under him. That puts me at 60 or a little over. My life goals will have been accomplished and he can take over the torch. Everything will be paid off and he won't have a worry in the world. I don't want to leave a teenager in a stressful predicament. If I'm still healthy, good. If not, so be it.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Some of us greedy boomers have it set up that we will leave our children and grandchildren quite well off - and have sufficient resources and foresight to provide for our own needs no matter what until then.

Would you have worked as hard as you did to get where you are if someone gave you enough money when you were young to be well off ?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
At least a 101. I have said for years I want to do a solo moose hunt at 100. Then I can have a year to brag about it.

I wouldn't mind being like my great grandfather who got married at 103. All the folks he knew asked him why he'd want to get married at 103. He replied, "didn't want to, I had to." grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

No. I want my money to go to my sons, not some damn nursing home that's not worth living in.

I think the medical community as a whole has it down pat on draining your estate no matter what ya got.

They'll guilt trip your loved ones into keeping you alive even if you can do nothing but lay in bed and look at the ceiling if there is money in it.

I suppose if push ever came to shove I could move inner-city, buy a TV and live off take out delivery food or Uber trips and learn to be a couch potato.

Never done any of that for more than a couple days at a time.
Not too sure I'd take to it.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don’t know

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At least long enough to vote for Trump again!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Some of us greedy boomers have it set up that we will leave our children and grandchildren quite well off - and have sufficient resources and foresight to provide for our own needs no matter what until then.

Would you have worked as hard as you did to get where you are if someone gave you enough money when you were young to be well off ?

There’s something to be said for the character that answering an alarm clock every day builds and having to work or not pay the bills. There’s also something to be said for a lifetime of having the time to pursue interest and self enrichment also without having to sweat it.

It all comes down to good choices. Plenty of lazy worthless people that are born poor and die poor and humble hardworking people born into money.

Leaving something for our children to build on is something that motivates most of us to work.

IC B3

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I got no kids of my own, no family worthy enough to do anything but squander anything they were given.

All I'm leaving them is a big fat fu_ckin surprise when I die.

26 pages of will that says 'I love you but tuff luck'.
Everything is already legally in order.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For as long as I can and as long as I'm welcome. I want to be able to know when it's time to wrap things up. We (my wife and I) have often talked about how many don't know when it's time to leave the farm, or the campground, in our case, and move to town. Now, we are beginning to see just how difficult such a choice might be. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For as long as I can and as long as I'm welcome. I want to be able to know when it's time to wrap things up. We (my wife and I) have often talked about how many don't know when it's time to leave the farm, or the campground, in our case, and move to town. Now, we are beginning to see just how difficult such a choice might be. GD

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Living"?? I want to be cognizant enough to know when it's time to cash the check, and the means to do it.

No specific age.

Just put FIL into mental care, or wife's family did. Sad.

Last edited by las; 12/20/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pat85

I don't know anybody that does, but what if your body refuses to quit? Call Jack Kevorkian?

Running a grizzly off his fishing spot might do it. Or a walk through the hood at midnight if you are city bound.

Last edited by RHClark; 12/20/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I want to live to see Great grand Children,and Gilbert graduate from college. He's 7. and I'm 80.

Not gonna happen.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As long as my retirement and Social Security income is bringing in more than it is costing to keep me alive.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As long as I can get out and fish. I'm 75 and fish mostly alone averaging180 days each year counting ice fishing and in my boat. When I'm not fishing I am hunting so I stay busy. I've been doing this for the 22 years I have been retired.

living the good life every day
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85

In all honesty, Kevorkian had his place in this world.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
As long as I can get out and fish. I'm 75 and fish mostly alone averaging180 days each year counting ice fishing and in my boat. When I'm not fishing I am hunting so I stay busy. I've been doing this for the 22 years I have been retired.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1lessdog, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 41 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,807
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.