H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Kimber 84M in 308 here.
SHV 3-10 in Talleys.
All in, loaded w 4 in it and a GI M1917 sling it's 7lbs 5oz
Carries and shoots like a dream.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hilarious! Hint..............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
That rifle looks kind of unkept and rusty, what's up with that? No time for regular cleaning and maintenance?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’m putting together a combo right now that should be a nice lightweight setup. I picked up a Kahles Helia CL 3-9x42 here on the free classifieds. A really nice 1” tube second focal plane scope that weighs in around 12 ounces. I needed a rifle to put it on, so I ordered a Tikka Superlite in .270 Winchester from the local Bass Pro. The whole package shouldn’t be much over 7 pounds.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Kimber Montana, 7mm-08 with Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight. Weights in at 5.755lbs empty (can’t load the scale pic). Had a 2.5-8x36, which was nice, but prefer the ultralight crosshairs. Great mountain rifle setup - light, balanced, accurate, and fun. 150 ELD-X has punished 9 buck so far. All I need for the Mtns I hunt

Attached Images
IMG_2273.jpeg (23.83 KB, 891 downloads)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigHills
Kimber Montana, 7mm-08 with Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight. Weights in at 5.755lbs empty (can’t load the scale pic). Had a 2.5-8x36, which was nice, but prefer the ultralight crosshairs. Great mountain rifle setup - light, balanced, accurate, and fun. 150 ELD-X has punished 9 buck so far. All I need for the Mtns I hunt

Wish that photo was bigger - it's a really nice one!

Where are you hunting BigHills?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I primarily hunt Northeast PA and southern zone NY. All public.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been nearly 2 hours,since I put a new one together. Hint.

Them Reupold 3-9x 33's are really sumptin'. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My 20" T3 .308 with edge stock has a 2.5-10x24 NF on it. It is as light as I want to go. Mechanically it is well below a .75 MOA rifle, and while shooting over the bags under ideal conditions, when I have been practicing a good bit (unlike lately) it has proven to be extremely consistent with the main load I shoot through it which is a 155 Scenar pushed by Varget.

That said, that is the "mechanical" accuracy. With me behind the gun and in very cold temps I usually hunt in, with the typical heavy clothes, and in the typical terrain I hunt, the little rifle is very hard to shoot tiny groups with. I am realistic about my ability under these conditions and try to build the most stable position I can if I have time before I take a shot. The addition of a bipod aid substantially, and I try to use my pack, or big mittens as rear support.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Most my shots tend to be in the mid to high 4s. Not by choice, it is just where I end up seeing animals and being in a position to shoot. Much of this is due to when and where I hunt though.

I will say that I have been messing with a T3 in 6.5 Manbun with a 24" barrel over the last few years. It is a regular T3x Lite version, but I stuck it in an older T3 varmint stock. This gave me a wide flat fore-end and a good cheekpiece. It is topped with an older 5.5-22 NF that I took off of one of my other rifles that I was not shooting much. The scope-rifle combo makes for a rig that is super easy to shoot well and is not overly heavy. Definitely heavier than my little 20" T3 .308, but there is little comparison when shooting the two side by side in field conditions.

If I was going to build a lightweight hunting rifle today, and was looking for an optic, I would choose a fixed 10X SWFA. Nope, it is not the lightest. That is OK though. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned making the rifle light, so you can put a proper optic on it, and I agree. In my experience, rifles that are too light are very difficult to shoot well at longer distances. This is keeping in context that I hunt terrain where I expect shots to be past 350 yards and out to 600 or so. A fixed 10X is great in that application and I use on one my .300wm.

Beautiful country.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
If I was going to build a lightweight hunting rifle today, and was looking for an optic, I would choose a fixed 10X SWFA. Nope, it is not the lightest. That is OK though. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned making the rifle light, so you can put a proper optic on it, and I agree. In my experience, rifles that are too light are very difficult to shoot well at longer distances. This is keeping in context that I hunt terrain where I expect shots to be past 350 yards and out to 600 or so. A fixed 10X is great in that application and I use on one my .300wm.

I have a 10X SWFA on my main hunting rifle that I use for most everything in open country. I have been chastised for it on this board, but that's OK. No regrets with the 10X, in any way, though I seem to get plenty of shots in open country where a 4X would be fine too. For that occasional 500+ yard shot, carrying the extra weight of a solid scope has been worth it.

Also beautiful country.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My only hangup with the 10x is the way it dies quickly in low light. The testing I did, you lose a good deal of time compared to a 6x or a variable that you can dial down.

I have a few that I really need to hunt though.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Magazine confines in a 84M or Mountain Ascent?

2.83-ish?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've said it a million fhuqking times that "Sooner or later,a 10x will bite you...but a 6x never will". Hint.

Mag latitude,is as cited. Though that's an 84L Smooching 180 ELD .796 BC's,in OEM guts. Hint.

Just saying.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by duke61
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hilarious! Hint..............

That rifle looks kind of unkept and rusty, what's up with that? No time for regular cleaning and maintenance?

He lays them in the creek next to the trout for scenic photos. That river water in Alaska not only cleans but also lubricates.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
Al,

That's a sensible little sporter. Do I recall that one being a 250AI?

Yes, it's a 250AI. I swapped the K6 for a Nikon 3-9 with a 'come ups' reticle for last years season. The gun is my family loaner and gets used for deer and antelope. Both my grandkiddos said they liked the K6 reticle better so it's back on there. With the Sierra #1610 87 gr. flat base, there's just two holds from the 200 yd. zero out to their comfort level for distance.

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Have a .270 win Fieldcraft chopped with ultra 7 and trijicon 3-9 accupoint. Also a 18” 6.5 prc with Ti action, going either 2.5-15 credo or klassik.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber 84M 6.5 3x9 SWFA.....another 84M in 7-08 also with SWFA 3x9, sitting in the safe.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Tika T3X .223 with 3x9 SWFA
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Brought home a third 84M in .308 today. Dropped the Leupold 2.5x8 w/Talleys on it - but a 6X or 3x9 SWFA will soon find its way there.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
My only hangup with the 10x is the way it dies quickly in low light. The testing I did, you lose a good deal of time compared to a 6x or a variable that you can dial down.

Anything even resembling POW Island or SE Alaska would find me with a 6X.
10X would be a disaster waiting to happen there…

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Calvin

Anything even resembling POW Island or SE Alaska would find me with a 6X.
10X would be a disaster waiting to happen there…

10x was tempting for alpine hunts. But the losing 10-15 minutes of being able to see the reticle on either end of daylight has kept me from hauling one up there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is NO hour glass associated with magnification. Exit pupil is a measurable trait and 4.2mm,will never exceed or meet 7mm exit pupil abilities. Hint.

Eye-relief,eye box and "friendliness" only grease those skids. Hint.

Locking turrets,zero stop,daylight bright illumination and a KILLER reticle are tough to beat (ala the cited BTR Gen2 2-12x Mil/Mil FFP LitBitch). Hint.

Just saying................

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
sako peak 90 308 (5 lb 10 oz)
trijicon accupoint 1-6 (~19.2 oz)
arc m-brace x-low rings (~5.2 oz)

a tank like set up, have since added a 1/2 oz pic rail scope tube mounted for o-light baldr qd night light
and 1/2 oz sap 2-rnd shell holder, for a total 7 lb 4 oz without ammo

Edit, put the low arc m-brace rings on as the x-low may have been too low, this rifle has a straighter higher comb than tikka to boot, it added 1/2 oz to move up to these rings

Attached Images
Last edited by stinkycoyote; 12/23/23.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.