Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
CZ550 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bighorn, thanks for your input.

"and an African lion" - about 450 lbs, maybe?

I'm hunting black bear and those 250gr TTSX's are for that purpose. Some bl. bear can pass 600 lbs, but, of course, not the same critter. Nonetheless, they are powerful and fast. And that's not all fat. When they want to chase prey (elk or moose), or get excited they can make 30 - 35 mph. Seems like those 250 TTSX BTs are about right for the task.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Spring 2023

Loaded 250 TTSX to 2800 with Varget not maximum

Shot 5 Cape buffalo. First three were down with a single well placed shot. Last two were done after the first shot but each got a second to insure they stopped in a place they could be more easily recovered.

I don’t see the need for anything bigger provided one can shoot well. If one can’t shoot well with a 375 then something bigger isn’t going to improve the outcome.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TAG

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I’ve used that bullet on a few bull moose and a bear with good results.

C
CZ550 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks all... it looks like I've made a good choice as an all-around bullet for anything - now to get the accuracy I want at a decent MV. Bear hunt starting again on Sept 1st.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 07/30/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CZ550
Thanks all... it looks like I've made a good choice as an all-around bullet for anything - now to get the accuracy I want at a decent MV. Bear hunt starting again on Sept 1st.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I’ve used it (though at a bit more velocity) on several things from coyotes to moose…..I think you’ll be pleased.

Though, for me, they’ve made there last hunt. I’m working on a load with the 270 grain LRX’s. Slowly working up charges while shoot only during the heat of the day. The last 3 shot group was 1/2”, the previous groups were just a bit under 3/4”, but the velocity was a little lower than I was looking for. I’d love to get another 30 to 40 mv without pressure problems……and maintain that 1/2” group!

We will be waiting for the story! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/30/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I used the 250 TTSX in my 375 H&H Mag to take a couple of crop damage deer this past summer. Both were 150 yards and were DRT.
I shot a buck this year with the Nosler 260 E-Tip at 60 yards and it was DRT. I did recover the bullet in the hide in front of the off shoulder, it was a perfect mushroom.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A useful characteristic of the Barnes 0.375” 250 gr TTSX is that it will expand easily in lighter game while holding together for deep straight line penetration in heavy, thick-skinned game.

Dependably predictable results when driven to the kinds of MV easily achievable in both the Ruger and H&H cartridges without abnormal chamber pressures.

This bullet has become my go-to projectile when a solid is not needed.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some good information here.

The 375 W-by will chamber in my 375 H&H AI. Thanks for the info. I have only had excellent results with the TTSX bullets. I have some Barnes 235 grain X bullets 375 diameter someone could have along with some 225 grain X bullets in 35 caliber in the classifieds - $20 shipped if someone wanted them for testing.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/15/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RinB
Spring 2023

Shot 5 Cape buffalo. First three were down with a single well placed shot. Last two were done after the first shot but each got a second to insure they stopped in a place they could be more easily recovered.

I don’t see the need for anything bigger provided one can shoot well. If one can’t shoot well with a 375 then something bigger isn’t going to improve the outcome.
It’s been a curiosity to me why the 250 TTSX seemed a stepchild up against the more famous 270 TSX. It’s got better ballistic numbers, can be shot faster and flatter. And should kill critters about as dead.

I’m glad to see it getting some respect.

DF

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Spring 2023

It’s been a curiosity to me why the 250 TTSX seemed a stepchild up against the more famous 270 TSX. It’s got better ballistic numbers, can be shot faster and flatter. And should kill critters about as dead.

DF

Likely because most 375 hunters have zero need for "ballistic numbers, can be shot faster and flatter". I'll be returning to Alaska for brown bear next year and will use the same 270 gr TSX load I took six years ago. I am lost on why BC matters with the larger bore rounds?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Spring 2023

DF

Likely because most 375 hunters have zero need for "ballistic numbers, can be shot faster and flatter". I'll be returning to Alaska for brown bear next year and will use the same 270 gr TSX load I took six years ago. I am lost on why BC matters with the larger bore rounds?
Well, you’re right. Depends on the application.

I just like the 250 TTSX and like to see it getting some respect.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 375 loves the 250 gr GMX, 2800 fps seems like a do it all load

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by irfubar
My 375 loves the 250 gr GMX, 2800 fps seems like a do it all load
Would be interesting to see a side by side, GMX, TTSX.

DF

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by EdM
I am lost on why BC matters with the larger bore rounds?

Likely that .375 bullets' modest BC's are the only knock on using a 375. Judged on its failures, like many things.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
EdM to better respond to your comment……I am lost on why BC matters with the larger bore rounds

Not everyone uses the .375 H&H or one of it’s variations strictly for big game at close range. The .375 has been my “only” hunting caliber since 1982 or ‘83, and my AI since 1990. It’s been pretty effective on everything from coyotes to moose. I feel that it’s easily a big game cartridge to 900 yards or more with a good marksman…..though, my personal range limit is 600 yards in optimal conditions! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Originally Posted by EdM

Likely that .375 bullets' modest BC's are the only knock on using a 375. Judged on its failures, like many things.

With a G-1 BC of .449 for the Barnes 270 LRX ……it ain’t great, but ain’t that bad either! memtb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
BC matters even at 100 yards in terms of impact velocity. Thereafter, the difference only increases.
I prefer the 270 LRX over the TSX for that reason.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by EdM

With a G-1 BC of .449 for the Barnes 270 LRX ……it ain’t great, but ain’t that bad either! memtb

The 250 ttsx is close, at .424. Remarkably close for being 20 grains lighter and noticeably shorter.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by EdM

The 250 ttsx is close, at .424. Remarkably close for being 20 grains lighter and noticeably shorter.

Very true, but I want the most potential penetration that I can get. While it’s only 20 grains of bullet weight….it offers a bit more potential penetration as well as a slight BC advantage……win-win!

I sent numerous emails and made many phone calls to Barnes asking for a TTSX or LRX type bullet at around 290 grains for the .375 calibers. Perhaps a bit too long and too heavy for the H&H…..but should really shine in the improved H&H’s, the RUM’s, and the .378 Weatherby. memtb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.